Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:08 PM

266 posts, read 276,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill creek proud View Post
many of the buildings that are being built are 30 floors+
Whoopdee friggin doo......

Toronto has 30+ floor buildings going up in the far flug corners of the city, and even in the suburbs. Hell, the suburb of Mississauga has TWO 50+ story buildings built in the last decade, and a number of 30+ story buildings under construction right now.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
seattle has three 520'+ being built.
No it doesn't. There is only one under construction. The Amazon Tower at 2021 7th Avenue.

Quote:
one 560'+ starting soon.

One 660'+ starting in a few months.

one 795'+ proposed.

one 1,000'+ proposed.

ten 400'+ proposed.
Proposed or being built soon has no reflection on the current skyline, which is what the thread is about.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
The Seattle boosterism...it's just too much. Toronto's skyline is definitely more impressive. I really do like Seattle's skyline, but I think it's one of the more overrated ones, just like the city overall.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
so i dont know were towerman2 got only one 500'+ UC in seattle.
Both emporis and the SSP database confirm that the Amazon Tower at 2021 7th Avenue is the only 500+ foot building u/c in Seattle.

Toronto has 21 500+ FOOTERS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. And there are more breaking ground all the time.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM

233 posts, read 752,359 times
I feel about Toronto's skyline vs Seattle's the way I feel about the CN Tower and the Space Needle. CN is huge and impressive while the Space Needle is much smaller but so much more beautiful

Last edited by jr75; 05-12-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I feel about Toronto's skyline vs Seattle's the way I feel about the CN Tower and the Space Needle. CN is huge and impressive while the Space Needle is much smaller but so much more beautiful
I find the CN Tower impressive for its height and the fact that it was constructed in the mid 70's was deservedly recognized as a 'modern' day engineering wonder.. Having said that, I just don't see the appeal of the space needle - it looks flimsy and faddish.. It compliments the Seattle skyline just fine but neither the CN Tower nor the Space needle are exactly beautiful imo but the CN Tower looks like it could take a beating.. The Space needle looks like a loose stool that if you just kick one of its supports just a bit it'll topple over..

http://lifeafterpeople.wikia.com/wik..._collapses.png

Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Toronto's is bigger with more buildings but I honestly don't find it that impressive or pleasing to the eye. Seattle's is smaller but its quite impressive to me.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Toronto's is bigger with more buildings but I honestly don't find it that impressive or pleasing to the eye. Seattle's is smaller but its quite impressive to me.
I think Toronto is becoming impressive for its sheer size and density and even increasingly for its height ie Aura and One Bloor. Beauty however is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people would find the works of I.M Pei, Mies Van Der Rohe and Stone pleasing to the eye if you are fan of the International style. Scotiabank plaza is an outstanding piece of Pomo but yeah how it all comes together will either appeal to someone or will not and the sum is not always greater than the individual parts or on the flip side, the individual parts are greater on their own than the sum. One thing that can't be denied about T.O skyline is that it is truly one of the worlds most transformative.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

233 posts, read 752,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find the CN Tower impressive for its height and the fact that it was constructed in the mid 70's was deservedly recognized as a 'modern' day engineering wonder.. Having said that, I just don't see the appeal of the space needle - it looks flimsy and faddish.. It compliments the Seattle skyline just fine but neither the CN Tower nor the Space needle are exactly beautiful imo but the CN Tower looks like it could take a beating.. The Space needle looks like a loose stool that if you just kick one of its supports just a bit it'll topple over..

Image - Space needle collapses.png - Life After People Wiki
The Space Needle was also considered a modern day engineering wonder at the time. Looks wise the CN is butt ugly IMO. The CN is like a giant concrete toothpick while the Space Needle is a mid-century modern masterpiece.It's elegant,airy and futuristic looking. It was designed at a time of great forward thinking in America and it captures that well. This is the design era of Eames, George Nelson, Sarrinen etc. If you don't care for design during that time period than you won't like the Space Needle. I love it

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I think much of this is American homerism. I like the Space Needle but the CN Tower is far more iconic and impressive, as is Toronto's skyline and city as well. Seattle has better weather and a more beautiful landscape but Toronto wins everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City