Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 AM

3 posts, read 16,778 times

Advertisements

A little background and what I'm looking for:
I've lived in Mesquite, Tx (Loved it)
Knoxville, Tn (Love it, but saving going "home" until I have a
family)
Murfreesboro, TN (Ditto from above & too small for what I want now)
Newport News, VA (LOVE the geography. HATE the 7-base military town and complete unoriginality of the city. People not so nice either and VA will tax you to death, they even require a permit for a yard sale!!)

I really dont want to give up the beach if I dont have to! But I dont want to live in a tourist-y or redneck area like Va beach or Daytona, and just must get out of this unoriginal town. I need a new city to call home that: provides a lot of sunshine, warm weather, clean, generally nice people, plenty to do recreationally, dog friendly!,not TOO spread out, artsy and eventful. I'm asking for a lot but Im sure its out there. I'm looking for some possibly unforeseen cons to Austin, Savannah, Nashville, and Charleston. and Im definitely open to suggestions of any little known hot spots I might not have considered!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Austin seems to have everything you want. Housing is cheap, not rednecky at all, lots of sunshine, plenty of warm weather, and friendly people. I can't speak for the others though. And no offense, but Austin isn't considered to be in the southeastern US. It's to far west.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,139,589 times
I live in Nashville, but I would say that you would prefer Charleston or Savannah, because of the nearby beaches. The closest beach to Nashville is about 8 hours away. Also, Charleston and Savannah are both warmer than Nashville, where winters tend to be short, but can be extremely cold (i.e. Midwestern).

Have you considered places further South such as Tampa?

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
I live in Nashville, but I would say that you would prefer Charleston or Savannah, because of the nearby beaches. The closest beach to Nashville is about 8 hours away. Also, Charleston and Savannah are both warmer than Nashville, where winters tend to be short, but can be extremely cold (i.e. Midwestern).

Have you considered places further South such as Tampa?

Good luck!
You can make it to Pensacola in about 6 hours....if you drive like I do.

But yes, I agree...if you're looking to be close to the beach, Tennessee is not the state for you (unless you can get by with Nashville Shores water park).

Of the places mentioned by the OP, I would probably go with Charleston.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Savannah, Charleston > Nashville, Austin

this is how I would weigh the choices

Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
I agree with Polo in that Austin isn't a Southeast city. But if it were me, it would go like this.

1. Austin
2. Savannah
3. Charleston
4. Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City