U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.60%
Uptown Charlotte 114 35.40%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM

13,336 posts, read 13,365,256 times

Advertisements

Definately ATL. Charlotte has along way to go to catch up with ATL. Charlotte DOES have density and MAYBE and I mean MAYBE a tad bit of size, when comparing to Downtown ATL(excluding the other skylines), but ATL has better architecture overall, and when you DO add the other skylines(as you should), then it's 100% NO CONTEST, that ATL wins. I live in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,706,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
How can pictures be biased?
you serious? this happens on this site all the freaking time.
posters can...the choice of pictures is rather misleading... you know many of us have actually been to both cities lol...

i'm not really sure why you want to use just little sections of atlanta though??? you could do that with virtually any city, why not do a 10x2 block of nyc compared to charlotte?

atlanta skyline, esp while driving is long and goes on and on in comparison

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...anta114kn6.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM

13,336 posts, read 13,365,256 times
Although we already have threads like these, DT ATL is better compared to DT Houston, DT Miami, and DT Dallas. Charlotte is not in that ELITE league of Southern skylines YET. One day it MIGHT join them, if the aforementioned skylines don't continue grow even more themselves.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,445,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This has to be one of the most nonsensical threads I've ever seen. Like LovinDecatur said, the only way Charlotte's skyline can compete with Atlanta's skyline is if you close one eye and only look at a 1.6 square mile area of Atlanta's three skylines. If you put it all together though, Atlanta beats Charlotte into the ground.
Look at what you just clearly said: "three skylines," "if you put it all together." Now downtown and midtown I'll give you since there's a small, but noticeable and definite, break between the two, but Buckhead is a little too far out. You don't have to close one eye to not see Buckhead included with downtown and midtown; that's the natural perspective from several vantage points. Just like you said, "if you put it all together." You have to do that because they're not all together (although downtown and midtown will bridge their gap sooner rather than later).

I love Atlanta to death and defend it quite often (I have an undisputed track record of doing so here), but some of y'all (NOT all) are a bit too insecure about the reality of how the city and its skylines are laid out--which I rather like, as it adds to the uniqueness of the city.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
you serious? this happens on this site all the freaking time.
posters can
Thanks for correcting yourself. Inanimate objects cannot be biased.

Quote:
...the choice of pictures is rather misleading... you know many of us have actually been to both cities lol...
How is the choice of pictures misleading as I am comparing downtown Atlanta with uptown (downtown) Charlotte? I could see if I were using some sort of arbitrary boundaries or something, but downtown is its own distinct district with its own skyline. How can that be disputed?

And I'm very aware that people have been to both cities. What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
i'm not really sure why you want to use just little sections of atlanta though???
What are you talking about, "little sections of Atlanta"? Like I said, this is downtown Atlanta, a distinct district with its own distinct, identifiable skyline. I'm not just closing my eyes and arbitrarily picking boundaries and saying, "Yeah, let's compare all of the towers in this arbitrarily defined area of Atlanta that I just made up out of thin air with uptown Charlotte."

Quote:
atlanta skyline, esp while driving is long and goes on and on in comparison
Of course it does, but they are still distinct skylines. Downtown has its own, midtown has its own (although it will blend in with downtown soon enough), Buckhead has its own, Perimeter has its own, etc. I see no one in this thread complaining about how the entire skyline isn't taken into consideration, but for some reason, there's a problem with simply comparing the CBDs of Atlanta and Charlotte in this one?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM

6,535 posts, read 6,800,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Look at what you just clearly said: "three skylines," "if you put it all together." Now downtown and midtown I'll give you since there's a small, but noticeable and definite, break between the two, but Buckhead is a little too far out. You don't have to close one eye to not see Buckhead included with downtown and midtown; that's the natural perspective from several vantage points. Just like you said, "if you put it all together." You have to do that because they're not all together (although downtown and midtown will bridge their gap sooner rather than later).

I love Atlanta to death and defend it quite often (I have an undisputed track record of doing so here), but some of y'all (NOT all) are a bit too insecure about the reality of how the city and its skylines are laid out--which I rather like, as it adds to the uniqueness of the city.
I know you have probably been to Atlanta before. You know good and well the "gaps" between the skylines are low rise buildings 2 to 10 stories tall all the way to Buckhead.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:35 PM

220 posts, read 293,730 times
Atlanta's downtown is still a bit bigger and definately more dense, but Charlotte's just looks better and is better organized.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 5,502,977 times
Quote:
I know you have probably been to Atlanta before. You know good and well the "gaps" between the skylines are low rise buildings 2 to 10 stories tall all the way to Buckhead.
My townhouse in Charlotte is 2 stories tall LOL!!! If 2 to 10 stories is all it takes to erase gaps in a skyline, I guess Charlotte's skyline goes from Uptown to downtown Columbia, South Carolina LOL!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I've been to Atlanta countless times. I know there are buildings between each of the districts, but they are too short to contribute to the skyline (like you stated, LOW RISE buildings), with the massive tree cover being one of the reasons. I never implied there was nothing but desolation along Peachtree until you hit one of those districts.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My townhouse in Charlotte is 2 stories tall LOL!!! If 2 to 10 stories is all it takes to erase gaps in a skyline, I guess Charlotte's skyline goes from Uptown to downtown Columbia, South Carolina LOL!
Thank you! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City