U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM

3,880 posts, read 6,476,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've seen that BID site, and it provides great information about the area. I know several people who have relocated to D/FW in the last decade, and seem to be doing very well there. I haven't ran into people that absolutely hate it, I'll put it that way. Even then, it seems like Dallas is still under the radar with a lot of people, it doesn't get nearly the attention and hype that Atlanta gets. Which is a good thing in my book. Too many people move here and expect it to be like it is in Tyler Perry movies or reality shows on TV. Moving here (or anywhere for that matter) without a plan is a Man Down, Code 10 situation, you know?

And yes, all those syndicated radio hosts did get their start in Dallas. I think Russ Parr got his start in Dallas too.

Houston was #1 in Black Enterprise one year, but it's rank fell to #4 another year. Dallas was #4 or 5 from what I remember.
For the most part until Dallas get a Big rapper or some body like Beyonce it will continue to fly under the radar. Wish Erykah Badu had promoted Dallas better and brought up some local talent in her prime like Houston and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM

17,637 posts, read 24,018,931 times
Quote:
I agree. The only part of Oklahoma that feels southern to me would be the far southeastern ends , especially by Arkansas. Other than that, it's more midwesternish/great plains to me.

I keep forgetting there are different regions of the midwest, just as there are different regions of the South.
I've mentioned this a several times on this forum. There are two Midwests IMO. The Great Lakes Midwest and the Great Plains Midwest. Obviously Dallas is nothing like the Great Lakes Midwest. But the Great Plains Midwest does have some influence and connections to DFW. It's sphere of influence can reach as far north as Kansas City. Many areas to the immediate North and West of DFW reminds me very much of Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 4,840,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well when it comes to raw numbers, Houston has the most. The percentages won't show it, though. When it comes to metro areas, Atlanta has the most.

Yeah I agree...Houston actually has the largest black population in the South. (numerically speaking, not percentile)

P.S. - I heard somewhere that the comedian Steve Harvey lives in DFW somewhere...is this true?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,084,221 times
Quote:
Well when it comes to raw numbers, Houston has the most. The percentages won't show it, though. When it comes to metro areas, Atlanta has the most.
Metro Atlanta: 32% Black
Greater Houston: 16.1% Black
DFW Metroplex: 13.1% Black

Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I disagree big time. Austin would definitely fit more into the southern category than San Antonio. The whole "Austin" feels like California or more western is overrated. The city has southern influence to me.
I don't think you've ever been to Eastside San Antonio. It has a much more solid black community than Austin and I definitely think it has stronger ties to the south.

All the way from the neighborhoods around the Alamodome and the AT&T center to the inner ring suburbs like Converse and Kirby. Going down MLK, Foster Rd, Eisenhower, Walzem, FM 78...you have quite a bit of black folks out that way. A lot of these areas make me think of Fort Worth.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I disagree big time. Austin would definitely fit more into the southern category than San Antonio. The whole "Austin" feels like California or more western is overrated. The city has southern influence to me.
I don't think you've ever been to Eastside San Antonio. It has a much more solid black community than Austin and I definitely think it has stronger ties to the south.

All the way from the neighborhoods around the Alamodome and the AT&T center to the inner ring suburbs like Converse and Kirby. Going down MLK, Foster Rd, Eisenhower, Walzem, FM 78...you have quite a bit of black folks out that way. A lot of these areas make me think of Fort Worth.

Keep in mind that the Eastside seems WORLDS away from the rest of San Antonio.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,084,221 times
Quote:
I've mentioned this a several times on this forum. There are two Midwests IMO. The Great Lakes Midwest and the Great Plains Midwest. Obviously Dallas is nothing like the Great Lakes Midwest. But the Great Plains Midwest does have some influence and connections to DFW. It's sphere of influence can reach as far north as Kansas City. Many areas to the immediate North and West of DFW reminds me very much of Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri.
Yes to this. Stop reading my mind! .

If I was in Plano, and someone blindfolded and kidnapped me and dropped me off in Overland Park, KS, it would take me awhile to realize I'm somewhere else.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Metro Atlanta: 32% Black
Greater Houston: 16.1% Black
DFW Metroplex: 13.1% Black
You are correct...Before Katrina Dallas was adding more black residents than Houston. Only behind by a small margin on pace to catch Houston. After Katrina Houston grew its lead. Its worth pointing out that DFW white population is booming in the Northern Tarrant County region!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM

13,902 posts, read 20,650,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
DFW and Metro Atlanta might be mirror images of each other from a city planning stand point, but they are demograpically different and thus have some distinct cultural differences as well. DFW will never be the black super Mecca that Atlanta is. DFW isnt nearly as southern as Atlanta is. Atlanta will never be as Latino as DFW or a hub for Latin American culture like DFW is.

Definately not saying that Dallas doesnt have southerness about it, but not nearly to the degree Atlanta does.
Agreed.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah I agree...Houston actually has the largest black population in the South. (numerically speaking, not percentile)

P.S. - I heard somewhere that the comedian Steve Harvey lives in DFW somewhere...is this true?
Yes Steve Harvey lives in Dallas and has personal ties with the city of Dallas when he was going through a rough stretch in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City