Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 PM

78 posts, read 169,583 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in FL and want to move. We are looking to move to a state where we can find a better way of life and not struggle. I am trying to word this the right way. We are concerned about racism. I already stumbled upon a thread for a town that we thought was going to be perfect until people started going on and on about the racism there. I know there is racism no matter where you go, but there are places where it does run rampant, which is what we are trying to avoid. If anyone can share their experiences on places where you have lived so it can help us decide if it is the right place for us that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pooka218; 09-29-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Wanted to shorten the msg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
There is racism wherever you go in the U.S. Regardless what people believe, it exists. Everybody is racist to some extent in their own special way. Some areas have more than others. It does not matter whether it is regular racism or reverse racism. Sometimes the latter is more severe these days. As a white male, I would not dare walk around in Compton or Watts during the day, much less at night. My wife is Japanese. We thought we might face adversity five years ago when we moved to Oregon. We have never had a single problem. Do some research on the cultural statistics of various areas. Generally, the larger the area, the more diverse it is. College towns are more diverse as well. Most normal people will not want to label their home area as racist, or point the finger at another area as such. The definition of racism also varies from person to person as well.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka218 View Post
My husband and I currently live in FL and want to move. We are looking to move to a state where we can find a better way of life and not struggle. I am trying to word this the right way. We are concerned about racism. I already stumbled upon a thread for a town that we thought was going to be perfect until people started going on and on about the racism there. I know there is racism no matter where you go, but there are places where it does run rampant, which is what we are trying to avoid. If anyone can share their experiences on places where you have lived so it can help us decide if it is the right place for us that would be greatly appreciated.
London, England.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
As someone mentioned, racism across the board is common throughout the WORLD, not just the U.S. In one city an element of whites may hate blacks, in another, latinos, and in another blacks discriminate against whites, etc etc ... there is no place where you won't find it, but there are obvious choice to make to help minimize it....

1) Larger cities tend to have a bigger mix of people, therefore, everyone "blends in" better.

2) Southern cities tend to exhibit more signs of racism from many sides, than say, cities in the Northwestern U.S.

3) If you are black you could move to a predominately black city like Detroit, Baltimore, or Atlanta, but even in these places you may find racism in the suburbs, and even racism/classism by inner city blacks against upper-middle income blacks, etc.

It would be better to not ask folks where you should live - make a list of places you're already considering and see what comments come about those. You need to be more specific.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 AM

402 posts, read 852,989 times
Default anywhere

Nowhere in the United States should it be a problem. AtlGreg, seeing you are from Georgia, where you imply there is more overt racism, what are some examples? I have lived in the south, and haven't seen any racism. Editing what I originally said, I am talking about logical places to move, I'm not saying there aren't any strange exceptions.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 AM

116 posts, read 364,815 times
I think you're good as long as you avoid Alabama lol

Old 09-30-2009, 03:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
The most segregated places are often said to be the urban areas of the Great Lakes states. Although Birmingham and Gadsden in Alabama come out high on the "dissimilarity index" for what that's worth.

California, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and Washington are in two lists of states with the highest percent of biracial people.

Percent of People Who are Two or More Races (most recent) by state
Total Two or More Races (most recent) by state

Considering their black population Alabama, Arizona, Massachusetts, and Missouri seems to have fairly high percentages of blacks with degrees.

StateMaster - Scatterplot: Education > Postsecondary > Degrees Awarded > Black, Non-Hispanic (per capita) vs People > Total Black Population (per capita) (http://www.statemaster.com/plot/edu_pos_deg_awa_bla_non_percap/peo_tot_bla_pop_percap/flag - broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
London, England.
Nope. There's racism there too.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
I think you're good as long as you avoid Alabama lol
Or its European counterpart, Spain.

Actually I'm sure Alabama is less racist than Spain is.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Just for the sake of brevity, is there any place outside the Bay Area where you haven't experienced racism, Montclair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City