Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Milwaukee 50 29.76%
Pittsburgh 100 59.52%
Neither 18 10.71%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:05 PM

331 posts, read 670,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
WRONG!!!!!

I have rarely heard anyone talk like that, not even in the lower part of the state. You have to go way up north to hear anything even close to that accent.
Well I have, sorry but I'm from Pittsburgh, and those people in and around Milwaukee sound "Fargo-ish" to me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:10 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,117,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Well I have, sorry but I'm from Pittsburgh, and those people in and around Milwaukee sound "Fargo-ish" to me......
I'm from CA, in Milwaukee for professional school, and I found that there is not much of an accent in Milwaukee City. I do notice a midwestern nasally accent from people who are from farther north Wisconsin... Wouldn't say Fargo-ish, try Minnesota maybe.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Since when is having an NBA team (aka the stupidest sport) the yardstick for the greatness of cities? Milwaukee (a city I'm not bashing and have never been to and would probably love) doesn't have an NFL or NHL team, so what's your point?
I think the real advantage again comes with Milwaukee's proximity to Chicago. No NHL team, no problem, take the relatively short ride down to Chicago for that. No NFL, go 2 hours north to Green Bay, or again an hour south to Chicago.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I'm from CA, in Milwaukee for professional school, and I found that there is not much of an accent in Milwaukee City. I do notice a midwestern nasally accent from people who are from farther north Wisconsin... Wouldn't say Fargo-ish, try Minnesota maybe.
Depending on what part of the country you come from, peopl'e accents will sound different, or you'll precieve them differently. To me, they sound "Fargo-ish"....

Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,712,482 times
^ They do to me too, and your right with you're first statement!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Depending on what part of the country you come from, peopl'e accents will sound different, or you'll precieve them differently. To me, they sound "Fargo-ish"....
I guess. Then would you say that Chicago people sound Fargo-ish too? Maybe I am more in tune with midwestern accents since I have lived here for a year and a half now. I do notice a subtle difference in the way they talk, seems to be more nasal for certain words.

I would assume Pittsburgh has a sort of midwestern accent as well. Never been there though...

Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,693,450 times
Quote:
I think the real advantage again comes with Milwaukee's proximity to Chicago. No NHL team, no problem, take the relatively short ride down to Chicago for that. No NFL, go 2 hours north to Green Bay, or again an hour south to Chicago.
Ok, then. If one MUST have the NBA in their life and they're in Pittsburgh, 2 hours west= Cleveland. I heard they have well-known players.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I guess. Then would you say that Chicago people sound Fargo-ish too? Maybe I am more in tune with midwestern accents since I have lived here for a year and a half now. I do notice a subtle difference in the way they talk, seems to be more nasal for certain words.

I would assume Pittsburgh has a sort of midwestern accent as well. Never been there though...
Don't guess on places or cities you never been to......

Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,032 times
Quote:
You shouldn't really stereotype everyone in Wisconsin as sounding "Fargo-ish." Not only is it not true, but any enlightened person would know that. For example, am I to believe that everyone in Queens is a prototype of Archie Bunker, or that everyone from Brooklyn sounds like Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny?" It's the same thing.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You shouldn't really stereotype everyone in Wisconsin as sounding "Fargo-ish." Not only is it not true, but any enlightened person would know that. For example, am I to believe that everyone in Queens is a prototype of Archie Bunker, or that everyone from Brooklyn sounds like Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny?" It's the same thing.
Did I say that "every" single person sounds "Fargo-ish"? But enough of them do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City