Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
My wife has worked with Jamie Foxx on a number of occasions. Of all the celebrities she worked with, he was the only one that she had nothing but bad things to say. One of the most pompus and rude individuals shes ever met. If you knew my wife, who tries so hard to see the good in everyone, you would know what a big deal that is.

Most famous people that she delt with were very polite and down to earth (Robert Downey Jr., Dustin Hoffman, Denzel Washington, etc.). Jamie Foxx treated my wife (who did accounting for several studios in LA) like dirt. I would love to kick his a** and I dont care where hes from.

Odds are, hes just blowing smoke. Thats all he really does.
He's ego got really out of control after he did Ray. Everyone says the same thing about him and how rude and self-centered he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well, he did grow up in Terrell, which wasn't exactly a bastion of racial progress when he was growing up. I think he was just crticizing that aspect of growing up there. I've heard him talk about how it was a decent place to raise a family. Not all criticism is "bashing"

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well, he did grow up in Terrell, which wasn't exactly a bastion of racial progress when he was growing up. I think he was just crticizing that aspect of growing up there. I've heard him talk about how it was a decent place to raise a family. Not all criticism is "bashing"
I understand him growing up in Terrell; However ,the part that bothered me was when he said how it's still the same in the south as it was years ago.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But Houston isn't in the Mexican part of Texas.

And how is the music influenced by California?
So. The majority of the population of the state isn't in the Mexican part of Texas. Does not mean they aren't many Mexicans throughout the state. There are over a million Mexicans in Houston and they are fastest growing demographic in the metro area.

As far as music, c'mon. Anybody and everybody knows that Houston had many of it's influences from the Bay Area. That's why you see many collaborations between the two areas. The music sounded very similar back in the early 90s. They used the same slang somewhat. In fact, I am willing to bet that Houston rappers made music with Bay Area artists than they did with the rest of the entire South. Houston put their own twist to it. But the Bay Area influenced it. This shouldn't come as a shock. Many, if not most of the blacks in the Bay migrated from Southeast Texas.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,819,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So. The majority of the population of the state isn't in the Mexican part of Texas. Does not mean they aren't many Mexicans throughout the state. There are over a million Mexicans in Houston and they are fastest growing demographic in the metro area.
And if you don't count the illegals?

Quote:
As far as music, c'mon. Anybody and everybody knows that Houston had many of it's influences from the Bay Area. That's why you see many collaborations between the two areas. The music sounded very similar back in the early 90s. They used the same slang somewhat. In fact, I am willing to bet that Houston rappers made music with Bay Area artists than they did with the rest of the entire South. Houston put their own twist to it. But the Bay Area influenced it. This shouldn't come as a shock. Many, if not most of the blacks in the Bay migrated from Southeast Texas.
Give me an example.

Because when I listen to artisits like Z-Ro, Keke, Big Hawk, Pat, and Mike D the last thing I'm thinking about is California.

Next thing I know you gonna be sayin Houston is more like the Bay than Atlanta.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Do you have information on Mexicans in the different MSA's? All I have is foreign born information.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
And if you don't count the illegals?

Give me an example.

Because when I listen to artisits like Z-Ro, Keke, Big Hawk, Pat, and Mike D the last thing I'm thinking about is California.

Next thing I know you gonna be sayin Houston is more like the Bay than Atlanta.
Your disagreeing with more of a fact. Houston's music was influenced by the Bay area. Those are bad examples you gave.

Try 5th Ward Boyz, Geto Boyz, Raheem, O.G. Style, and more. Just look up Rap-A-Lot records and you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuQ778VPx4
This was an original Geto Boys member

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 09-30-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Your disagreeing with more of a fact. Houston's music was influenced by the Bay area. Those are bad examples you gave.
A few of them are some of the most popular artists out of Houston and they're bad examples?

I assume you and Spade are speaking of artists like Scarface, but his style is pretty different from the local sound. And I know some H-Town folks don't even too much claim him no more.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
A few of them are some of the most popular artists out of Houston and they're bad examples?

I assume you and Spade are speaking of artists like Scarface, but his style is pretty different from the local sound. And I know some H-Town folks don't even too much claim him no more.
Just see what I put and it will help you understand.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Try 5th Ward Boyz, Geto Boyz, Raheem, O.G. Style, and more. Just look up Rap-A-Lot records and you'll see.

YouTube - Raheem - Dance Floor: Revised Version
This was an original Geto Boys member
These artists are just one aspect of the music scene but they don't even begin to represent the entire H-Town sound.

I still say it has stronger ties to the slowed down funk of the 90s that was just as popular in Atlanta. Even today you can still find some artists in the A who try to maintain that sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City