U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,267,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Woof.... and I though the LA threads got heated
Yeah dude...things can get pretty real in the Austin forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,034,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Portland seems like Austin without Texas surrounding it, or minorities, left to stew in its own righteous awesomeness. Hilarity ensues.
Probably true, but except for Hispanics(obviously so, it's Texas), Austin has about the same demographics of minorities as Portland.

Portland is surrounded by conservatives for the most part on the outer edges of the Metro, though the Oregon nature tend to be a little more laidback than the Texas variety. The funny thing though is that people in the rest of the state seem to have a similar perception for Austin and Portland not really being the real Texas or real Oregon.

Austin has a way better university and economy and weather, so I'll give them points over Portland for that... Portland's a little more like a transplanted, older Midwestern city in parts...sort of like Pittsburgh if it had been built on the West Coast and had to make an economic transition from lumber instead of steel mills--then suddenly was overtaken by yupsters from the rest of the country. The plus side of Portland is that there's some really nice tree-lined turn-of-the-century neighborhoods that are like little urban villages in the middle of the city. It's like a collection of small towns--but at the same time it adds to this character of just being an overgrown series of small towns with a slightly urban downtown on the other side of the river.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM

4,095 posts, read 7,203,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Probably true, but except for Hispanics(obviously so, it's Texas), Austin has about the same demographics of minorities as Portland.
That's kind of like saying that except for blacks, Portland has the same demographics as Philly. There is a definite non-Anglo/white influence in Austin (it's less than half non-Hispanic white) that has contributed to the local culture, and Portland does not have this.

I do agree that Portland is much prettier, though.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

653 posts, read 1,496,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
That is demonstrably untrue.

MetroRail ridership has steadily increased each year, and is now meeting the goals they had originally set. An Austin forumer just commented last week on how great (and full) the rail is.

Headlining the AA Statesman website this morning is an article saying MetroRail will most likely be expanding to weekends after SXSW.

Plans are still in the works to add another rail line from Pflugerville to downtown, as well as to the airport.

In 2013 CapMetro will also be introducing MetroRapid on Congress (I think) and Lamar, a rapid-transit bus system that uses hi-tech to extend green lights, and will greatly increase its intervals.

Seems pretty obvious that while its still got a long way to go, it's definitely not getting worse.
The problem is that everything is MetroRail centric, and they are cutting out needed bus service elsewhere, where there is no other mass transit option.
Every time I map a route somewhere, using MetroRail would take LONGER than using the bus, because of the need to still utilize 2 buses (one on each end).

Here is an example of the types of decisions being made:
They decreased the area covered by bus 343, cutting out a whole area north of Wells Branch, leaving several apartment complexes and houses over a few miles from the nearest transit stop.
The same bus now sits for 15 minutes at the Rail Station (and this is not the operators break, there is another wait at TechRidge, which is the official break).
Then, after sitting there for 15 minutes it then leaves 3 minutes before the southbound train arrives.

If they can make the Rail work so that it takes people to the places people go, without requiring they transfer from Rail to a Bus, then the rail will be far more useful.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,128 times
From what you say about your interests, possibly East Austin is a good place for you. Lots of funkiness, earnest urban gardeners, chickens and more affordable housing. When your child is older, perhaps the schools will be better, but you can apply for a transfer if not. Schools are starting to limit transfers somewhat.

I agree with much of what you say about Austin vs Portland, am considering moving to Portland myself, but there are some nice things here: the people, the innovation, if you live centrally plenty of ways to network and run into people.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

67 posts, read 130,804 times
A lot of people claim Austin is the 'nicest city it Texas.' The problem is, it comes with that convenient caveat -- 'in Texas.' Really, Austin isn't that nice of a place at all... it's hot, the local scenery is drab (no, I don't count the wasteland of the Hill Country as pretty), the politics make residents pariahs in the rest of the state, and it's not close to either mountains or the ocean.

Austin, and, really, most of Texas, is by-in-large populated by the tasteless -- people who couldn't identify pretty scenery if it walked up to them and punched them repeatedly in the face. I lived in the area for four years while waiting for my girlfriend to graduate from college, and found it wholly intolerable. But, hey, if you like it there, by all means, go and stay. I'd rather not have you around mucking up someplace nice.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,560,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustHatetheTruth View Post
A lot of people claim Austin is the 'nicest city it Texas.' The problem is, it comes with that convenient caveat -- 'in Texas.' Really, Austin isn't that nice of a place at all... it's hot, the local scenery is drab (no, I don't count the wasteland of the Hill Country as pretty), the politics make residents pariahs in the rest of the state, and it's not close to either mountains or the ocean.

Austin, and, really, most of Texas, is by-in-large populated by the tasteless -- people who couldn't identify pretty scenery if it walked up to them and punched them repeatedly in the face. I lived in the area for four years while waiting for my girlfriend to graduate from college, and found it wholly intolerable. But, hey, if you like it there, by all means, go and stay. I'd rather not have you around mucking up someplace nice.
I agree....regarding Austin. The rest, though sounds ignorant

Austin is much like Houston and Dallas (which is good) without the highend culture, nightlife and shopping (not so good for many) and also not much diversity.....Portland is pretty cool and has better access to mountains (good for me) but it is pretty rainy in winter

The 2 cities are not really that similar

Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 PM

158 posts, read 302,580 times
Quote:

All that hate is goin to eat ya up inside kid.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,441,102 times
Quote:

BYE!!! Also btw... I know what scenery is I lived on the coast in Florida, and have visited the Rocky mountains many of times.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,238,317 times
Quote:

how silly. i've never actually met people from austin who said with a straight face that austin is the most beautiful city in the US. it may very be the most beautiful city in Texas, but yes, it's not Denver, or Portland, or Boise, or Oakland. I lived in Austin for 13 years. I've been here in SF for awhile. I should know.

this guy is not to be take seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City