Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times

Advertisements

philly reminds me of a mix of bk & a tiny bit of manhattan

File:Philadelphia-Society Hill-Street.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...illy_Vista.jpg

http://www.greenhomeworks.com/GRW/im...croft/bcg1.JPG

then again, so do hartford, newark (most cities in jersey for that matter) and b'more

Last edited by john_starks; 09-27-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM

196 posts, read 612,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Whenever a question like most historic city or most European city come up --- New York is totally ignored. People forget MOST people living in New York City do not live in Manhattan and in fact Manhattan makes up less than 10% of NYC's land area! Its not all skyscrapers folks.
That's true--but most of the buildings around NYC are pretty young, around the turn-of-the-century to the '20s. There's no presence of Colonial-style architecture here like there is in New England cities, Philly, or even Baltimore.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:39 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lol. The bronx has just as much vibrancy. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping districts in the world. And by itself busier than many streets in other cities.

And as far as not identifying with the borough. Does the BRONX zoo ring bells. How about the BRONX bombers Matter fact what institutions were you talking about?
The Bronx bombers as in the New York Yankees who are identified with New York City in general? The Bronx Zoo is certainly a large institution, but the Bronx's equivalent to Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, and BAM (all solidly identified with Brooklyn and not NYC as a whole)?

Fordham Road as one of the busiest shopping districts in the world? In what terms? The Bronx's shopping options and diversity in neighborhoods simply aren't comparable to Brooklyn or to an East Coast cities. The Bronx is a huge outskirt without the kind of core that East Coast cities have. It's understandable since the Bronx (nor Queens or Staten Island) were ever powerful and populous independent cities like Brooklyn was before NYC's consolidation.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
That's true--but most of the buildings around NYC are pretty young, around the turn-of-the-century to the '20s. There's no presence of Colonial-style architecture here like there is in New England cities, Philly, or even Baltimore.
There are almost 700 buildings in just Brooklyn Heights alone that were built before the Civil War (1860). The oldest house in Brooklyn, the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House, was built in 1652*. This house is older by at least 30 years than the entire city of Philadelphia or by more than 50 years, Baltimore.

*I have a book that says it is even older, circa 1641, a few years after Wyckoff bought the land from the Canarsie Indians. This makes more sense to me but Wickapedia says 1652 so I put that here.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lol. The bronx has just as much vibrancy. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping districts in the world. And by itself busier than many streets in other cities.

And as far as not identifying with the borough. Does the BRONX zoo ring bells. How about the BRONX bombers Matter fact what institutions were you talking about?
The official name of the Bronx Zoo was for a long time .... The New York Zoological Park. Which is just south of the New York Botanical Garden (in contrast to the Brooklyn Botanical or the Queens Botanical Garden). Not to mention more people call them the NY Yankees than Da Bronx Bombers!

I think Oy is right. Brooklyn has a longer history and identity --- after all she was a independent town and city for 250 years while being a borough of New York City for just a little over a hundred.

The Bronx in contrast was part of Westchester County and then annexed to New York City in the late 1800s. The Bronx is New York State's NEWEST county and was only established April 19, 1912. Less than a week after the Titanic went down! Possible omen --- you decide!

Nah, I am just kidding. I think The Bronx has a strong idenity, its just not the same as Brooklyn.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,010,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Very true...

Brooklyn feels a lot like Philly in the neighborhoods, esp areas like University City/West Phila, South Philly and parts of North Philly. Brooklyn is cool -- by far the hippest of New York's boroughs because, moreso than any other NYC borough, natives more identify with being from Brooklyn... the phrase: "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" is a part of Americana... Brooklyn's identity is of being diverse, working class and down to earth. Manhattan is seen as a bunch of rich, snooty snobs... but it also has its beaches (Brighton, Coney Island, etc) and is very diverse... Love the place... Unlike most "tourists" (I actually know people who live in Brooklyn, I escape from the Central Park-to-34th Street box most tourist on't venture from..
Hey, don't dis my boro.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
^^ serously. it seems like manhattan easy to pick on these days..

i feel for manhattan and hollywood

Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Bronx bombers as in the New York Yankees who are identified with New York City in general? The Bronx Zoo is certainly a large institution, but the Bronx's equivalent to Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, and BAM (all solidly identified with Brooklyn and not NYC as a whole)?

Fordham Road as one of the busiest shopping districts in the world? In what terms? The Bronx's shopping options and diversity in neighborhoods simply aren't comparable to Brooklyn or to an East Coast cities. The Bronx is a huge outskirt without the kind of core that East Coast cities have. It's understandable since the Bronx (nor Queens or Staten Island) were ever powerful and populous independent cities like Brooklyn was before NYC's consolidation.

I know the yankees are identified with new york as a whole. But to say the bronx takes a complete backseat is misleading. Pelham bay park is associated with the bronx. The bronx zoo is associated with the bronx. And anything in new york is going to be associated as being new york.

Prospect park is a park in bk just like pelham is in the bx. Of course when u put the boroughs name in front of it, its going to be different

And the city of new york did a project on its busiest streets- fifth ave,queens blvd, 42, fordham etc. Fordham was said to be busier than regal street in london and was stated to be one of the busiest in the world.

If u were to actually go to the bronx instead of blindly yapping about it. You would see just how busy fordham and the concourse really are. More hustle bustle than some small cities and would be more impressive if they added taller buildings

Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The official name of the Bronx Zoo was for a long time .... The New York Zoological Park. Which is just south of the New York Botanical Garden (in contrast to the Brooklyn Botanical or the Queens Botanical Garden). Not to mention more people call them the NY Yankees than Da Bronx Bombers!

I think Oy is right. Brooklyn has a longer history and identity --- after all she was a independent town and city for 250 years while being a borough of New York City for just a little over a hundred.

The Bronx in contrast was part of Westchester County and then annexed to New York City in the late 1800s. The Bronx is New York State's NEWEST county and was only established April 19, 1912. Less than a week after the Titanic went down! Possible omen --- you decide!

Nah, I am just kidding. I think The Bronx has a strong idenity, its just not the same as Brooklyn.
Well in 2009 its the bronx zoo, and in 2009 bronx residents identify strongly with being from the bronx. This is laughable.

And it makes sense for the premier garden in the city to be named the new york botanical

And all that 1000 year old s... u were talking about can stay in the history books

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
Brooklyn DOES feel out of place compared to the rest of NY.
But if you just expand your boundaries, Bayonne NJ, Staten Island, and Jersey City all have a similar feel to Brooklyn.... More so than the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City