Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm starting to look bad to who...you and your boyfriend? Please.
Oooh, you made a gay joke! How cute. Is that supposed to be disparaging or something? LOL

Quote:
BOA Plaza is part of Downtown...North Avenue is the boundary between Midtown and Downtown.
OK, and others say it's in Midtown, including the building's owner. You say one thing, others say another. I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just showing you that the so-called "clear consensus" you speak of doesn't exist. That's not my fault. It's folks from YOUR city saying such, so maybe you need to be sending them emails, correcting them of their error.

So let's see, you jump down my throat for just citing sources that say the building is in Midtown while I myself never claimed it's in Midtown or downtown, then you question the reputability of the city's newspaper, the Midtown Alliance, the city's business journal, and the building's owner. I don't even know how you could top that. At the least, just say these folks are mistaken because you're just looking crazy attacking me like I manufactured this information myself.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
It's certainly not me who's saying it...I couldn't care less. It's a fact. Everything south of North Avenue...that's SONO for those who like that nickname...is part of Downtown.

Quote:
As defined by the Central Atlanta Progress (CAP) organization, the area measures approximately four square miles, and had 23,300 residents as of 2006. This area is bound by North Avenue to the north, Boulevard to the east, Interstate 20 to the south, and Northside Drive to the west.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,747,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Again I ask. Are you saying everything on Piedmont Ave. from Ralph McGill to North Avenue is Downtown?
I see you won't address my question above. And I know why. That's because anyone who actually "lives" in Atlanta knows all those little resturants and bars in that area, which is south of North Avenue by the way; that is "Midtown". There's even "The Midtown Tavern" there. Gee, I wonder why they called it that...

Link: Midtown Tavern - Atlanta - Offical Homepage: News (http://www.midtowntavern.net/news.php - broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The only ones I could think of were W hotel, Twelve Centennial Park, and two Allen Plaza midrises (Ernst & Young, Southern Company buildings).
That's it exactly. 4 buildings make a difference. But, whatever.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's it exactly. 4 buildings make a difference. But, whatever.
Sure they can. I never said they couldn't. Note that I posted a shot with those buildings included in the first post in this thread.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
They can only agree with me if I'm making a claim. I'm not doing that; YOU are--WITHOUT having posted any real sources (no, Wikipedia doesn't count).

You can't correct me; I'm not making the claim. I only cited those are who are making the claim, so you need to correct them. And I know I'm making you look worse by the moment, but there's no need for name-calling. It only goes to show that you have no other option. But God bless you; you've obviously run out of steam. I'm showing you that there are people that consider BOA Plaza to be in Midtown, and you attack me like I'M saying it. This is just sad. Nothing else to say!!!
Wikipedia is an excellent source...and very well monitored. But you can repeat criticisms that you've read in online forums if you wish...

You have made several claims...stop saying you haven't. You've claimed that BOA is part of Midtown, that you've HEARD BOA is part of Midtown, that you THINK BOA is part of Midtown, that there is no concensus as to where BOA is located...etc...etc...etc. Why in the world would you now try to say that you haven't made any claim?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Wikipedia is an excellent source...and very well monitored. But you can repeat criticisms that you've read in online forums if you wish...
Yeah, sure. My point stands. You can't even cite a reputable source.

Quote:
You have made several claims...stop saying you haven't. You've claimed that BOA is part of Midtown, that you've HEARD BOA is part of Midtown, that you THINK BOA is part of Midtown, that there is no concensus as to where BOA is located...etc...etc...etc. Why in the world would you now try to say that you haven't made any claim?
When I say "claim," I'm referring to the fact that I never said "BOA Plaza is in Midtown, no question" or "BOA Plaza is in downtown, no question." I only cited the sources I read that were in direct contradiction to the rock-solid, unequivocal claim that you made that BOA Plaza is in downtown and not Midtown. But this is getting tiresome, because it's obvious that you're just bent on repeating yourself and not engaging in real discussion and dialogue. I mean you just went off the handle here for no apparent reason. I know we've disagreed before, but dude, this just takes the cake. I'm really baffled; I don't get it. But I'm done with this discussion. Send out your emails to the AJC, the Atlanta Business Chronicle, the Midtown Alliance, Bentley Forbes, etc.--all of whom aren't based anywhere near Atlanta, according to you--and correct them of their error. You have a good one man.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Ok, to just stop this mess. The BoA tower in Atlanta is in SoNo, a neighborhood of Downtown Atlanta.

SoNo Atlanta - South of North (http://www.sonoatlanta.com/ - broken link)

I'll have to find the source, but the dispute where Downtown ends and Midtown begins has raged for years. It's muddled by the fact that the Downtown Connector tunnel separated downtown from midtown. So several years ago, a group of neighborhood residents got out the old city maps before the highway was built and looked for the original borders of Midtown and Downtown. Sure enough, Old Atlanta ended at the current location of North Avenue before the Midtown area was annexed. Thus, since the BofA tower is South of North Avenue, it is in Downtown.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ok, to just stop this mess. The BoA tower in Atlanata is in SoNo, a neighborhood of Downtown Atlanta.

I'll have to find the source, but the dispute where Downtown ends and Midtown begins has raged for years. It's muddled by the fact that the Downtown Connector tunnel separated downtown from midtown. So several years ago, a group of neighborhood residents got out the old city maps before the highway was built and looked for the original borders of Midtown and Downtown. Sure enough, Old Atlanta ended at the current location of North Avenue before the Midtown area was annexed. Thus, since the BofA tower is South of North Avenue, it is in Downtown.
Thank you very much...there always seems to be a little group of Atlanta experts who usually try to talk about things they don't know about. It's a strange phenomenon...I don't know of any other city that has nearly as many out-of-town know-it-alls.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, to just stop this mess. The BoA tower in Atlanta is in SoNo, a neighborhood of Downtown Atlanta.

And see, I can respect an answer like that. You recognize that a controversy over its exact location exists and that there's been no clear consensus on its location, at least at one time (and apparently today, at least from the sources I cited). Thanks for injecting some rationality into the discussion.

But here's a question: do you known why the Midtown Alliance includes BOA Plaza within the Midtown Improvement District?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.