Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM

172 posts, read 515,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
But people from San Diego complain that Austin is too humid, and that's what I'm arguing in the first place To me, San Diego wasn't any less humid than Austin, just cooler, as if there was an A/C unit blowing on the city all day.

I think an old saying applies here, but in reverse: "It's not the humidity, it's the heat."
Oh I totally agree, but humidity feels a lot worse when it's hot and that's when people notice it. Houston is a sauna compared to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
Ok, but I included two links that had hard data about Austin and neither of them support your observations. Austin has a similar humidity to San Diego, but San Diego is way cooler with summer highs in the low 80s.

Austin isn't a rainforest, but it is somewhat humid. I've been to the Amazon and 97f and 90% humidity makes Austin seem temperate.
They have similar relative humidities, meaning that Austin is more humid since warmer weather can hold more water vapor so that the absolute value is actually higher for a warm place than a cooler place with the same relative humidity.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 35,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Ooooh... just you wait. You will be suicidal by August.... it gets a LOT worse than this!

You'll know it when you walk outside and it's so bright that you can't even see, the buzzing of cicadas is loud and clear, the waves of heat are hitting you from above and below, you can feel your skin burning, your shirt soaked in sweat, the air hurts your lungs... oh yes. It's like living in a blast furnace from June through mid-October. You never get used to it... it only gets worse the longer you're here. Just try to stay indoors with the curtains closed and run from air conditioned area to air conditioned area as quickly as possible.

Have fun
Must not be from Austin!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
How is the outdoor activity scenarion in Austin? Portland area ha numerous hiking/biking trails , camping sites along the beach , white water rafting , skiing - there is a long list. But I too hate the 8 month rainy season.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
I have been to Portland a few times and absolutely loved it. While both cities have lots to do, Austin has a bit more stuff like SXSW, RoT rally, and countless festivals .... The Rose Festival up in Portland is really a one of a kind and truly special.

Anyway, on the hiking and biking stuff... Austin has plenty both downtown and outside of the city. In town there are plenty of places like the trails around town lake to the greenbelts and Barton Springs. Outside of town there are different kinds of areas you should look. Just to the east in areas like Bastrop you will find large beautiful parks (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_pl_008.phtml - broken link) with pine forest and such. The west part of Austin is very hilly and the start of the Texas Hill Country. Continuing farther west you will find countless places to ride and hike along with some very cool parks like Pedernales (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_014.phtml - broken link). On the south side of Austin [not quite out of town but far enough] is the McKinney Falls state park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_013.phtml - broken link).

On the whole heat thing. Yes in the summer it does get very hot to those who are new to Austin. Also one thing I miss about being up north is there is really little to no spring or fall in Austin. Both are my favorite seasons. But in the end I really wouldn't trade our sun and heat for the wetter weather I remember from the up there. That is my own personal preference. Some people just really can't stand the heat which I can totally understand too.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
No comparison between Portland and Austin. Portland wins in any and every category. From the beautiful summer climate, to the beautiful scenery, to the endless outdoor activities, to progressive city planning (the list goes on and on). We aren't even talking the same league here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I have been to Portland a few times and absolutely loved it. While both cities have lots to do, Austin has a bit more stuff like SXSW, RoT rally, and countless festivals .... The Rose Festival up in Portland is really a one of a kind and truly special.

Anyway, on the hiking and biking stuff... Austin has plenty both downtown and outside of the city. In town there are plenty of places like the trails around town lake to the greenbelts and Barton Springs. Outside of town there are different kinds of areas you should look. Just to the east in areas like Bastrop you will find large beautiful parks (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_pl_008.phtml - broken link) with pine forest and such. The west part of Austin is very hilly and the start of the Texas Hill Country. Continuing farther west you will find countless places to ride and hike along with some very cool parks like Pedernales (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_014.phtml - broken link). On the south side of Austin [not quite out of town but far enough] is the McKinney Falls state park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_hc_013.phtml - broken link).

On the whole heat thing. Yes in the summer it does get very hot to those who are new to Austin. Also one thing I miss about being up north is there is really little to no spring or fall in Austin. Both are my favorite seasons. But in the end I really wouldn't trade our sun and heat for the wetter weather I remember from the up there. That is my own personal preference. Some people just really can't stand the heat which I can totally understand too.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
No comparison between Portland and Austin. Portland wins in any and every category. From the beautiful summer climate, to the beautiful scenery, to the endless outdoor activities, to progressive city planning (the list goes on and on). We aren't even talking the same league here.
Portland is nice, but doesn't win in every category:

Homeless population - there are 2X the amount in Portland, and they are rather abrasive at times.

Winter - it sucks, don't let June-August let you believe the climate is "nice"

COL - housing is expensive, be prepared to rent....with roomates.

