Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM

196 posts, read 614,356 times

Advertisements

I live in Brooklyn and I love it, but I'm not sure I fit in. Brooklyn is a city of neighborhoods and, to an extent, the whole point is community and friendship. Its power comes from the density that brings people together and causes them to organize and coöperate. I'm not a community-oriented person in many ways--I get nervous in large groups. After college, I plan to try and live out the rest of my life alone. The paradox here is that I'm looking for an exciting, dynamic, dense, urban city--which I love not only for the amenities but for the feeling that things are happening and I can just watch them unfold and soak it all in--but I'm looking for an interesting life that is not social. Having visited Philly numerous times, I get the impression that young people run into each other and hang out in posses around Center City, but it's also got good museums and other things to enjoy that can be solitary. I don't know much firsthand about Boston, but I get the impression it's a very pubbing-and-clubbing kind of city. Pittsburgh seems nice, especially since the rivers and hills are so pretty, but I wonder if I might tire of what there is to do there?

Basically my question is: where are people (especially young people) happening, but not necessarily to each other? Feel free to discuss on your own terms, not just my stated needs; the OP isn't God, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Seattle maybe. It has a disproportionately high number of people living alone there. People there aren't known for being sociable. Heard of the Seattle Freeze or the nice/ice phenomena of the Northwest?

It's not as bustling as East Coast cities though, but still lots to keep your attention.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:40 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Although I love to gab with most strangers and answer questions on Boston and its offerings, I'm a loner who lives in an ordinary small room versus living with roomies in a nice place at a fraction of the cost. I can relate to you.

I love riding the Boston subways and observing the passengers; if the train is rather empty, I'll look at the scenary (or lack of along some tracks). I go to festivals or farmers' markets by myself, and enjoy discovering the branch libraries in Boston and nearby towns and cities. Love treying ice cream shops and upscale bakeries on my jaunts into town via subway.

Boston is infested with students and yuppies. You won't have a car expense, as the subway pass is $59 monthly.

I love walking the neighborhoods and noticing small architectural details each time on the same block, depending if the setting sun is blasting a brownstone in a certain shade at that moment -- or admiring freshly fallen snow adhering to the rooftops and wrought-iron railings of the tall steps of South End brownstones. I admire the Beacon Hill and South End flower boxes and flower pots.

You'll never tire of seeing the sunset and the sailboats and rowers on parts of the Charles River esplanade. The expanding and improving HarborWalk, and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and its fountains are joys also.

The views out to the harbor islands from the beaches and Castle Island in Southie are delightful.

Boston...try it, you'll love it (most people will, not all).

Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Although I love to gab with most strangers and answer questions on Boston and its offerings, I'm a loner who lives in an ordinary small room versus living with roomies in a nice place at a fraction of the cost. I can relate to you.

I love riding the Boston subways and observing the passengers; if the train is rather empty, I'll look at the scenary (or lack of along some tracks). I go to festivals or farmers' markets by myself, and enjoy discovering the branch libraries in Boston and nearby towns and cities. Love treying ice cream shops and upscale bakeries on my jaunts into town via subway.

Boston is infested with students and yuppies. You won't have a car expense, as the subway pass is $59 monthly.

I love walking the neighborhoods and noticing small architectural details each time on the same block, depending if the setting sun is blasting a brownstone in a certain shade at that moment -- or admiring freshly fallen snow adhering to the rooftops and wrought-iron railings of the tall steps of South End brownstones. I admire the Beacon Hill and South End flower boxes and flower pots.

You'll never tire of seeing the sunset and the sailboats and rowers on parts of the Charles River esplanade. The expanding and improving HarborWalk, and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and its fountains are joys also.

The views out to the harbor islands from the beaches and Castle Island in Southie are delightful.

Boston...try it, you'll love it (most people will, not all).
This pretty sums it up for me

Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
This pretty sums it up for me
Me too. Loved living in Back Bay, Boston as a single guy. I often think about moving back there.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Well you can move to a mountain or go to the rural south

Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
If you are a loner type (which I am too), I think you can do well in just about any large city. Large cities have enough things to do and see that you don't have to get involved in a social scene if you don't want to.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well you can move to a mountain or go to the rural south
LOL if the OP moves to the rural South, he will be pestered to death by well-meaning neighbors offering coffee cake and church invitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City