Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times

Advertisements

It's very hard to get things built in New York, but it happens all the time. It's usually a scaled back version of the original plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,547,104 times
boston is rediculous to build in. Nimby's galore.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,205,355 times
Jersey City may be one of the easiest cities to develop in.

Developers, got an envelope stuffed with $15,000 cash? Meet any number of JC officials at a diner at 10PM and they'll take care of the rest.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
yea I was gonna say, wasn't Boston supposed to be getting a supertall sometime soon, and they either scratched the project or scaled it back because of FAA restrictions, just like Vegas?
Right now they've brought it back to the drawing board. Transnational Place was going to be about 1,100 ft to the roof and over 1,300 ft to the tip of the spire.

The FAA scaled it back, plus neighborhood activists who live miles away were complaining that there would be shadows on Boston Common. It was shown that for Nov and Oct there would be shadows on the Common for nearly 15 minutes every morning! So that means it probably never would have gotten off the ground. The building was actually going to be on stilts, with a big park at the base...it was also going to have a rooftop park (imagine having a picnic at 1,100 ft!). Something will get built here eventually, but not of this scale.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

927 posts, read 2,216,245 times
Paris is absolutely beautiful. Your eyes just have to adjust to a different type of grandiosity when you're there. Buildings are low and the sky isn't cluttered with a lot of tall bulidings, unlike other world cities.

Similar to Boston and San Fran, it's not the skyscrapers that make it grand, but just good ol' architecture and historical treasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Well they have all the freedom they want in Houston but I wouldn't call Houston any architectural masterpiece.

(citydata)

On the other hand, development is strictly controlled in Paris and imho, it shows. If it doesn't make Paris more beautiful, it doesn't get built. Maybe that gives fly by night developers nightmares, but it is a dream come true for the people of the world who appreciate quality. That's why Paris is the most touristed city in the world and Houston is not. If that gives developers nightmares, then I say bring on Freddy Krueger.

(wikipiki)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Given that a good bit of development in the past several decades have been incredibly short-sighted, I'm pretty happy that there are people who care enough about their city to keep developers from turning cities into a citizen's nightmare.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,714 times
Seattle has a draconian design-review process, which causes bold and daring architecture to get commiteed to death, resulting in a dumbed down, blander version of the original design. Also, NIMBYs are prevalent here as well.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Default Seattle architectural blandness

Before I travel to a city I haven't visited in years, I go to Emporis.com which will show photo's of all the buildings in that city, generally above 12 stories.

I hadn't been to Seattle in 20 years, went there in June, and from Emporis.com there were only two buildings I cared to see, close-up, that really inspired me, generally built in the sleek-glass 70's. But then, I've never been a fan of most 80's, 90's style buildings anyway.

Your posting helps me to understand Seattle's skyline a little better.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times
Seattle is a city that prevents developers from doing anything. Case in point is the viaduct replacement project. It's an eyesore from a bygone era and holding back development of the waterfront to a great destination to be. Further, it was damaged in an earthquake in 2001 I believe.

Seattle voters rejected BOTH replacements. Thank goodness the mayor and the governor basically overrode the popular vote to do NOTHING.

Further, various city ordinances passed by special interest groups means that even if there are some swamp fleas in the area they have to stop and do an environmental study for 10 years before doing anything. And even then you may not be able to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City