The Economy - in the dumps with around 12% for the UR, yet you pay more for housing anyways.

Lack of diversity - the city is like 90% anglo and 8% asian. AA are not integrated at all and even appear to be antagonized a bit.

Taxes. - Very suppressive tax system that is anti-business, along with a 9% state income tax and high property taxes to boot. (see "economy")

Lack of Performing arts - didn't hear enough live music, or really any at all when I was there outside of the occasional street performer.

The nature in Portland was not as accessible - you had to drive a long ways (30+ minutes) to get to the huge parks (unlike Barton Creek, Zilker, Guerrero or McKinney Falls in Austin). The Willemette River downtown was 99% concrete along the shore with sheer drops and no access, unlike Town Lake, which one can pull right up to and launch a kayak in a half-dozen places with trees and paths leading up to the shore for fishing and other sports. The Willemette is also dirty to the point that no one would really swim in it.

Other than that, I thought the town was good, as every city has it's flaws anyways. Saying it beats Austin (or any town for that matter) hands down is clearly biased just for the sake of being argumentative...even NYC doesn't beat Topeka Kansas "hands down" in every way. Let's get real.

Last edited by jobert; 10-29-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Portland is nice, but doesn't win in every category:

Homeless population - there are 2X the amount in Portland, and they are rather abrasive at times.
I would disagree with that. There are homeless panhandlers on most major street corners throughout Austin. They are all over 6th street and other parts of downtown. I don't remember panhandlers in Portland last time I was there.

Winter - it sucks, don't let June-August let you believe the climate is "nice"
Summer is beautiful in Portland. Clear skies, temps in the 70's, low humidity. Something Austin experiences a few day each YEAR. Yes, the winters are rainy and cloudy, but i'll take that anyday over 5 months of hot, torrid, humid weather where one can never go outside.

COL - housing is expensive, be prepared to rent....with roomates.
In the suburbs, that may be true, but central Austin versus central Portland will have little difference in housing costs. Also, the property tax in Austin is sky high which would make up any differences in cost.

The Economy - in the dumps with around 12% for the UR, yet you pay more for housing anyways.
Portland economy is cyclical like many other cities. There are plenty of people out of work in Austin.

Lack of diversity - the city is like 90% anglo and 8% asian. AA are not integrated at all and even appear to be antagonized a bit.

Did you forget black and hispanic, both fairly sizeable sectors in Metro Portland.? Austin is diverse?? Have you been to Houston or San Jose, CA??

Taxes. - Very suppressive tax system that is anti-business, along with a 9% state income tax and high property taxes to boot. (see "economy")
Sales tax is also quite high in Austin (8.25%) Property taxes don't even come close to those of Travis County.

Lack of Performing arts - didn't hear enough live music, or really any at all when I was there outside of the occasional street performer.
Ever heard of the Oregon Symphony, Oregon Ballet Theatre, Portland Opera, Portland Center Stage?? What do you have in Austin?? Oh yeah, Dallas is only 3 short hours away.

The nature in Portland was not as accessible - you had to drive a long ways (30+ minutes) to get to the huge parks (unlike Barton Creek, Zilker, Guerrero or McKinney Falls in Austin). The Willemette River downtown was 99% concrete along the shore with sheer drops and no access, unlike Town Lake, which one can pull right up to and launch a kayak in a half-dozen places with trees and paths leading up to the shore for fishing and other sports. The Willemette is also dirty to the point that no one would really swim in it.
The outdoor activities are endless in that area. You just weren't looking hard enough!

Other than that, I thought the town was good, as every city has it's flaws anyways. Saying it beats Austin (or any town for that matter) hands down is clearly biased just for the sake of being argumentative...even NYC doesn't beat Topeka Kansas "hands down" in every way. Let's get real.
Untrue sir. I have travelled all over the country extensively and have vast knowledge of many places. Obviously many don't agree with me or the 1.5 million in the Austin area would be living in Portland (or Denver)

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Ever heard of the Oregon Symphony, Oregon Ballet Theatre, Portland Opera, Portland Center Stage?? What do you have in Austin?? Oh yeah, Dallas is only 3 short hours away.
Actually Houston is even closer... and the arts are just as good, if not better than those in Dallas (being one of few US cities with all four categories of performing arts permanent and year-round.) Just IMO.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
Quote:
My sincere apologies sir, I was unaware this was a win/lose competition between two cities. A person asked if there was hiking, biking and outdoors stuff here in Austin and I only wished to share a few of the places that (while maybe not to Portland's and your high standards) I and a few others enjoy.

While Austin may fall short for you... to many others and myself I will stick by those places I linked as very nice areas around Austin that I do believe PDX_Rahan would enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City