Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live: Miami or San Diego?
Miami 108 31.67%
San Diego 233 68.33%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,896 times

Advertisements

Where would I live? Hmmmm... you know what? I've been pretty critical of Miami's humid subtropical climate usually. But I'm going to say that I'd choose to live in Miami over San Diego because Miami gets more rain and San Diego is too dry. Also, I am a hockey fan and Miami has the Florida Panthers while there is no pro hockey franchise in San Diego. Being in Miami would be something different than what I'm used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,306 times
isn't funny how Miami loses to every city.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
isn't funny how Miami loses to every city.
Well it "lost" to San Diego but there are a lot more people in San Diego/So.Calif than Miami. So that could be part of the reason.

Also, San Diego has many positive attributes so no shame in losing to a worthy opponent.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
SD does not have "a lot more people" than Miami. They are similar sized cities. The statistics for Miami are very misleading. The other poster said that Miami has only 400,000 people. That is because Miami's city limits cover a very small area in downtown. The city really is much bigger and more spread out. For example, Miami Beach has 300,000+ residents and Hialeah has 500,000+ residents. These areas are all considered part of Miami by most, but they are outside of the city limits. You really have to compare the greater metro areas. The greater Miami-Dade area is 2.4 million. Meanwhile, the greater San Deigo area is about 3 million according to his stats. Also, Miami is the 2nd most population-dense city in America behind NYC apparently.

400,000 people would actually be quite a small city if that's all Miami really had. That would be like a college town.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 AM

353 posts, read 816,146 times
^^ actually is more like 500,000 people...

San Diego seems like a nice city, however Miami's weather is way more variable and much more stuff and exitment to see in Miami.
obviously most people in here that have voted for San Diego are married with kids or just simply old folks. but I'm pretty sure most single people in their early age (20s 30s) and teenagers would pick Miami over San Diego.

and regarding to why Miami has the tendency to lose against every city, that is a mistery that I simply do not understand... but either way we all know Miami is an incredible city and one of the most dominating cities out there!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,731 times
I thoroughly dislike Miami and South Beach. Too tacky and cheesy for me so I chose San Diego in a landslide....

... But I love Ft Lauderdale and would love to live up there and it might be a tie with SD

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post

San Diego seems like a nice city, however Miami's weather is way more variable and much more stuff and exitment to see in Miami.
obviously most people in here that have voted for San Diego are married with kids or just simply old folks. but I'm pretty sure most single people in their early age (20s 30s) and teenagers would pick Miami over San Diego.

and regarding to why Miami has the tendency to lose against every city, that is a mistery that I simply do not understand... but either way we all know Miami is an incredible city and one of the most dominating cities out there!
While I agree that Miami is an incredible city, I think you are over generalizing. Many young people would just as quickly choose SD over Miami as vice versa.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post

I'm pretty sure you are very mistaken and naive to the negative reputation Miami has among AMERICANS. This site is filled with a lot of people under 30 as well and lot of the people that look to move to SD are young too, under 30 years old. Miami's variable weather is actually a negative for a fair amount of people as it's too hot, humid, and rains a lot in summer. Miami is a cool and fun city but a way more stressful place to live with more problems than SD.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

353 posts, read 816,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm pretty sure you are very mistaken and naive to the negative reputation Miami has among AMERICANS. This site is filled with a lot of people under 30 as well and lot of the people that look to move to SD are young too, under 30 years old. Miami's variable weather is actually a negative for a fair amount of people as it's too hot, humid, and rains a lot in summer. Miami is a cool and fun city but a way more stressful place to live with more problems than SD.
Most Americans in this website and Floridans seem to hold a intense grudge against Miami and it's suburbs, by saying it's bad and to much crime. I really question all that due to the fact that I have lived in Miami fro quite some time and I don't know what people mean with "bad" even Miami's worst neighborhood are not as bad as New York City's borough the bronx or Harlem in northern manhattan.
I mean I know it has brought the attention of some Miami fellow forumers but it has now brought my attention, was there something bad they saw or an impression they have never seen in another area? or simply the fact that they came from a country town and then stepped into an actual city and it surprised them...
I have met plenty of people out there other than hispanics in the real world that just seem to love Miami (Europeans, Asians, Americans, Canadians, ect...)

Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
San Diego. Miami (South Florida) is too brutally hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City