U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 128 52.24%
Houston 39 15.92%
Dallas 25 10.20%
Atlanta 53 21.63%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
 
183 posts, read 68,851 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you visited Dallas?

College Park is just like the Cockrell Hill area of Dallas, and DART goes there. Dunwoody is very similar to Plano and DART goes there. The only think we have thats like Sandy Springs is on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex and its called Southlake.

Im not argueing whether those areas are urban or not, but I will say for a fact that if College Park is urban, so is Cokrell Hill and if Dunwoody is urban, so is Plano.
First off I didn't say College park was urban I sa we have more stations I urban areas. Jluke mentioned college park
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,155 posts, read 10,510,786 times
Reputation: 6577
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
First off I didn't say College park was urban I sa we have more stations I urban areas. Jluke mentioned college park
Have you been to Dallas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,134,465 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Google streetview

I don't have to actually visit a place and attempt to walk on the side of the curb (because it lacks lots of sidewalks) to determine if it's walkable or not.

I'm not judging the culture or the city itself; I'm judging how the city is planned.
Whatever. I would never make the claims you have without actually visiting a place, as would most people.

I still stand by my claim that you really don't know what you are talking about here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,657,615 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Whatever. I would never make the claims you have without actually visiting a place, as would most people.

I still stand by my claim that you really don't know what you are talking about here.


Exactly . I've never been to Detroit, but I wouldn't dare make a judgment on the layout or planning of a city and I haven't been there to drive around, talk to the people, etc. to make such rash judgments and assesments of the area. No matter how many pictures I look at or surf around on Google Streetview. Neither tell the entire story.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Whoops, I meant "resembles an exurb" . When you say "resembles an exurb," do you mean just by the large lots that the houses sit on alone? Because there are several parts of SS that have large apartment complexes and heavily developed commercial zones. What exurbs of DFW have that type of development?


The lots in the suburbs of DFW and Houston are waaay smaller, but at least most of those houses have privacy fences. Something that I see a serious lack of in the Atlanta suburbs.

Well it depends on your definition of an exurb. For Dallas, Waxahacie,Tx. However, it's more of it's own city. So I would say Red Oak or Ferris,Tx
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,657,615 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it depends on your definition of an exurb. For Dallas, Waxahacie,Tx. However, it's more of it's own city. So I would say Red Oak or Ferris,Tx

Is Red Oak a major commercial employment center like Sandy Springs?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
 
183 posts, read 68,851 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Have even been to Dallas? If you had, I doubt you compare far north Dallas with Sandy Springs. Nothing alike.

Atlantaguy, have you ever been to Dallas?
Yes I just left dallas 2 weeks ago from hbelping a friend move back to atlanta
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Exactly . I've never been to Detroit, but I wouldn't dare make a judgment on the layout or planning of a city and I haven't been there to drive around, talk to the people, etc. to make such rash judgments and assesments of the area. No matter how many pictures I look at or surf around on Google Streetview. Neither tell the entire story.
You don't have to visit a city to know it's not walkable. It's like me saying "Oh I've never been to New York City, but I've seen tons and tons of pictures of it. However, I doubt it's walkable and urban, but I have to visit it first to pass judgement".

If I went on about Sandy Springs being bored, uncultured, ugly, dry, and more BS. That would be a huge reach; however, I spoke only about the layout of the city. You guys just couldn't handle the criticism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
 
2,532 posts, read 3,657,615 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You don't have to visit a city to know it's not walkable. It's like me saying "Oh I've never been to New York City, but I've seen tons and tons of pictures of it. However, I doubt it's walkable and urban, but I have to visit it first to pass judgement".

If I went on about Sandy Springs being bored, uncultured, ugly, dry, and more BS. That would be a huge reach; however, I spoke only about the layout of the city. You guys just couldn't handle the criticism.

Please. This has nothing to do with "handling" criticism, and everything to do with you making a questionable comparison after having confessed that you've never.even.been.to.Atlanta. So you have no credibility to make such judgments and assessments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,351,808 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Is Red Oak a major commercial employment center like Sandy http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...885946Springs?
Nope, but it's purpose as an exurb is mainly for residential. Now your just looking to deep into my comment towards SS. Me saying SS resembled an exurb or SS looks and functions just like an exurb are two different things.

I guess I should've been more specific; my comment about it resembling an exurb was mostly towards how the houses were on large lots, lacked sidewalks, and had a rural look to it.

I have to go to class, but when I come back I'll show you an example (if the thread isn't closed) lol
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top