Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's just a name of a park, the Cotton Bowl, whatever it's just a Bowl Game and stadium. It may not be Midwestern, but I agree, it does have a heavy western influence.
Wait, wait, wait. So you're telling me that there are major parks and/or landmarks in Midwestern cities named after prominent Confederate generals? Are you also telling me that the naming of the Cotton Bowl has nothing to do with Texas's, and more specifically North Texas's, chief agricultural product? The terrain in the South isn't all pine trees just like the terrain in the Midwest isn't dotted by lakes everywhere. Texas, and Dallas, is Southern--albeit in a different sense. It's kind of like how New Orleans is Southern in a very unique way given its unique history, accent, and culture.

Also, if you ask most Midwesterners they will tell you that Arkansas and Oklahoma aren't part of the Midwest. Truth be told, Midwesterns get very annoyed when people from elsewhere label anything in the interior of the country as Midwest. I've even heard some folks try to lump Wyoming in with the Midwest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
1985?! Man if you don't go somewhere with that ancient stuff lol. I was little in the 80s but we was listening to Atlantic Starr and Anita Baker in them days lol. Hell, rappers back then still wore tight pants and short shorts.

I'm talking about current times (90s-today). So maybe California had an influence way back then, but what does that have to do with present day?

And UGK arent from Houston, but they hold it down for the H. Plus the GT is only like an hour away, so they mine as well be from Houston.
1985-1993 is when Houston started to create it's scene. It was influenced by the Bay Area. When Screw and the SUC came out, the scene evolved into what it is today. I never said that today's rappers are influenced by the Bay. If I did, that was not my intention. But back then, Houston's influence was definitely connected to the Bay.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I wouldn't claim Jamie Foxx as much as he talks down on Texas.
He talks down on Texas?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But my point is that a majority of Houston sounds more like SUC than those artists you named. Screw was in it from the beginning and he wasnt sounding anything like Cali. UGK either.
Screw actually lived in LA for a minute, He moved between LA and Houston alot.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Wait, wait, wait. So you're telling me that there are major parks and/or landmarks in Midwestern cities named after prominent Confederate generals? Are you also telling me that the naming of the Cotton Bowl has nothing to do with Texas's, and more specifically North Texas's, chief agricultural product? The terrain in the South isn't all pine trees just like the terrain in the Midwest isn't dotted by lakes everywhere. Texas, and Dallas, is Southern--albeit in a different sense. It's kind of like how New Orleans is Southern in a very unique way given its unique history, accent, and culture.

Also, if you ask most Midwesterners they will tell you that Arkansas and Oklahoma aren't part of the Midwest. Truth be told, Midwesterns get very annoyed when people from elsewhere label anything in the interior of the country as Midwest. I've even heard some folks try to lump Wyoming in with the Midwest!
Like I said, it may not be midwest, but it has HUGE western characteristics. I can't remember the last time I've seen cotton in Dallas.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:28 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Like I said, it may not be midwest, but it has HUGE western characteristics. I can't remember the last time I've seen cotton in Dallas.
...and I can't remember that last time I've seen cotton in the Atlanta area, but both are in the middle of the Cotton Belt. I agree that Dallas isn't as Southern as Atlanta, but it still has Southern roots, history, and aesthetic in many parts. And yes, we both agree on the Western influence there.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
"Chill Out"
What? Everyone is chill...

Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM

103 posts, read 314,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Excellent assessment. Dallas does seem to have the more "stereotypical" image that people have in mind of Texas. It's a combination of the South, Southwest and parts of the Western Midwest (the Midwest has lots of sub-regions). Houston seems to have more of a Southeastern influence, particularly Louisiana.

But Texas just isn't that monolithic. Y'all are so darn big!

East and Northeast Houston seem to be the most "country-fied" part of the city to me. Also, Acres Homes (in north Houston) reminds me of my paternal grandmothers neighborhood in Jackson, MS. The southeastern end of Houston closest to the bay reminds me of suburbs in Florida. League City and Clear Lake remind me a LOT of parts of the Tampa Bay area (where I used to live), except the homes are mostly brick rather than stucco in that area.

An old friend of mine lives in Westchase, and she summed it up best as "Houston is Houston, you just can't sum it up that easily"

I totally agree. To me East Houston and the Pasadena/ Deer Park areas Noth Houston (5th Ward/Tidwell/Homestead/Kashmere) South Houston (Sunnyside/South Park area) are more southern or country than any other parts of Houston. The Soutwest side, Galleria, Uptown, Kirby District, Medical Center and West side of Houston are the most urban sides of Houston, more city-fied. To me Houston, is grity and huge and dirty. More of international city for foreigners, than Dallas. Dallas has that Texas-style/big suburban-style city and segragated. But its more cleaner and progessive in order than Houston. Houston is eccentric.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
I totally agree. To me East Houston and the Pasadena/ Deer Park areas Noth Houston (5th Ward/Tidwell/Homestead/Kashmere) South Houston (Sunnyside/South Park area) are more southern or country than any other parts of Houston. The Soutwest side, Galleria, Uptown, Kirby District, Medical Center and West side of Houston are the most urban sides of Houston, more city-fied. To me Houston, is grity and huge and dirty. More of international city for foreigners, than Dallas. Dallas has that Texas-style/big suburban-style city and segragated. But its more cleaner and progessive in order than Houston. Houston is eccentric.

AH HA!...so someone admits it!..lol.. j/k....

but seriously, I was telling a Dallasite about the diversity and integration of cultures in Houston and how it differed from Dallas. I was alluding to the fact that his city (Dallas) was still relatively segregated compared to Houston, and he blew up at me about how comparable Dallas' integration is to Houston...

But Im not sure he understood what I was trying to convey. I wasnt saying that Dallas doesnt have a diverse array of cultures, but rather the cultures arent as integrated with each other as they are in Houston from my experience.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-01-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM

103 posts, read 314,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Really? Did you talk to those moms, or are you assuming that because they were blonde and from Dallas they must be snobs?

I must also say that your friend must be the worlds crappiest tour guide. You missed out on so much.

lol, right on with that comment. Well the blonde moms could have been nice, but I was judging the book by its cover. I admit that. But my friend who lives in Carrollton showed around as much as she can. I wish we could of explored South Dallas and Oak Cliff more, but she has phobia of being in the "hood", so we toured North Dallas the burbs more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City