Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 AM

266 posts, read 276,385 times

Advertisements

Not many cities have a Dome that looks like Rogers Centre with a retractable roof.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It no doubt is more recognizable than Seattle but only becaue its the biggest city in Canada with a huge international draw.

Yeah but London does have buildngs like that "Egg shaped" buidling.
Big Ben for what its worth can be seen quite easily as it is not a high rise in the traditional sense

Philly has Legislative and Independence Halls and One and Two Penn Center.

Dallas has Fountain Place and Reunion Tower.
Denver has Wells Fargo Center
Atlanta has the Westin Peachtree and 191 Peachtree
San Francisco has the Trans America Building
Chicago has Willis Tower ,John Hancock,Smurfit-Stone Building

Most European cities dont have skylines like those in the U.S.and Canada.

So in terms of Toronto's buildings,there is not much to identify it other than CN Tower
I think you are nuts if you think that Dallas, Denver, Atlanta and most buildings in Chicago or S.F have more reconizable buildings globally than Toronto... So S.F has Trans and Chicago has Willis big woop truth is if those are gone most people would have a hard time recognizing them without one or two key landmarks... S.F with GGB and trans in pics would be more recognizable to more people than T.O that id buy.

I think this is just your way of finding one thing, anything to take a hit on Toronto. I mean Denver Wells Fargo, Dallas Fountain Place and Atlanta Westin Peachtree haha maybe they are famous to Americans but globally well known and recognizable in a way that connects them to a place, that is delusional. Now if you said if people looked at general pics of NYC, Las Vegas, S.F, L.A, Chicago and Miami now you would definately be talking but generic individual buildings and esp Denver, Atlanta Dallas and Philly - what is next Tulsa, Omaha and Des Moines have more reconizable buildings than Toronto....? Yup, im sure Joe blow in HK or Barcelona would be able to look at generic buildings in Little Rock and instantly connect them to Little Rock....I don't even know why you brought this up - what is next Atlanta has more recognizable Hot Dogs than Toronto to residents of Dhaka....

Last edited by fusion2; 06-30-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Going back to Seattle vs Toronto - 1.5 million people visit the CN Tower per year vs 1 million for the Space Needle so id say in this vs the CN Tower coupled with Rogers Centre and the larger number of Int visitors to T.O would make Toronto more recognizable to more people than Seattle.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
The Royal York Hotel is also an iconic, signature Toronto building. It is far more recognizable and well-known than any building in Denver or Dallas. That's for sure. In fact, worldwide most people have probably never even heard of Denver. And if they've heard of Dallas, it's only because of the t.v. show. Toronto is an Alpha World City. Those places are not.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
The Royal York Hotel is also an iconic, signature Toronto building. It is far more recognizable and well-known than any building in Denver or Dallas. That's for sure. In fact, worldwide most people have probably never even heard of Denver. And if they've heard of Dallas, it's only because of the t.v. show. Toronto is an Alpha World City. Those places are not.
^This fact that the Denver, Atlanta & Dallas buildings are being mentioned is comical. Barely anyone outside those cities notice or could point those buildings out if they were showed a picture.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 PM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Going back to Seattle vs Toronto - 1.5 million people visit the CN Tower per year vs 1 million for the Space Needle so id say in this vs the CN Tower coupled with Rogers Centre and the larger number of Int visitors to T.O would make Toronto more recognizable to more people than Seattle.
Toronto is located within a two hour plane flight from 150 million people. That isn't really a fair comparison. And no, no one thinks of the Roger Center in Toronto. Many cities have similar looking, and far more famous stadiums.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^This fact that the Denver, Atlanta & Dallas buildings are being mentioned is comical. Barely anyone outside those cities notice or could point those buildings out if they were showed a picture.
I'm sure many people could. Plus, the only recognizable thing about Toronto is the CN tower, so TO doesn't fair much better imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
A lot of people have heard about Denver. Everytime I've traveled out the country and told people where I'm from, they know exactly where I'm talking about. The only thing they seem to know about are the Broncos and mountains, but there's no doubt that many have heard of Denver. Same with Dallas. Who cares if people know it from tv? People still know the city and it's one of the top cities in North America, whether you admit it or not.

I really think people overrate Toronto's influence though. By no means is it a top city in the World. Not this day and age, anyway. Possibly in the future.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-30-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:16 PM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Honestly, what are you guys considering "recognizable?" You mean to Americans, who have a good idea of what other American and Canadian skylines look like? I assure you that if you went to Europe, Asia, South America or the Middle East, very few people would recognize the skylines of Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Dallas(I'm sorry but that's laughable), Philadelphia or many of the other cities mentioned. Heck, I think if you showed the Dallas or Philadelphia skylines to Americans, half wouldn't be able to tell which city they were looking at. Half would probably give responses like "Houston" or "Atlanta."

In North America, there are only two landmarks that are widely recognized world wide- the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Space Needle isn't, the CN Tower isn't, the Roger Center isn't.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Honestly, what are you guys considering "recognizable?" You mean to Americans, who have a good idea of what other American and Canadian skylines look like? I assure you that if you went to Europe, Asia, South America or the Middle East, very few people would recognize the skylines of Seattle, Toronto, Chicago, Dallas(I'm sorry but that's laughable), Philadelphia or many of the other cities mentioned. Heck, I think if you showed the Dallas or Philadelphia skylines to Americans, half wouldn't be able to tell which city they were looking at. Half would probably give responses like "Houston" or "Atlanta."

In North America, there are only two landmarks that are widely recognized world wide- the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Space Needle isn't, the CN Tower isn't, the Roger Center isn't.
The Hollywood sign too.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 AM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
And no, no one thinks of the Roger Center in Toronto.
Wrong. The Rogers Centre was the first of it's kind in the world. It's famous and iconic, contrary to what you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City