Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you prefer to live?
Colorado 50 84.75%
Utah 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Utah has a strange, weird energy, and vibe. People are not as friendly as some like to think they are and my experience with SLC is that a lot of citizens have glazed over faces and don't look you in the eyes when you pass them by. Driving in Utah, you are more likely to get the finger than a smile. They are engrained to believe that they are superior to other states and that God blesses Utah. Several friends of mine who have visited SLC were freaked out by the strange energy there.
Good grief. What an idiotic and blatantly bigoted thing to say. (Not to mention the fact that it is completely untrue.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 AM

128 posts, read 267,806 times
Salt Lake has been changing and growing it has become a fairly progressive city I would say. I am gay and I live in downtown, I have no problem here there is plenty of nightlife, great people, good food, etc. While if I want to get out of the city I can drive 15 minutes and I'm hiking, biking, skiing, boating, fishing, snowshoeing, etc. I have lived in other areas and I can't just hop 10 minutes away and be hiking up a 10,000 foot mountain. Denver also has it's great areas to, I would say both cities have their good and bad sides but they both have SO much to offer. Anybody on here saying that Utah is just all mormons is completely wrong, Salt Lake County is now less than half LDS with SLC proper around 30%.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 AM

128 posts, read 267,806 times
One more thing a poster above said outside of Salt Lake Utah has no nightlife, have you ever heard of 25th street in Ogden? Welcome to Historic 25th Street Ogden, Utah!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good grief. What an idiotic and blatantly bigoted thing to say. (Not to mention the fact that it is completely untrue.)
I lived in SLC for many years and my opinion stands and there is nothing bigoted or untrue about it
It sums up my experience there and I lived right in downtown SLC. Utah is in its own little world, a bubble if you will. Sure it is just as beautiful as any other western state and there are some great people who live there, but the energy/vibe moreso in the SL Valley is strange . This is just my humble opinion from living there and believe it or not several other people share the same opinion. Also, many LDS people who live outside of Utah also feel the same way, it is not anything new. I cannot tell you how many people I know from Utah who are LDS and feel that the Lord blesses their state and that a desert patch in the Salt Flats is more beautiful then lush forests in Oregon. I guess there is nothing wrong with them feeling that way, to each their own right?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

451 posts, read 562,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger123 View Post
Salt Lake has been changing and growing it has become a fairly progressive city I would say. I am gay and I live in downtown, I have no problem here there is plenty of nightlife, great people, good food, etc. While if I want to get out of the city I can drive 15 minutes and I'm hiking, biking, skiing, boating, fishing, snowshoeing, etc. I have lived in other areas and I can't just hop 10 minutes away and be hiking up a 10,000 foot mountain. Denver also has it's great areas to, I would say both cities have their good and bad sides but they both have SO much to offer. Anybody on here saying that Utah is just all mormons is completely wrong, Salt Lake County is now less than half LDS with SLC proper around 30%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger123 View Post
One more thing a poster above said outside of Salt Lake Utah has no nightlife, have you ever heard of 25th street in Ogden? Welcome to Historic 25th Street Ogden, Utah!
I would generally agree with you on the fact that Salt Lake City is growing and has become a fairly progressive city.
HOWEVER, you unfairly misrepresent Salt Lake as having "plenty of nightlife" (although this topic could be pretty subjective). When most people think of nightlife, they think of late-night restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs, etc. SLC is greatly lacking in this category and does not deserve to be in the same sentence as Denver.
For the most part at night, SLC's streets are pretty desolate and you scarcely see people walking the streets at night. There are a couple of trendy places but these are few and far in between. Add this with the fact that SLC's blocks are long and boring, bar hoping is truly a burden. Even after a Jazz game, people pretty much grab their stuff and go back home.
It was only a couple of years ago that SLC finally got rid of weird law that limited 2 bars within a city block. This was a fairly progressive change. But then the "Great" State of Utah decided to stop issuing liquor licenses for a few years, based on State legislation which limits the amount of licenses based on the state's population (this is where the LDS church shows its influence). I could go on and on about liquor and Utah that would make anybody just want to . When it comes to this category, Utah is not progressive.
As for Ogden... Ogden has no nightlife. It's recently undergoing new development in downtown, but adding a movie theater and a couple of restaurants doesn't make it a talking point.

Last edited by latino_esq; 02-15-2013 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: editin

Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM

92 posts, read 105,532 times
Colorado has much better scenery and is much more culturally diverse.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
Colorado has much better scenery and is much more culturally diverse.
Culturally diverse, yes. Better scenery? Of course that is subjective based on personal opinion but I don't think this is true. Utah has amazing scenery in very diverse settings, as does Colorado. I think the two states are very much equals.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Culturally diverse, yes. Better scenery? Of course that is subjective based on personal opinion but I don't think this is true. Utah has amazing scenery in very diverse settings, as does Colorado. I think the two states are very much equals.
I agree. In my opinion, they might as well be one state. Both beautiful places with an equal amount to offer!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Im surprised s many people "dislike" Utah

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM

461 posts, read 545,855 times
I live in Colorado, and I'd vote for Utah over and over again. The people in Utah are infinitely better than Coloradans. Denver is half drunken grown up frat boys, and half hipster skateboard drug addicts. When we moved to Colorado, I thought that I wanted to live in Denver, but apart from a few unaffordable enclaves, the city is very very suburban, and a complete snooze if you're from either coast.

If Salt Lake City didn't have such poor air quality, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Colorado is a wasteland, and fairly expensive to boot. I've been out here less than a year, and it's turned into another liberal loony bin, with oppressive gun laws, legal marijuana, etc. The governor is a drunken doofus who will sign ANY left wing legislation that comes across his desk. The latest abomination out here is a boycott on hunting. So much for the western lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City