Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 PM

26 posts, read 43,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, for one people don't need to "agree" on population. It's right there in black and white (although if ever there was a forum where people would disagree on such a thing, City-Data would be it).

And as to it being agreed upon by all that Los Angeles being the second most important city in the U.S., I would be interested to see your supporting evidence for that statement. I suppose an argument could be put forth in support of that claim, but other cities--such as Washington, DC and Chicago--could make convincing arguments as well. It seems far from universally agreed.
Read it again:

Originally Posted by upper_hand [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/774307-random-ia-san-francisco-third-city-post11457323.html#post11457323"]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...s/viewpost.gif[/URL]
It's pretty much agreed that LA as the US second most populous city and the second largest local economy is the second most important city in the US...

I can even rephrase it for you:

AS the second most populous city and AS the second largest economy, LA is widely considered the 2nd most important city in the US. Believe me, it is universally agreed.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,531,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upper_hand View Post
Believe me, it is universally agreed.
You will of course forgive me if I fail to take your statement at face value. It just so happens that I do not believe you when you say that such a thing is universally agreed. For instance, there are many people who would argue--with a degree of merit, I might add--that Washington, DC is either the most important (or second-most important) city in the country, being the nation's capital and the seat of global political power.

But by all means, if you can point me in the direction of some universally accepted study or report which convincingly lays claim to what you are advocating, I will happily retract my previous statement.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM

259 posts, read 540,919 times
And again your credibility is lost....chicagoi is known around the world for it's architecture...every city isn't....your credibility is shot..chicago can't be compared to ny? Well you ask the 46 million people who visited the city last year..

Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM

And how is ANY city more important than the capitol?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
You will of course forgive me if I fail to take your statement at face value. It just so happens that I do not believe you when you say that such a thing is universally agreed. For instance, there are many people who would argue--with a degree of merit, I might add--that Washington, DC is either the most important (or second-most important) city in the country, being the nation's capital and the seat of global political power.

But by all means, if you can point me in the direction of some universally accepted study or report which convincingly lays claim to what you are advocating, I will happily retract my previous statement.
You kidding me? Of course there is no official ranking of cities however based on quantifiable criteria such as population and gross product LA is commonly considered the second most imprortant city in the US. In most industries LA is the number 2 US market.

Of course you can argue (and some do) that it is Milwaukee based on its role in production of beer or Memphis based on the fact that it houses Graceland yet those arguments seem to be purely academic if not frivolous...

Population and gross product make LA the number two player in the US. It's very simple.

Last edited by upper_hand; 11-02-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post

The same way Chicago is more important than Springfield, IL. Would you argue otherwise?
How it is that for you Chicagoans everything is so hard to understand, it's like you are genetically incapable of independent analytical thinking.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
And again your credibility is lost....chicagoi is known around the world for it's architecture...every city isn't....your credibility is shot..chicago can't be compared to ny? Well you ask the 46 million people who visited the city last year..
Ask them what? Of course Chicago can't be compared to New York City. Different league altogether. Can you compare the Cubs to the Yankees?

How about Chicago Tribune to New York Times? How about Clark and Wells to Time Square or Mag Mile to Fifth Avenue? How about 3 million people to 9 million people?

Are you so blind?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 PM

45 posts, read 45,926 times
Quote:
Yea,

Albany is more important than New York City and Sacramento is more important than Los Angeles.

Ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 PM

DC is where our president the most important and powerful man resides lol...the Pentagon is there lmao it's the head of this body called America....if new york is the heart it can always be replaced...no such thing as a head transplant lol

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM

And again for a city that's so far ahead of chicago it sure doesn't get too many more visitors annually than chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City