Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Yea. Many people in Dallas and Atlanta and Denver could recognize those buildings in their cities, but outside of that, unless you are very familiar with American skylines and skyscrapers, then people wouldn't know them. And that would be a majority of people.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver have zero iconic/recognizable national or international structures. Having one building with a little bit of a different shape here or there doesn't meant its iconic.
Seattle has 1 (Space Needle) and Toronto has at least 1 (CN Tower) iconic structure.
Yeah gotta give Seattle props for having the Space Needle, it is more iconic than most U.S buildings though clearly not as visited or iconic as the CN Tower.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually you'd be surprised....its typically an American phenomenon where y'all think only you are well known in the world and yes Internationally I think most things Toronto are more recognizable than more things Seattle which has nothing to do with the United States - honey the world ain't just about you.
If you didn't notice, I said that ONLY TWO structures in the United States, in fact all of North America, are recognizable world wide. I specifically said that Dallas, Atlanta and other cities mentioned have little to nothing recognizable to most outside of our continent. In fact I stated that many of the skylines mentioned(other than Toronto with it's CN Tower) have nothing recognizable to others throughout the world.

Of course it's not all about the US.

"I think most things Toronto are more recognizable than more things Seattle which has nothing to do with the United States."

I said that... I agree. I was saying its no surprise that the CN Tower gets more visitors than the Space Needle.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtowndenizen, give it up. Besides the CN Tower that other stuff no one knows. Or I should say very few.
Don't even bother- this is the same guy who called LA, Chicago and SF "B rate cities" and thinks that Toronto is NA second tourist mecca after NYC. Its fine having pride in your city, and Toronto is doing great, but he's as delusional as delusional gets.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
If you didn't notice, I said that ONLY TWO structures in the United States, in fact all of North America, are recognizable world wide. I specifically said that Dallas, Atlanta and other cities mentioned have little to nothing recognizable to most outside of our continent. In fact I stated that many of the skylines mentioned(other than Toronto with it's CN Tower) have nothing recognizable to others throughout the world.

Of course it's not all about the US.

"I think most things Toronto are more recognizable than more things Seattle which has nothing to do with the United States."

I said that... I agree. I was saying its no surprise that the CN Tower gets more visitors than the Space Needle.
Ok ok you are forgiven btw true story...I met a guy in Istanbul a few years back and he could recognize the Rogers Centre on google maps and even knew about the Jays. He was a student and wanted to come to Canada to study.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-01-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:30 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah gotta give Seattle props for having the Space Needle, it is more iconic than most U.S buildings though clearly not as visited or iconic as the CN Tower.
It's a UFO-looking tower that glows white at night; what's not to love about that. I personally love it when a city has a very distinct icon.

That being said, Toronto's skyline is just phenomenal.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's a UFO-looking tower that glows white at night; what's not to love about that. I personally love it when a city has a very distinct icon.

That being said, Toronto's skyline is just phenomenal.
Too be honest with you I like the Space Needle and just having fun... Seattle's skyline is great and I really enjoyed my visit to the city...Im an aviation geek so what is not to love.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 PM

98 posts, read 132,441 times
I find that Seattle's skyline isn't as nice in person as it looks in pictures, and Toronto is the opposite.

The common angle used from the island really doesn't do the Toronto skyline justice.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wt View Post
I find that Seattle's skyline isn't as nice in person as it looks in pictures, and Toronto is the opposite.

The common angle used from the island really doesn't do the Toronto skyline justice.
If you look back a few pages, some other members have posted some gorgeous photos of TO's skyline.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Don't even bother- this is the same guy who called LA, Chicago and SF "B rate cities"
Why must you lie SFNative? I never called those cities B rate cities.

Quote:
and thinks that Toronto is NA second tourist mecca after NYC. Its fine having pride in your city, and Toronto is doing great, but he's as delusional as delusional gets.
Well you're about 1000 times as delusional as I am.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtowndenizen, give it up. Besides the CN Tower that other stuff no one knows. Or I should say very few.
Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean everyone else is. I know of all those structures, and there are people far more familiar with the world than I am. Go back to the Central District. LOL.

Millions of people every year attend events at the Rogers Centre. Millions of tourists have visited Casa Loma. But I guess none of those millions of people have heard of these places that they've personally visited. They all must be as ignorant as you.

Give it up yourself.

Last edited by DowntownDenizen; 07-01-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City