U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 207 64.49%
Uptown Charlotte 114 35.51%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM

6,257 posts, read 5,840,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My townhouse in Charlotte is 2 stories tall LOL!!! If 2 to 10 stories is all it takes to erase gaps in a skyline, I guess Charlotte's skyline goes from Uptown to downtown Columbia, South Carolina LOL!
LOL! Not exactly. That is in response to those (not the OP in particular) that downplay the relevance of Atlanta's skyline because it has "gaps". The "gaps" they refer to is inferring that there is nothing but parking lots or forrest between the different sections of the skyline. That's like saying there are gaps in the Manhattan skyline because there are no super tall highrises and skyscrapers for 20 or so blocks between Downtown and Midtown manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,405,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This has to be one of the most nonsensical threads I've ever seen. Like LovinDecatur said, the only way Charlotte's skyline can compete with Atlanta's skyline is if you close one eye and only look at a 1.6 square mile area of Atlanta's three skylines. If you put it all together though, Atlanta beats Charlotte into the ground.
If you would have read the first post (like you're supposed to do before posting in a thread) you would have seen where the OP specifies that we are only comparing Uptown Charlotte to Downtown Atlanta.

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM

3,534 posts, read 3,743,353 times
Atlanta downtown has alot of gaping holes and is very spread out. I think its good comparsion. Just because the ATL is larger than Charlotte dosen't necessarily mean that its skyline is better. I think give or take 10 years Charlotte will challenge the big three in the South (DAL, ATL, HOU)

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
If you would have read the first post (like you're supposed to do before posting in a thread) you would have seen where the OP specifies that we are only comparing Uptown Charlotte to Downtown Atlanta.
Oh, I read it before I posted and it still made no sense. There is like a 3 block difference between Downtown and Midtown, yet Downtown should be separate?

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My townhouse in Charlotte is 2 stories tall LOL!!! If 2 to 10 stories is all it takes to erase gaps in a skyline, I guess Charlotte's skyline goes from Uptown to downtown Columbia, South Carolina LOL!
How do you know that isn't Columbia's skyline?

Here in the big city, we call those buildings "infill", not "gaps".

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,646,489 times
Quote:
Oh, I read it before I posted and it still made no sense. There is like a 3 block difference between Downtown and Midtown, yet Downtown should be separate?
Well then tell your city leaders to stop referring to Midtown as a distinct area with its own business district then. Spearhead the dissolution of the Midtown Alliance. Tell city leaders to rename the "Midtown Mile" to something else, since there's supposed to be no distinction between the two. And so on and so forth...

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,646,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Here in the big city, we call those buildings "infill", not "gaps".
From the street level, it's just your plain ol' urban fabric or infill. From a skyline perspective, it's a gap.

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,405,172 times
Quote:
If that's the way the OP wants it, then yes. It's their thread so you gotta play by their rules . Downtown and Midtown are distinguishable enough. I have seen PLENTY of photos where Midtown wasn't include, so many people could argue that DT is a seperate skyline.

I've always said that Atlanta is one of my favorite (if not my all time favorite) skylines, but I think that Downtown and Midtown together are a fair comparison to Charlotte's Uptown.

You people are acting like we're comparing Manhattan to Minneapolis, and you know good and well the differences aren't that drastic.

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Btw, don't confuse my dislike of this thread for a dislike of Charlotte.

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,581,962 times
Quote:
LOL! Not exactly. That is in response to those (not the OP in particular) that downplay the relevance of Atlanta's skyline because it has "gaps". The "gaps" they refer to is inferring that there is nothing but parking lots or forrest between the different sections of the skyline. That's like saying there are gaps in the Manhattan skyline because there are no super tall highrises and skyscrapers for 20 or so blocks between Downtown and Midtown manhattan.
Well, you certainly won't find me "clowning" Atlanta's skyline gaps. Here in Charlotte, most of us know it is only a matter of time before Southpark and Ballantyne starts building skyscrapers. I am not sure about Ballantyne's size, but the Southpark neighborhood has nearly 5 million sq/ft of office space. Downtown Atlanta has nearly 18 million sq/ft while uptown Charlotte has close to 16 million (feel free to correct me on this DeaconJ).

Southpark doesn't have any skyscrapers, yet it is close to having the office space of downtown Raleigh (6 million sq/ft). My point is, sooner or later, Southpark will be forced to give up the campus styled developments and build skyscrapers. When this happens, Charlotte will have a six mile gap in its skyline much like the Midtown/Buckhead gap in the Atl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City