Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 PM

306 posts, read 316,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
None of those places dominate the Charlotte area. Their main economic life line is Charlotte. That's beside the point. I'll be a bit clearer. Charlotte does not have any dominating cities close by. Winston Salem, Greenville SC, and Hickory are the closest dominating cities to Charlotte. You will never hear of a Gastonia or Rock Hill metropolitan area. Kings Mountain is an incorporated city even though it's only 10,000 people, but it's not large enough to have it's own metro. Charlotte is the only sizable city in that part of NC and SC. As Urban refers to it. "Mono-centric!"

Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Winston Salem and Columbia are not cities, they are towns.
I have asked you to stop harassing me. I was not responding to you, and you continue to do this. STOP IT - NOW.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM

^ I am simply agreeing that in the Charlotte metro area, Charlotte is the dominate city. That is all.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,719,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
I think that he means big cities. Winston Salem and Columbia are smller places.
LOL. You changed your original comment about Winston-Salem and Columbia being "small towns".

Columbia

Winston-Salem

Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 PM

^ Yeah, I changed it because I didn't want to cause a stir.

I am aware of the sizes of those two places. Again, they are not major cities. I don't think that anyone is going to be jumping up and down in Charlotte because they have access to Columbia and Winston Salem. LOL

Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
LOL. You changed your original comment about Winston-Salem and Columbia being "small towns".

Columbia

Winston-Salem
Thank you...nice photos. In the context of the discussion (that some posters aren't able to comprehend), Winston-Salem and Columbia were considered dominant regional cities that are near Charlotte.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thank you...nice photos. In the context of the discussion (that some posters aren't able to comprehend), Winston-Salem and Columbia were considered dominant regional cities that are near Charlotte.
When did this happen?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Nashville has a consolidated city-county government. Charlotte annexes as the city grows.
What does this has to do with anything I posted?
Quote:
Therefore, Nashville includes huge portions of undeveloped land that will likely never be developed due to topography.
So does Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Miami, NYC, San Fran and MANY others. Again, what is your point?
Quote:
Unless you have been to Northwest Nashville and have seen the terrain you can't comment on this.
I have been there. And those "hills" outside of downtown Nashville are not nearly as dense as the hills surrounding Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (two metros that are more dense than metro Charlotte). Again, what is your point?
Quote:
It is also true that most of Nashville's metro population...and probably Charlotte's too clings to the city limit borders and along the interstate.
This is the case for almost every metro in America.
Quote:
The size of the counties is being used here but the populations are simply not spread out throughout the whole of Nashville's suburban counties.
Again, this is the case for EVERY city/metro in America. The highest densities of a metro are usually closest to the largest city in said metro. This is why I posted the numbers on both metros. I am sure we could cut out some "fat" off of Nashville's MSA/CSA to make it appear to be more dense. Just know that if we do this for Nashville, we must do it for Charlotte also.

A perfect example of "cutting fat" can be seen within Charlotte's MSA of 1.7 million (3,000 sq/mi). Anson county (BY FAR Charlotte's most rural MSA county) has only 25,000 people in a land area of 531 sq/mi. As a result, Charlotte's 1.7 million MSA population actually live in an area of roughly 2,500 sq/mi. Nashville's entire CSA (6,300 sq./mi) doesn't even have 1.7 million people yet. If we were to "cut" Nashville down to a MSA of 2,500 sq/mi, Nashville would have roughly 1.2 million people in its MSA. Charlotte (by comparison) only needs 1,250 sq./mi of land to come up with 1.2 million people. Again, both Charlotte and Nashville are BY NO MEANS an Atlanta, Miami, Houston, or Dallas. However, they (Charlotte and Nashville) are not the same size either. Only at the UA (urbanized area) level does Charlotte and Nashville come close to each other (and even that figure shows Charlotte as being slightly larger).

This is why I don't agree with the following statement of yours.
Quote:
Any large difference in population distance and proximity can be explained with topography and city government.
There is NOTHING to explain. Charlotte and Nashville are both GREAT!!! Neither city is "better" than the other one. However, strictly for the purposes of this Nashville vs. Charlotte thread. Charlotte is the larger/faster growing city that will most likely not be in the same tier as Nashville 10 to 15 years down the road.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-02-2009 at 02:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
OMG. What tier? Miami, Atlanta, Houston...? You're exaggerating. I didn't know a place of 1.8 million people is on the verge of being in the same leagues as places with 5.5-6 million... Stop bashing Nashville. Both areas area playing on the same playing field. Just because one outdoes the other in a set of stats YOU chose doesn't make one better than the other. You're taking this misleading Charlotte boosterism to new heights. Yeah Charlotte and Atlanta are in the same league. Stop embarrassing yourself.
I don't think, as DeaconJ explained, that urban was assessing Charlotte to the level of Atlanta, Miami, and Houston. Charlotte is more comparable to Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Indianapolis, etc. In the South more along the lines of Orlando, Tampa, and Baltimore. I know I will get some flack about putting Charlotte and Baltimore in the same category. Which is similiar to Nashville and Charlotte. My reason is that the GDP of these regions is similiar and their populations measure up. However, B'more CSA is in conjunction with D.C. which can explain the way bigger feel of B'more over Charlotte. But that is my opinion, and I do emphasize opinion.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,662,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I don't think, as DeaconJ explained, that urban was assessing Charlotte to the level of Atlanta, Miami, and Houston. Charlotte is more comparable to Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Indianapolis, etc. In the South more along the lines of Orlando, Tampa, and Baltimore. I know I will get some flack about putting Charlotte and Baltimore in the same category. Which is similiar to Nashville and Charlotte. My reason is that the GDP of these regions is similiar and their populations measure up. However, B'more CSA is in conjunction with D.C. which can explain the way bigger feel of B'more over Charlotte. But that is my opinion, and I do emphasize opinion.

You know what, I absolutely agree with Urban's last post, but I have to pump the breaks on you. Charlotte is NOT on Baltimore's level. They can't even be compared. Charlotte's population fits into the small 80 sq miles that is Baltimore. Baltimore's MSA is much more dense and urban. Baltimore's CSA is larger than the state of Virginia! I know Charlotteans are very proud citizens, but let's be realistic here. GDP is not only determining factor when comparing regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City