U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,617,692 times
Reputation: 7223

Advertisements

I don't understand why the OP compared Dallas Galleria and Houston Galleria. Houston Galleria and Northpark are more comparable.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,160 posts, read 25,695,284 times
Reputation: 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't understand why the OP compared Dallas Galleria and Houston Galleria. Houston Galleria and Northpark are more comparable.
It's simple. You see Galleria and people think they are comparable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 12,806,681 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Houston has nothing like our lake!
Lake Houston?

Clear Lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't understand why the OP compared Dallas Galleria and Houston Galleria. Houston Galleria and Northpark are more comparable.
Maybe because the Dallas Galleria was modeled after the Houston one. Or something along those lines.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,109,636 times
Reputation: 10142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Lake Houston?

Clear Lake?



Maybe because the Dallas Galleria was modeled after the Houston one. Or something along those lines.
Lake Conroe is beautiful and Lake Houston is really nice.

Clear lake is crap. I wouldnt compare it to anything nice in Houston or Dallas.

The Dallas Galleria and the Houston Galleria dont remind me of each other at all. The one in Houston is nicer. I agree with Jluke. A better comparrison is North Park and the Houston Galleria.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,427,492 times
Reputation: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Lake Conroe is beautiful and Lake Houston is really nice.

Clear lake is crap. I wouldnt compare it to anything nice in Houston or Dallas.
I believe Clear Lake is really connected to the sea and is thus salt water, brackish salt water. I don't think it is really recreational (IE swimming and such) but more for sailing and access to the Gulf. I could be wrong though. It's definitely not crap but it doesn't compare to real, land-locked lakes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 12,806,681 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I believe Clear Lake is really connected to the sea and is thus salt water, brackish salt water. I don't think it is really recreational (IE swimming and such) but more for sailing and access to the Gulf. I could be wrong though. It's definitely not crap but it doesn't compare to real, land-locked lakes.
Well yes, Clear Lake is a totally different kind of "lake" than Lake Houston or Lake Conroe. I believe that's why many try to refer to it now as the "Bay Area Houston" rather than "Clear Lake."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
 
839 posts, read 1,800,289 times
Reputation: 1124
The neat thing about Texas is that the large cities have their own style and are fairly close to each other (yet far enough). The exception is El Paso which has more ties with New Mexico and that SW desert culture.

Florida cities and towns mimic each other very much (Miami is just a grittier version of Tampa by the ocean, Orlando is just Tampa removed from the water...Daytona, Bradenton, Jacksonville, Ft. Myers all have very similar textures though St. Augustine is definitely a different animal).

Los Angeles and San Diego look a lot alike in their streetscape, San Jose and places around San Francisco don't look too different from San Diego (San Francisco itself is an exception, a classic East Coast style city)...Orange County always came across as a shared suburban extension between LA and San Diego, I mean Ocean Beach is not too far from places like San Clemente, Dana Point and all.

But Texans cities really do have their own character. San Antonio's core looks nothing like Houston. Austin's setting is definitely different than San Antonio's.

That being said, while I love Texas, Houston is THE GLUE which hold it all together for me in this region.

Dallas is a cool place, I've always loved it. The times I'd be out in Irving, it was always cool to see the neon glow of Dallas' skyline in the distance from a parking lot.

Houston's always just had a more open and chaotic, more international feel at its core and edge...and I prefer that. Dallas is international too but there's kind of a repressed nature up there...maybe that's just me.

But the OP said "Dallas is more cosmopolitan" while saying along the lines Houston is "more international." That's a contradiction in terms. I think he might have meant to say glitzy. Houston has just as much glitz but the presentation of things here in H-town is more chaotic and jumbled while in Dallas, driving along I-35W, seeing everything from their Doubletree to the Dallas Apparel Mart and all that into downtown, you capture their glitz in one fell swoop.

