Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Houston was incorporated in the 1830s. Dallas was incorporated in the 1856. But Dallas, Houston, and Miami all didn't really start rapidly growing until after WWII.

Wow. The 90s? What about the pre-Civil War days or how Atlanta was a major rail hub between the North and South for a lot longer than "the 90s"?
I'm talking world-wide prominence that actually put this city on the international map. Cities like NYC and SF were important and booming during the 19th century and that's why they have so many historic structures today and why they are so urban. Atlanta didn't boom until the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't even count Atlanta as a historic city. Historic cities to me are cities that were of great importance back in the 19th century or earlier. Atlanta didn't really even rise to prominence arguably until the 90s. That's literally how young this city is when it comes to development and status.
I consider Atlanta the most historic of the others. Atlanta, not a port city, was a creation of the new fangled railroad system. It was the result of the early Industrial era and was an important transportation and industrial town even in it's infancy. No other city gained the kind of fame Atlanta gained from the publication of Gone With The Wind and the movie based on it. The Civil War really put Atlanta on the map, and in my opinion, it was the fall of Atlanta that sealed the defeat of the Confederacy - not Gettysburg.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
As for Asians, Orlando does get more but really a ton of those Asians also make their way down to Miami too. No reason to not see both when so far away from Home. Also Miami has seen a major uptick in Asian tourist and residents the past few years. I have never seen so many Asian tourist in Miami before and the numbers keep going up. Wont be too long before Miami has a non-stop Miami-Tokyo flight.
Not really. The reason Orlando gets more Asians has everything to do with Mickey Mouse and nothing else.

A MIA-Asia nonstop flight wont fill up on anything but connections unless they can market the whole state. Asia-Orlando is a larger market and that has to be part of the marketing.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think Miami was only incorporated as a town in something like 1896 ... that makes it barely more than one hundred ten years old. I think both Houston and Dallas pre-date the US Civil War.
Im not really talking about when the cities were founded. Dallas and Houston bloomed later than even South Florida did. South Florida started getting a lot more residents earlier.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am interested in architecture and high rise construction, so I am always browsing around in www.Skyscraperpage and also www.Skyscrapercity. In the last few years I was shocked to find it was Miami (of all the Sunbelt metropolises mentioned here) that rated the "best skyline." In fact Miami seems to make it in the top 5 of all US cities for impressive skylines ... surprising because Houston and Atlanta has buildings by famous architects.

Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are older, established, and more historic cities. They are each wonderful in their own way. Fifty years ago, Miami would not even be on a list of important southern metropolises. Somehow, Miami captured something the other cities don't have: glamor, mystique, excitement, international cachet, tourist popularity. Visitors from Europe, Asia, and South America want to see Miami. More movies and TV shows are made in Miami, than the other three.

So my vote went for Miami.
Miami currently has 59 buildings over 400 feet tall which is impressive for a city that is only 35 square miles. I think Miami may have surpassed Houston already in the #'s of buildings that are over 500 feet too with 28 towers over that height now and another 5 currently under construction.
There are another 4 towers under construction between 400-500 feet.

You can click here to see what's in store for Miami :
Magazine's Miami 2020 Depictions Are Of A Concrete Jungle - The Future - Curbed Miami

By the way Miami was never a "town". It was incorporated as a city on July 28, 1896 three months after Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast railroad reached Miami.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Europe and South America for sure, but Miami gets very few visitors from Asia. Orlando gets far more.

Also, since when are Dallas and Houston historic cities? Atlanta sure, but Dallas and Houston developed even later than Miami did.
Dallas, and Houston are older cities than Miami. Miami is the youngest of the 4. What Clark said about Miami's quick-rise is correct. One of Miami's nicknames is Magic City, and that was due to how quickly the city transformed from a backwater swamp town, to an international-party destination, and a center of business in Latin-America. Miami had one of he biggest transformations of any city, in a 10-15yr period. I don't know how Miami's quick-rise contributes it being the "most urban" within the context of this thread, but what Clark said is pretty accurate. Miami doesn't have the pre-civil war Southern history, that the other cities have.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't even count Atlanta as a historic city. Historic cities to me are cities that were of great importance back in the 19th century or earlier. Atlanta didn't really even rise to prominence arguably until the 90s. That's literally how young this city is when it comes to development and status.
Atlanta probably has the most pre-civil war history of the 4 cities. Remember, the city was burned down by Sherman, and they had to re-build post-civil war.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Atlanta has been plenty important for a while now. It was pretty important in the Civil War. I learned about Atlanta's importance by walking through the tunnels at the Atlanta Airport recently. Nice little exhibit there.

Miami is one of the youngest major world metro areas in the world. I am pretty sure it is the young Alpha city in the world. The speed in which Miami has become a world player is nothing short of remarkable. \

As for Asians, Orlando does get more but really a ton of those Asians also make their way down to Miami too. No reason to not see both when so far away from Home. Also Miami has seen a major uptick in Asian tourist and residents the past few years. I have never seen so many Asian tourist in Miami before and the numbers keep going up. Wont be too long before Miami has a non-stop Miami-Tokyo flight.
Yeah, there are a few little signs of Asian enclaves popping up here and there around South Florida. Especially in Broward. There's also a little Garment district, with Korean clothes. The area is near Wynwood. But yeah, Miami might be the youngest Alpha city.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Miami, Houston, and Dallas didn't appear in the rankings together until around 1960.

Historical Metropolitan Populations of the United States - Peakbagger.com

By last census, they are right next to each other. They've been around the same size for the past 60 years. Houston and Dallas metro areas didn't really start growing until the 40s.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Atlanta's got to be the metro that has rose the prominence quickest in U.S. history. It wasn't even top 20 until 1970, then it just zoomed past many metros in the past 40 years. It's impressive. I even just said in this thread Atlanta was nothing until at least the 70s, but wasn't on the world map until the 1990s. It's such a young city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City