Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,718,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Each city is somewhat different, if we're talking about the cities that placed on the Forbes ranking. For instance, Anaheim obviously has more leisure and convention-related tourists than business tourists. The same would apply for places like Orlando and Las Vegas.

As far as statistics go: http://www.charlottecvb.org/resource...tion_stats.pdf

Not sure what year these numbers are from; I want to say around 2006 or so.

You can see that business travelers disproportionately account for much of Charlotte's tourism dollars. They only account for 35% of all tourists, yet 50% of the tourism revenue.
But how does that compare to other cities is my point? For example, I recall another poster suggesting Richmond, VA had a larger toursit industry than us, they do not, but they do have roughly just as many Fortune 500 companies as us. Again, Charlotte gets a lot of business travelers, but so do a lot of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 PM

976 posts, read 1,101,224 times
As far as qulaity of life, or where most people would rather live, Charlotte - hands down. More impressive downtown - Miami.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,779,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
But how does that compare to other cities is my point? For example, I recall another poster suggesting Richmond, VA had a larger toursit industry than us, they do not, but they do have roughly just as many Fortune 500 companies as us. Again, Charlotte gets a lot of business travelers, but so do a lot of cities.
Not sure about other cities; it was hard enough for me to find that information about Charlotte, LOL. I don't know of any site that has all of that information in a central location, so it will be difficult to get the same data for different cities. I just referenced the Charlotte figures to show that business travel contributes a great deal to our tourism dollars.

I suspect that the poster who talked about Richmond having a larger tourism industry was coming at it from the angle of sightseeing, historical sites, etc.--the "typical" things we think of when we think about tourism, as in actually touring things.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,021 times
Quote:
Not sure about other cities; it was hard enough for me to find that information about Charlotte, LOL. I don't know of any site that has all of that information in a central location, so it will be difficult to get the same data for different cities. I just referenced the Charlotte figures to show that business travel contributes a great deal to our tourism dollars.

I suspect that the poster who talked about Richmond having a larger tourism industry was coming at it from the angle of sightseeing, historical sites, etc.--the "typical" things we think of when we think about tourism, as in actually touring things.
Yeah, but the "typical tourism" things don't draw people like Concord Mills for example.

quote "Concord Mills is North Carolina’s largest tourist attraction bringing in over 15 million visitors a year." Concord Mills NC

Sawgrass Mills (Concord Mills' older cousin in South Florida) has 12 million visitors per year by comparison. Obviously, 3 million more folks in South Florida has better things to do than go to the mall lol!

Still, it is pretty sad when malls attract that many more visitors than museums.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM

116 posts, read 244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
As far as qulaity of life, or where most people would rather live, Charlotte - hands down. More impressive downtown - Miami.
That's a weird statement considering so many more people live in Miami. Guess those extra several million people don't really want to live there?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,718,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
That's a weird statement considering so many more people live in Miami. Guess those extra several million people don't really want to live there?
Given the areas recent population decline, there appears to be a considerable amount of folks who indeed don’t want to live there….

Article: South Florida is losing population, continuing a two-year trend, a new UF report says -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,779,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, but the "typical tourism" things don't draw people like Concord Mills for example.

quote "Concord Mills is North Carolina’s largest tourist attraction bringing in over 15 million visitors a year." Concord Mills NC

Sawgrass Mills (Concord Mills' older cousin in South Florida) has 12 million visitors per year by comparison. Obviously, 3 million more folks in South Florida has better things to do than go to the mall lol!

Still, it is pretty sad when malls attract that many more visitors than museums.
Exactly. That's why I'll be glad when our cultural campus is up and running so we can bring in more of that type of tourism.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM

515 posts, read 1,053,974 times
Quote:
That's mainly due to business travel and the convention industry, and special events like the CIAA tournament help as well. In particular, Charlotte has been doing much better with large scale conventions lately, especially since the new Uptown arena debuted. And one should never underestimate the advantages that come along with having one of the busiest airports in the nation.

Exactly!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Two big banking towns in which there was considerable building booms in each city,which Downtown is more impressive? What is the Iconic building of each city? What building stands out the most and why?
Overall I would say Miami has a more impressive looking skyline...though Charlotte's has grown quickly.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

976 posts, read 1,101,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post

Miami is miserable. Almost every last caucasian has left. The quality of life is nothing like Charlotte offers - people think Miami is like how it's portrayed on tv - and its not, it's one of the poorest cities in the US, high crime, terrible road rage, and very unfriendly/ticked off NY'ers and foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City