Ft. Worth is a great contrasting resource in the Metroplex. It's got great character and I usually enjoy Sundance Square. It's fun but kinda clean cut, reminds me of the San Diego Gas Lamp but better.

The thing I REALLY enjoy about Houston is that while our entertainment districts are in and of themselves subdued compared to other towns...other towns do not have the package of contrast we do.

Rice Village has a Santa Monica vibe but in a Euro-grid village which I think is kind of unique, rather than just being a typical straight drag which is all too common in SoCal for my tastes.

Montrose is a straight drag with a dangerous curve but look at that texture! It's part Melrose in spots but contemplate those converted Victorians which house some of my favorite coffee bars/lounges like Avantgarden to Agora Ka, and Byzantio in neighboring W. Gray. I feel that Dallas, San Diego and LA lack those types of places.

Midtown is a catwalk type environment with lots going on. W. Gray full of bars and eateries (Coco's, The Fish, Backyard, etc.) is sort of that mini slice of a NY hood that gives way to an oak tree-lined quasi-Victorian hood with more bars and eateries such as Byzantio, Cecil's and so on! You don't have that in NY or LA so much.

I love that little section of restaurant bungalows on Richmond Ave between Kirby and Shepherd, Blue Fish, Hobbit Cafe and two others...just the look of them, the feel...just in the bowels of a shiny, modern city, there is something quasi-rustic to serve up gastronomic pleasure in such an environment that lets us know that we are not in LA or NY or Dallas. By the way, you can take a few steps to McElroy's Pub or Davenport Lounge or Azteca...or an Asian spa in the Shepherd Plaza environs after the meal.

Downtown proper...talk about a Sunbelt city that has cool enough nightlife, a true urban look with skycrapers, big sidewalks with people about, Frank's Pizza, No-tsu-oh, Azuma, Tropioca, the Pavilions. LA and Dallas lack that in their downtown proper core. San Diego has the semblance but again, the Gas Lamp misses that edgy vibe. It's too Disney

And a contrast to downtown Houston...the Kemah Lighthouse District. That's a great collection of clapboard bars and cafes by the sea! I love the mom n pop vibe of it. It is offset by that more corporate Kemah Boardwalk but nobody can say that Kemah isn't a balanced entertainment area.

That's the great pleasure of living in H-town. So what if we don't have a grand Times Square or Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade. We do have all the VARYING entertaining corners that make up the entertainment scene here which is set in ways not like in other cities. You can get bored with 3rd St Promenade or Times Square as such but I can never get bored of the different array of entertainment corners around Houston.

I could go on but Houston is more my taste. My younger bro lives up in Dallas. He's the corporate clean cut type and he loves Big D. Me, a medical profession type, I like my hair long and full, he goes for the popular head shave. So to each his own. Like brother, like not, LOL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,427,492 times
Reputation: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Well yes, Clear Lake is a totally different kind of "lake" than Lake Houston or Lake Conroe. I believe that's why many try to refer to it now as the "Bay Area Houston" rather than "Clear Lake."
Well Clear Lake is opposite of clear, it's one of those irony type of things. I don't think many people in Texas know about Clear Lake.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,380,714 times
Reputation: 483
Dallas has plenty of goood soul food restaurants. I don't think the OP knew where to look.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,380,714 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
The neat thing about Texas is that the large cities have their own style and are fairly close to each other (yet far enough). The exception is El Paso which has more ties with New Mexico and that SW desert culture.

Florida cities and towns mimic each other very much (Miami is just a grittier version of Tampa by the ocean, Orlando is just Tampa removed from the water...Daytona, Bradenton, Jacksonville, Ft. Myers all have very similar textures though St. Augustine is definitely a different animal).

Los Angeles and San Diego look a lot alike in their streetscape, San Jose and places around San Francisco don't look too different from San Diego (San Francisco itself is an exception, a classic East Coast style city)...Orange County always came across as a shared suburban extension between LA and San Diego, I mean Ocean Beach is not too far from places like San Clemente, Dana Point and all.

