U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,168,417 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I did not mean We get hurricaines, I am just saying that we get the after effects. Flash floods, and such. Its just what I read. Don't those things spin off Tornadoes? I think Katrina did. I remember thinking "why would any idiot move to an area where you have to worrie about that stuff anyway?" Most of the locals here in Austin say they have never seen one, so that was good enough for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 22,888,131 times
Yes, they can spin off tornadoes

Old 05-13-2007, 02:21 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,630,307 times
Maybe I'm a freak, but drizzle and overcast sound great to me (I guess somebody has to like it). I also love the lush landsccape of the Pacific NW. Austin is always sunny... always. I don't know how to explain "sickeningly sunny" but that's what I'd call it. And hot... my god. I'm a very hot-natured person and I am sensitive to brightness, so Austin is killer for me in the summer. Portland sounds perfect.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 6,943,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Maybe I'm a freak, but drizzle and overcast sound great to me (I guess somebody has to like it). I also love the lush landsccape of the Pacific NW. Austin is always sunny... always. I don't know how to explain "sickeningly sunny" but that's what I'd call it. And hot... my god. I'm a very hot-natured person and I am sensitive to brightness, so Austin is killer for me in the summer. Portland sounds perfect.
I know what you mean about drizzly and gray, I like it sometimes as well, but trust me, that gets mighty freakin' old when it goes on weeks-as I'm sure the everlasting sunshine gets old.

202 cloudy days per year(average) here in Cleveland, compared to Seattle's 201...

Very grim indeed. Makes one very negative and grouchy.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,630,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Makes one very negative and grouchy.
So does oppressive heat. People around Austin are always grumpy and impatient during the dog days of summer.... especially when the A/C goes out. Nothing like taking a shower and putting on nice clothes, then having a river of sweat running down your body by the time you get to your destination.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:12 AM

7,159 posts, read 15,869,355 times
It's not so strange, I have a very good friend who is also fond of colder, less sunny climates. I think it might be a lifestyle thing, those who enjoy spending time indoors (and really, isn't that most of us these days?) are perhaps more split on what climate they prefer. I've always assumed that sunshine was widely preferred (and I prefer it), because even on hot days you can still have your outdoor plans... running, biking, whatever. As said earlier, you may have to do it in the morning or late evening on really hot days.

I do like the rain to help me sleep, and I like to watch it... that's an indoor thing, though. I don't like oppressive heat, but it really isn't fair to compare being out in it to enjoying a rainy climate from inside... unless you are saying you like standing out in the rain ... in which case I guess you could compare.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I do like the rain to help me sleep, and I like to watch it... that's an indoor thing, though. I don't like oppressive heat, but it really isn't fair to compare being out in it to enjoying a rainy climate from inside... unless you are saying you like standing out in the rain ... in which case I guess you could compare.
I do not think you understand PNW rain... it can rain all day long and we get less than a 15 minute rain in Texas. It is often a pretty soothing drizzle. (The storms early last winter were localized and a real exception).

People here go about daily activities on rainy days (which are often no more than a trace of precipitation every other hour). I do gardening, mow the yard, and have stopped to watch the kids play baseball all on a day where it is reported we had rain all day.

We have had many cloudless days in the past two weeks and I tire quickly of all the sun.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 6,943,407 times
My wife's uncle(who lives in Austin but is originally from Cleveland) said that in the summer folks just go from their air-conditioned house to their AC'd cars to their AC'd offices... Up here in the winters, folks do the same thing except that it's the heat not AC...Now my logic has always been that when it's cold, you put on a heavier clothes and you're fine...when it's hot and muggy you just suffer when you are outside

It doesn't suprise me that people in the PNW just deal with the rain and drizzle. You get yourself good rain gear and get used to the constant, clammy condensation under your clothes...I loved Portland when I've visited but I definitely felt a little uncomfortable with that. Nothings worse than cool and moist! I think some people are definitely more adaptable than others.

That being said, I'm very much afraid of the oppressive, hideous heat down in Austin...for me the biggest negative by far...it's going to be a real challenge as I'm fairly acclimated to the grouchy, grim grayness

But I'll give it a shot and try to adjust my activities accordingly.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 22,888,131 times
It's only that oppressive July-August. Same in Houston. The most Humid Texas City I've been to is Corpus.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,168,417 times
OK....maybe Ill move back to PNW, good point about just putting on a coat when its cold. All I do here now on my days off is sit inside with the air conditioning. Its only May, you mean it gets HOTTER THAN THIS. This feels worst than phoenix to me. Must be the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City