Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

I found that strange, but yeah..I agree with the last bolded statement. I think both Austin and San Antonio are definitely more influenced by western cultures (Austin, western) (San Antonio, Southwestern) than both Dallas or Houston. I think Dallas is an admixture of weak Midwestern, Californian, and mild Southern influences. But I'm definitely starting to see why some people try to lump Dallas in with the central plain cities/Midwestern cities (I personally see it as a mixture between St. Louis, Kansas City and Memphis).

The southern aura isnt as palpable in Dallas as it is in Houston or East Texas. And the landscape doesnt share many similarities with the landscape found in a majority of Southern areas. Also Houston REALLY maintains its connection with Louisiana and Cajun culture - and even Mississippi to an extent. Dallas enjoys a greater kinship with Oklahoma, which some wouldnt consider a particularly Deep South state (although still southern.)

^^^

The differences can range from the subtle to the obvious, but at the end of the day, Dallas just doesn't seem as tied to the south as Houston does. Not saying that it isn't southern, but nonetheless, just not quite as southern as Houston.

There's always seem to be this connection between Houston and New Orleans and much of Southern Louisiana.

OKC and Tulsa remind me of a smaller versions of Ft. Worth moreso than Dallas though. And the Kansas suburbs of KC, particularly Overland Park remind me a lot of Plano and Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Okay I will, but I did notice the "Dallitude" up in Frisco, we ate at a Chilies by Stonebriar and the suburban girls and guys looked like they step out of the Laguna Beach or 90210 or something. Very preppy/expenisive trendy. Even the moms we typical Dallas blonde and snobbish.
Really? Did you talk to those moms, or are you assuming that because they were blonde and from Dallas they must be snobs?

I must also say that your friend must be the worlds crappiest tour guide. You missed out on so much.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Really? Did you talk to those moms, or are you assuming that because they were blonde and from Dallas they must be snobs?

I must also say that your friend must be the worlds crappiest tour guide. You missed out on so much.

I know, right? Why go to a Chili's in the suburbs in another city unless y'all were just grabbing something quick to eat by someone's house?

That's like going to NYC and eating at Olive Garden.

I almost got smacked by my mom because of the look I gave her when we were in New Orleans and she wanted to eat at a TGI Fridays of all places.

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^^

The differences can range from the subtle to the obvious, but at the end of the day, Dallas just doesn't seem as tied to the south as Houston does. Not saying that it isn't southern, but nonetheless, just not quite as southern as Houston.

There's always seem to be this connection between Houston and New Orleans and much of Southern Louisiana.

OKC and Tulsa remind me of a smaller versions of Ft. Worth moreso than Dallas though. And the Kansas suburbs of KC, particularly Overland Park remind me a lot of Plano and Frisco.
Both very true statements. Which, I have never understood how there could be a such a strong connection to a city 4+ hours away. But indeed Houston keeps a stable connection to New Orleans, and Baton Rouge and Lafayette as well.

Oddly enough, Dallas hardly even acknowledges Shreveport or Monroe from what I can tell. I guess because there is an actual sports rivalry to be shared with OKC (Thunder?, Sooners?)...but has there ever been a New Orleans/Houston sports rivalry? (Saints, Texans.. maybe?... vs. Tulane?)

Last edited by solytaire; 09-30-2009 at 10:20 AM..

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:

And the Kansas suburbs of KC, particularly Overland Park remind me a lot of Plano and Frisco.
Totally agree....IMO, the northern suburbs in Collin and Denton counties remind me more of KC suburbs and that region. Lots of transplants from all over the US now living in Plano, Frisco, Little Elm, McKinney, Allen, Flower Mound, Corinth, Denton, etc. so it never seems very southern to me anymore.
The flatter plains with the smaller cedar/juniper trees also helps reinforce that feeling of Oklahoma or Kansas.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Jeez, I thought the exact same thing while reading the OP's initial post...

Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Oddly enough, Dallas hardly even acknowledges Shreveport or Monroe from what I can tell.
Unless it's time to gamble. But you can go to Oklahoma for that too.

Shreveport is very "East Texas" in character though.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Unless it's time to gamble. But you can go to Oklahoma for that too.

Shreveport is very "East Texas" in character though.
Yeah, which I was actually going to write. I was going to say that perhaps since Shreveport doesnt have a really unique character like South LA, maybe there is no need for Dallas to share any bond with Shreveport. However I stopped short because Dallas seems to bond with OKC which is further away than Shreveport, and I cant say that OKC has the most striking character either. So IDK.

But yeah you're right.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Is Oklahoma City further away than Shreveport? It must not be by much though.

When I lived in the northern suburbs of Dallas a few years ago, the drive to Norman was about 160 miles but I guess once you add in the additional mileage to OKC and from downtown Dallas, it would be closer to 200 miles.

The mileage to Shreveport from where I lived was close to 200 also but again it depends on downtown to downtown.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Both very true statements. Which, I have never understood how there could be a such a strong connection to a city 4+ hours away. But indeed Houston keeps a stable connection to New Orleans, and Baton Rouge and Lafayette as well.

Oddly enough, Dallas hardly even acknowledges Shreveport or Monroe from what I can tell. I guess because there is an actual sports rivalry to be shared with OKC (Thunder?, Sooners?)...but has there ever been a New Orleans/Houston sports rivalry? (Saints, Texans.. maybe?... vs. Tulane?)
There really is no rivarly between any professional teams between Texas and Louisiana. College you may can say LSU and A&M but it's barely even a rivalry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City