But Texans cities really do have their own character. San Antonio's core looks nothing like Houston. Austin's setting is definitely different than San Antonio's.

That being said, while I love Texas, Houston is THE GLUE which hold it all together for me in this region.

Dallas is a cool place, I've always loved it. The times I'd be out in Irving, it was always cool to see the neon glow of Dallas' skyline in the distance from a parking lot.

Houston's always just had a more open and chaotic, more international feel at its core and edge...and I prefer that. Dallas is international too but there's kind of a repressed nature up there...maybe that's just me.

But the OP said "Dallas is more cosmopolitan" while saying along the lines Houston is "more international." That's a contradiction in terms. I think he might have meant to say glitzy. Houston has just as much glitz but the presentation of things here in H-town is more chaotic and jumbled while in Dallas, driving along I-35W, seeing everything from their Doubletree to the Dallas Apparel Mart and all that into downtown, you capture their glitz in one fell swoop.

Ft. Worth is a great contrasting resource in the Metroplex. It's got great character and I usually enjoy Sundance Square. It's fun but kinda clean cut, reminds me of the San Diego Gas Lamp but better.

The thing I REALLY enjoy about Houston is that while our entertainment districts are in and of themselves subdued compared to other towns...other towns do not have the package of contrast we do.

Rice Village has a Santa Monica vibe but in a Euro-grid village which I think is kind of unique, rather than just being a typical straight drag which is all too common in SoCal for my tastes.

Montrose is a straight drag with a dangerous curve but look at that texture! It's part Melrose in spots but contemplate those converted Victorians which house some of my favorite coffee bars/lounges like Avantgarden to Agora Ka, and Byzantio in neighboring W. Gray. I feel that Dallas, San Diego and LA lack those types of places.

Midtown is a catwalk type environment with lots going on. W. Gray full of bars and eateries (Coco's, The Fish, Backyard, etc.) is sort of that mini slice of a NY hood that gives way to an oak tree-lined quasi-Victorian hood with more bars and eateries such as Byzantio, Cecil's and so on! You don't have that in NY or LA so much.

I love that little section of restaurant bungalows on Richmond Ave between Kirby and Shepherd, Blue Fish, Hobbit Cafe and two others...just the look of them, the feel...just in the bowels of a shiny, modern city, there is something quasi-rustic to serve up gastronomic pleasure in such an environment that lets us know that we are not in LA or NY or Dallas. By the way, you can take a few steps to McElroy's Pub or Davenport Lounge or Azteca...or an Asian spa in the Shepherd Plaza environs after the meal.

Downtown proper...talk about a Sunbelt city that has cool enough nightlife, a true urban look with skycrapers, big sidewalks with people about, Frank's Pizza, No-tsu-oh, Azuma, Tropioca, the Pavilions. LA and Dallas lack that in their downtown proper core. San Diego has the semblance but again, the Gas Lamp misses that edgy vibe. It's too Disney

And a contrast to downtown Houston...the Kemah Lighthouse District. That's a great collection of clapboard bars and cafes by the sea! I love the mom n pop vibe of it. It is offset by that more corporate Kemah Boardwalk but nobody can say that Kemah isn't a balanced entertainment area.

That's the great pleasure of living in H-town. So what if we don't have a grand Times Square or Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade. We do have all the VARYING entertaining corners that make up the entertainment scene here which is set in ways not like in other cities. You can get bored with 3rd St Promenade or Times Square as such but I can never get bored of the different array of entertainment corners around Houston.

I could go on but Houston is more my taste. My younger bro lives up in Dallas. He's the corporate clean cut type and he loves Big D. Me, a medical profession type, I like my hair long and full, he goes for the popular head shave. So to each his own. Like brother, like not, LOL.
Hmmmm... I don't think I'd put "Houston" and "glitzy" in the same sentence. Dallas, along with Atlanta, is definitely the more "put together" city of the two.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top