U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of the following cities do you consider "World-Class"?
New York City 398 74.81%
Los Angeles 300 56.39%
Chicago 340 63.91%
Houston 106 19.92%
Dallas 82 15.41%
Phoenix 18 3.38%
Philadelphia 104 19.55%
San Antoine 39 7.33%
San Francisco 292 54.89%
Austin 25 4.70%
Boston 181 34.02%
Washington D.C. 255 47.93%
Seattle 114 21.43%
Denver 29 5.45%
Charlotte 20 3.76%
Portland 19 3.57%
Tucson 12 2.26%
Las Vegas 59 11.09%
Atlanta 87 16.35%
Omaha 17 3.20%
Minneapolis 31 5.83%
Honolulu 39 7.33%
Pittsburgh 16 3.01%
Raleigh 17 3.20%
Other (Please elaborate) 26 4.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 532. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 PM
 
425 posts, read 271,653 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

Ohhh, okay, so because a local newspaper says so. Got it.

 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,588,551 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Why is ScrantiX using an entire region to compare against alone cities?
I'm pretty sure the discussion is about MSAs/CSAs...not city limits.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
 
425 posts, read 271,653 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Why is ScrantiX using an entire region to compare against alone cities?

Because he knows SF as a city itself, doesnt compare to NYC, LA and Chicago, are arguably others like DC, Boston, etc.


SF is a place that needs a lot of help to climb the ranks, is basically all hes proving, while these cities do it on their own.

Its a complex.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM
 
425 posts, read 271,653 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What cities in the US have most of the aspects that make a city great. Great people, great food, culture, activities, landmarks, parks, walkable neighborhoods, etc etc. We all know that no city in the US meets each and every criteria but which do you consider the closest. A city that you can truly call "World-Class".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm pretty sure the discussion is about MSAs/CSAs...not city limits.



Yeah, no.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
2,346 posts, read 3,232,256 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Ohhh, okay, so because a local newspaper says so. Got it.
Read why?

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...150_sector.jpg

San Francisco's economy after the collapse of its financial market and departure of BOA to NC has been integrated with the rest of SV. I would know, I work in a SV company in San Francisco but hey don't let that stop Chicago's tirade as being a more important financial center. Which seems to be all that matters here, right?

Last edited by JMT; 09-15-2012 at 04:54 PM..
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM
 
425 posts, read 271,653 times
Reputation: 138
Whats that you say?

SF needs more help again. (Common theme). The SV integrated SF into its economy.

Its a loose definition.


Repeating the same stuff over and over and over again, because you live in your own little world where SF is more of a world class city than NYC, LA, and Chicago, doesnt make it true.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,176,075 times
Reputation: 2355
So is SF a world class city or not?

Why is there so much arguing over a simple yes or no proposition?

Rankings after that are subjective. But this isn't really asking for ranking. This is the question

Quote:
Which of the following cities do you consider "World-Class"?
If SF isn't world class to you, fine. If it is, fine. However, at least answer the initial question.

It's like we all collectively failed reading comprehension or something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post

Repeating the same stuff over and over and over again, because you live in your own little world where SF is more of a world class city than NYC, LA, and Chicago, doesnt make it true.
But since there is no universally defined definition on what makes one city within a world class tier more world class than others, wouldn't the converse be equally true?

If there was a universally defined definition, this wouldn't even be up for debate, sort of like arguing that 1+1=11.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,497 posts, read 7,788,898 times
Reputation: 7325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
So is SF a world class city or not?
It is a world class city. Arguing tiers is just plain dumb to be honest.

Only a retard would argue otherwise. San Francisco is a well regarded city in several corners of the world. I have family in Santa Clara (San Jose MSA) and my cousin works on the border of Santa Clara and San Mateo, I think it's pathetic that people are trying to take that away from the Bay Area. It's one area, it is to my family at least. I know it is to the millions of people that live there too. Honestly there's something to be said of only looking at city limits, its not a fair comparison because some cities are geographically large and others are small. If we only look at that then South Beach should be taken away from Miami, Malibu from Los Angeles, and so on and so forth.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
 
425 posts, read 271,653 times
Reputation: 138
The debate is whether SF is more world class than LA and Chicago.

Since we cant stick to basic reading comprehension in here, its city, not MSA (15%), and even further, not CSA (you know, where it only takes 5% of commuters to be considered).
 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
2,346 posts, read 3,232,256 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post

What is your infatuation?
I think Chicago is a great city. Only MAJOR city where I don't look at crime stats and scream "cesspool, cesspool, cesspool, crimeridden P.O.S hole" for double digit murder rates. I find murder and rape to be absolutely disgusting, not only does it make me quake but it just really turns me away from a place. Chicago is different though, I like it for what it has going for it, and for someone like me, that's saying a lot.

I like Chicago more and more every single day, truly mean it. I also happen to think its a world class city in every sense of the word.

I just don't see it (Chicagoland) on a completely different level than the bay, sorry.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-15-2012 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top