Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 4 would you like to live in? Can choose multiple
Coloumbus 32 32.65%
Indianapolis 34 34.69%
Nashville 58 59.18%
Louisville 19 19.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

My GF has family in Frankfort she wants to be near.

We think we have narrowed it down to these 4.

Of these, what is your opinion?

How would you compare/contrast them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
All four are nice cities. I like them all...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
You're listing four distinct cities. Please list criteria to compare (arts, crime, etc)

Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Louisville is closest and has a giant baseball bat. Indianapolis has a monument. Nashville has an NHL team. Columbus has a college football team that poops itself everytime they play a big name opponent.

Which one do YOU want to be associated with?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Where is "Coloumbus"? Did the OP mean Columbus OH?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
For GF

Safe
Proximity (to Frankfort)
few natural disasters

For moi

Arts/Culture
Decent Colleges
Bright Future
ok traffic
more socially liberal than conservative (or very live and let live)
affordable
Nice parks/zoos

the usual...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 AM

They are all at near equal risk for natural disasters; with the primary threat being tornadoes/severe thunderstorms.

They all probably have areas that are safe. It is a matter of what area of the city you are looking for. I don't know as much about Columbus; but Indy, Louisville, and Nashville all have safe areas within the city limits; and of course the usual suspects as far as suburbia.

Nashville has more traffic than Louisville and Indianapolis.

Everything else, I can speak to my city, Indianapolis. We have an arts scene; the Fountain Square art fair was last weekend, and the Rocky Ripple fest is this weekend. We also have the Broad Ripple Art Fair in May, Penrod was a few weeks ago. There are others in addition to those as well. Indianapolis has several art centers and galleries; many of which are free to browse.

IUPUI is in downtown Indianapolis; Butler to the north, UIndy to the south.

Indianapolis is a pretty "live and let live" kind of place; as I would imagine Louisville, Nashville, and Columbus are. I think that is a terribly overrated factor; as every big city is going to have the socially progressive types. In any of the 4 cities, you could encounter a non-progressive.

I have never, not once, been to the Indianapolis Zoo. We do have a lot of parks. In particular, Indianapolis has the Monon trail that stretches from just north of downtown all the way up to Westfield, IN. The Culture Trail is in the process of being built downtown; which will link several areas of downtown to the Monon. It is a pretty innovative undertaking.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Louisville is closest and has a giant baseball bat. Indianapolis has a monument. Nashville has an NHL team. Columbus has a college football team that poops itself everytime they play a big name opponent.

Which one do YOU want to be associated with?
Columbus also has an NHL team. They made the playoffs this year. How did Nashville's team do this year?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
My GF has family in Frankfort she wants to be near.

We think we have narrowed it down to these 4.

Of these, what is your opinion?

How would you compare/contrast them?
Oh no, not a Kentucky girl! I am married to a Kentucky girl. My guess is your GF wants to be "home" and you want to be in the biggest city near her "home". If this is the case (which it was for me), your GF won't be happy unless she is near Frankfort. Lexington will be your largest city. Sorry to tell ya, but when Kentucky girls are ready to go "home", nothing else matters.

I'd stay in Tampa if I were you and call her bluff. She ain't going anywhere if you aren't coming with her. If she does, you are better off single. Your opportunity in Florida is so much brighter than what it would be in "small town" Kentucky.

If she is too good to let go, you might be able to sway her into Louisville. To do this, tell her you would really love to move to Miami (a city that is farther away from KY). Then "compromise" and pick Louisville. If you say Louisville first, she will try to sway you into Frankfort. Stand your ground!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Columbus also has an NHL team. They made the playoffs this year. How did Nashville's team do this year?
Don't make me go Jordan Tootoo on you

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City