U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 129 52.44%
Houston 39 15.85%
Dallas 25 10.16%
Atlanta 53 21.54%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,955,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
That's is not subway it doesn't travel underground like marta. There are several areas in which marta travels underground big one which is downtown. Can you sit here and honestly say Dallas has a real subway system. I mean really look at the 2. My friend and you be the judge of that
Wow, did you not see in the first video DART going underground???? Did you watch the video???

http://www.i45parkway.com/i45-images...ral-06-250.jpg

YouTube - DART Blue Line arrival at Cityplace Station

YouTube - Mockingbird Station To Cityplace Station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM

12,871 posts, read 19,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
While I think we all can agree that Light rail is inferior to Heavy rail. Dallas is going to have the most extensive rail system in the south. Atlanta will have the heavy rail, but it won't cover as much ground as DART does.
Who's to say how much ground Atlanta rail will cover in the future? The Beltline alone will add 22 miles of light rail to our infrastructure:

BeltLine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Who's to say how much ground Atlanta rail will cover in the future? The Beltline alone will add 22 miles of light rail to our infrastructure:

BeltLine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Talking more about with the information we have now. All I know about ATL expanding its rail is the Beltline. However, Dallas will still have more coverage.

Dallas

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM

10,263 posts, read 11,034,825 times
Quote:
That's is not subway it doesn't travel underground like marta. There are several areas in which marta travels underground big one which is downtown. Can you sit here and honestly say Dallas has a real subway system. I mean really look at the 2. My friend and you be the judge of that. Dart will cover more area while Atlanta will continue to have a much higher ridership than dallas and will be listed as the most used system in the South
We agreed that MARTA is more attractive. It wont cover as much ground as DART. Also DART will expand further into the suburbs than MARTA does. This will make it easier for people all the way in Plano, Irving, Garland, Carrollton, and even an expansion all the way to Denton to get to downtown Dallas.

It doesnt matter if its above ground or underground other than the fact that being underground "feels" more urban.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM

3,596 posts, read 4,310,459 times
Quote:
Dallas has a subway......Also it has it's own lane and doesn't really interfere with traffic when it runs through downtown.

YouTube - Dallas Subway Ramp III (HD) Apr 2009

YouTube - Dallas Dart Rail in downtown Dallas

While I think we all can agree that Light rail is inferior to Heavy rail. Dallas is going to have the most extensive rail system in the south. Atlanta will have the heavy rail, but it won't cover as much ground as DART does.
I dont agree that light rail is inferior to heavy rail. The advantage of light rail is it more flexible than heavy rail. It has the ability to make frequent stops. With heavy rail you can't do that. People how hard is it to accept that DART in the future will cover more ground than MARTA.

Last edited by kdogg817; 09-23-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I dont agree that light rail is inferior to heavy rail. The advantage of light rail is it more flexible than heavy rail. It has the ability to make frequent stops. With heavy rail you can't do that. People how hard is it to accept that DART in the future will cover more ground than MARTA.
Heavy Rail travels faster and has a higher capacity. Those are two things that attract people to rail.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM

183 posts, read 76,008 times
Quote:

Compared to what ride here it looks like you just road a train under a shed.that's not a true underground tunnel. With a onesided platform. You need to ride a real subway system and you will feel the difference.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM

4,897 posts, read 5,574,229 times
Quote:
Wow, did you not see in the first video DART going underground???? Did you watch the video???

http://www.i45parkway.com/i45-images...ral-06-250.jpg

You've got to walk down stairs to get on and off of a Dallas train? How will people in wheelchairs ride this? Sightless riders will also have trouble with this design. Dallas SERIOUSLY needs some low-floor trains. The current trains' design is flawed badly.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM

3,596 posts, read 4,310,459 times
Quote:
Compared to what ride here it looks like you just road a train under a shed.that's not a true underground tunnel. With a onesided platform. You need to ride a real subway system and you will feel the difference.
Honestly who cares? Once again really how hard is it to accept DART will cover more ground than MARTA in the future.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM

183 posts, read 76,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
We understand Dart will cover more ground. But it won carry numbers that marta has you cqan have 12 lines but if no one is riding it then what's the point of having. I'm fine with the coverage marta has because I live in midtownaand its right down the street from my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City