Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities do you consider "World-Class"?
New York City 398 74.81%
Los Angeles 300 56.39%
Chicago 340 63.91%
Houston 106 19.92%
Dallas 82 15.41%
Phoenix 18 3.38%
Philadelphia 104 19.55%
San Antoine 39 7.33%
San Francisco 292 54.89%
Austin 25 4.70%
Boston 181 34.02%
Washington D.C. 255 47.93%
Seattle 114 21.43%
Denver 29 5.45%
Charlotte 20 3.76%
Portland 19 3.57%
Tucson 12 2.26%
Las Vegas 59 11.09%
Atlanta 87 16.35%
Omaha 17 3.20%
Minneapolis 31 5.83%
Honolulu 39 7.33%
Pittsburgh 16 3.01%
Raleigh 17 3.20%
Other (Please elaborate) 26 4.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 532. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only MSA that jumps considerably is SF. Most of the other cities pretty much stay close to where they are. So once more, SF needs help to compete.
Update this crap

Full Release and Tables -> Press it, it'll be on the right News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Advance 2010, and Revised 2007–2009

Something even more recent released this year http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

kthnxbye

Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Update this crap

Full Release and Tables -> Press it, it'll be on the right News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Advance 2010, and Revised 2007–2009

Something even more recent released this year http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

kthnxbye
What elevates San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland over Boston-Worcester-Providence, and Philidelphia-Camben-Wilmington is San Jose, which has a 180B dollar economy, San Francisco, Boston and Philly are all within 10% of each other (Boston and San Fran within 2% GMP of each other) but the difference in GDP between the Proidence MSA and the San Jose MSA is 120B, which makes the difference between the CSA,s ~100B. Sf has more than 200B outside its MSA but in its CSA, Boston and PHilly have less than 100B between their CSA's and MSA,s.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What elevates San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland over Boston-Worcester-Providence, and Philidelphia-Camben-Wilmington is San Jose, which has a 180B dollar economy, San Francisco, Boston and Philly are all within 10% of each other (Boston and San Fran within 2% GMP of each other) but the difference in GDP between the Proidence MSA and the San Jose MSA is 120B, which makes the difference between the CSA,s ~100B. Sf has more than 200B outside its MSA but in its CSA, Boston and PHilly have less than 100B between their CSA's and MSA,s.
San Jose is the wealthiest economy in the US. Silicon Valley is the most white collar industry in the entire country and that's what elevates the bay's economy to soar beyond similarly sized Boston and 2M larger Chicago.

Boston is a mostly pink collared CSA, its between white collar and blue collar but leans more white collar. Providence obviously being more blue collar than Boston by a longshot so the productivity decreases for Boston going from MSA to CSA.

Philadelphia is self explanatory really.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Have we seen any from you for why SF is above Chicago? Start naming.

Pretty sneaky of you to say the Bay Area, because you know the city itself isnt nearly enough.

This is city vs. city.
Quote:
Do you want to see it?

I mean, really, I'm being serious. Do you want to see why I think San Francisco Bay Area is just as world class as Chicagoland?
Quote:
scrantix, the SF fanboy, present your case as to why you think SF is more world class than LA or Chicago.

I just want to see you try, thats really it.
Then this topic is over. I supported exactly what I told you, for the exact same geography I said I could, that you subconsciously laughed off.

After seeing the evidence then your arguments withered away to San Jose being a separate metro. That's the textbook example of laughable, having been proven wrong, being shown evidence, and then being called out for not understanding the dynamic of a region 3000 miles away. I never said SF Bay Area is on the level of LA, that's ridiculous. LA and NYC are in a higher league but Chicago is not, sorry.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-15-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Honestly JMT I think it's time to retire this years old thread (5 years old). Not only has it become boring but it's gotten to the point where the arguments serve no purpose. The topics far to vague as it is.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

Some are clearly tourist traps or party spots or beach destinations but I think this is pretty clear. Just go through all the cities you never heard of before, before you get to Chicago. That ranking separates out San Jose(111th spot) btw.

Top 150 City Destinations: London Leads the Way - Analyst Insight from Euromonitor International
So what's your point? That all these cities that we've never heard of are more world class than Chicago?

Are we supposed to think that Bangkok and Singapore are more world class than NY? Or that Bahrain and Cairo (and 48 other cities) are more world class than Tokyo? (Oh sorry I forgot, according to you Tokyo is not world class... lol).

So no, it's not clear at all. The results of this survey, on their face, illustrate that it has little to no correlation to world class (for pretty obvious reasons, some of which you have alluded to). Chicago is not a vacation spot or party destination; has a bad climate and unfavorable location in the middle of the continent (with the only conveniently located international tourist market being Canada, a country of less than 40 million); and offers a similar (but inferior) package of urban attractions as NYC, which most international tourists would have likely already visited. Thats why it ranks poorly in the international tourism rankings. Not because it lacks world class.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 09-15-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
San Jose is the wealthiest economy in the US. Silicon Valley is the most white collar industry in the entire country and that's what elevates the bay's economy to soar beyond similarly sized Boston and 2M larger Chicago.

Boston is a mostly pink collared CSA, its between white collar and blue collar but leans more white collar. Providence obviously being more blue collar than Boston by a longshot so the productivity decreases for Boston going from MSA to CSA.

Philadelphia is self explanatory really.
I wouldn't say its less productive, though Boston is less weathy than San Jose and San Franciso, they Exports more than those Metros.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So what's your point? That all these cities that we've never heard of are more world class than Chicago?

Are we supposed to think that Bangkok and Singapore are more world class than NY? Or that Bahrain and Cairo (and 48 other cities) are more world class than Tokyo? (Oh sorry I forgot, according to you Tokyo is not world class... lol).

So no, it's not clear at all. The results of this survey, on their face, illustrate that it has little to no correlation to world class (for pretty obvious reasons, some of which you have alluded to). Chicago is not a vacation spot or party destination; has a bad climate and unfavorable location in the middle of the continent (with the only conveniently located international tourist market being Canada, a country of less than 40 million); and offers a similar (but inferior) package of urban attractions as NYC, which most international tourists would have likely already visited. Thats why it ranks poorly in the international tourism rankings. Not because it lacks world class.
The rides at Universal Studios in Orlando alone is more world class than Tokyo

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Honestly JMT I think it's time to retire this years old thread (5 years old). Not only has it become boring but it's gotten to the point where the arguments serve no purpose. The topics far to vague as it is.
Agreed. Plus it's become little more than a shouting match between fans of Chicago and SF.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City