Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times

Advertisements

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2524/...c5578819_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/...8e0fcb8f_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/...35631387_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,601 times
Umm... TO is much bigger than Seattle in almost every way (economy, city size, etc), so no comparison there.

But I gotta say, Seattle is much cleaner than TO.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 AM

925 posts, read 2,596,217 times
I've been to both cities, and the skyline of Toronto is bigger. It has a lot of buildings, from the lake heading northward. Seattle, on the other hand, while bigger than many cities, is smaller. In pictures, some people might say that they're the same size, but being in person, it is quite clear. Toronto wins this one.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Here are the highrise counts for those in doubt:

Toronto:

1780 Existing
100 Under Contruction
Skyscrapers of Toronto | Emporis.com

Seattle

218 Existing
9 Under Construction
Skyscrapers of Seattle | Emporis.com

The arguement the other guy made basing his vote to Seattle due to their density (and Toronto's lack of it) needs help.

Toronto's massive skyline cannot be captured in one shot to truely display the magnitude of it, the viewpoint from the lake is a mere 10% of what the skyline really is.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
So which skyline do you like better Density, Volume, Beauty, etc. Mine goes to Toronto
I like both skylines; but I have to say Toronto....seems to be larger.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,781,324 times
I'm a west coast guy and would LOVE to be a homer and vote fore Seattle, but my intellectual honesty won't let me lie.

Toronto beats Seattle by a large factor.

Seattle just isn't as impressive as most are making it to be, especially since i've been there up close in person. The space needle is short and far from the actual skyline. It makes for a pretty picture if you get angle correct and when it's clear enough to see Mt. Ranier.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM

233 posts, read 750,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I'm a west coast guy and would LOVE to be a homer and vote fore Seattle, but my intellectual honesty won't let me lie.

Toronto beats Seattle by a large factor.

Seattle just isn't as impressive as most are making it to be, especially since i've been there up close in person. The space needle is short and far from the actual skyline. It makes for a pretty picture if you get angle correct and when it's clear enough to see Mt. Ranier.
Whatever dude. Seattle is more impressive than photos suggest IMO. Height has nothing to do with how cool the space needle is. It's a mid-century modern classic! The Jetsons, the 60's and all it's forward looking futuristic aspirations, Mad Men, come on....For being the largest city of it's respective country, Toronto's skyline has never impressed me. I know there are lots of "highrises", but these are usually residential commie blocks that are 20 stories tall. Again, for being Canada's largest city you'd think there would be a sea of tall office towers that would blow Seattle away, the fact you can make a comparison between the two (Seattle the 24th largest in the U.S.)should give it away right there. The CN tower is super tall and impressive on that scale but architecturally IMO is like a concrete toothpick.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,993,970 times
Toronto has one of the most impressive skylines in the world. Seattle has one of the most overrated skylines in US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Whatever dude. Seattle is more impressive than photos suggest IMO. Height has nothing to do with how cool the space needle is. It's a mid-century modern classic! The Jetsons, the 60's and all it's forward looking futuristic aspirations, Mad Men, come on....For being the largest city of it's respective country, Toronto's skyline has never impressed me. I know there are lots of "highrises", but these are usually residential commie blocks that are 20 stories tall. Again, for being Canada's largest city you'd think there would be a sea of tall office towers that would blow Seattle away, the fact you can make a comparison between the two (Seattle the 24th largest in the U.S.)should give it away right there. The CN tower is super tall and impressive on that scale but architecturally IMO is like a concrete toothpick.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM

233 posts, read 750,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Toronto has one of the most impressive skylines in the world. Seattle has one of the most overrated skylines in US.
I don't think you've ever said anything good about Seattle in any post so that's your opinion. As far as Toronto having one of the best skylines I don't see it and that's my opinion.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,993,970 times
Don't want to go off topic but do you track everything I say? I did say Seattle has a good downtown for its size, which is street level. Skyline wise, Seattle is overrated. Honestly skyline wise, Seattle vs. Vancouver was a much better comparison, with Seattle winning in height and Vancouver winning in quantity. I said some good things of Seattle in that poll too. Seattle vs. Toronto is just too easy to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I don't think you've ever said anything good about Seattle in any post so that's your opinion. As far as Toronto having one of the best skylines I don't see it and that's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City