Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times

Advertisements

Jees, you guys are just attracting more NJ and FL natives who all have their own opinionated arguments to stir up each sides "defense". I don't care what you have to say about my opinion towards Florida, and I can care less what you have to say about NJ (Unless I see utter ignorance)

I don't hate each of the two states regardless. One just happens to be the better state in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
What can you not read? Your making it seem like florida is only so populated because its bigger than NJ in land area. But that is not true because there are plenty of other states the size of FL and even larger than FL with a much lower population.

And NJ still has empty land that is unpreserved. FL has a lot of preservations as well, prolly more than NJ. But the point is NJ still has land to grow on if it wanted to. And it also has plenty of room for urban redevelopment and high rise development. so you can't blame the lack of space.
I don't think anybody wants to see NJ grow anymore in terms of urbanization. If anything, the state should do some annexing. I.E. Hackensack/South Hackensack/Maywood/Rochelle Park (60,097) They all go to the same high school as it is! The tax money for each town is just being thrown into libraries, over sized police forces, and more schools than actually needed)

I'm sure if they did some major city annexing like Jersey City-Hoboken-Bayonne (339,113) or Newark-East Orange-Belleville-Nutley (406,058) the cities themselves would be more desirable and urban renewal would hit harder than it already is. I'm sure this task would be near impossible, but I'm just imagining the possibilities.

Obviously this post wasn't all directed towards you.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Jees, you guys are just attracting more NJ and FL natives who all have their own opinionated arguments to stir up each sides "defense". I don't care what you have to say about my opinion towards Florida, and I can care less what you have to say about NJ (Unless I see utter ignorance)

I don't hate each of the two states regardless. One just happens to be the better state in my mind.
Agreed, and the reason why one is better, is personal preference

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
So. Rhode Island is the nation's second most densely populated state, for the same reasons as NJ is the first and I don't see why that is such a great state. Since when does higher population density = better state
Well, then I'll ask you to show me where I said higher population equated to a better state

My post you quoted was a response to another poster (from Florida) who suggested that NJ wasn't all that b/c of the population. This was his/her's post:

"More people would rather live in FL that's why it has double the population of NJ." -GLS2010

Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
What can you not read? Your making it seem like florida is only so populated because its bigger than NJ in land area. But that is not true because there are plenty of other states the size of FL and even larger than FL with a much lower population.

And NJ still has empty land that is unpreserved. FL has a lot of preservations as well, prolly more than NJ. But the point is NJ still has land to grow on if it wanted to. And it also has plenty of room for urban redevelopment and high rise development. so you can't blame the lack of space.
where in NJ is there empty land that is unpreserved that has tried to been built up, only to fail because of lack of buyers? it kind of sounds like i'm talking about miami! LOL

Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,431,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This poll begs to differ. Florida has 59 votes, New Jersey has 56. Yes, New Jersey has a higher population. But look at how many people have moved to Florida recently versus New Jersey. In fact, much of Florida's growth is due to people leaving New Jersey and similar states. That should tell you something. And it's not so much that people are willing to spend more money to live in New Jersey. It's that people have to pay a lot of money if they happen to live in New Jersey and they want a roof over their head. They might want to leave but be stuck because of certain circumstances.
Ok, I just noticed a mistake I made. Of course Florida has the higher population. I got Florida's population mixed up with South Carolina because I remember a similar thread comparing NJ to SC.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
The fact that both states are basically tied says something about the both of them, they're both great states, its just a matter of preference.

Ironically they're both among my top 3 favorite states.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Yes, it tells me they can't afford to live in New Jersey.
That's very possible. A lot of people have been priced out of New Jersey and other expensive states. But there are also people that could afford to live in New Jersey but would rather get more for their money in Florida. Not to mention the much more relaxed life in Florida.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
where in NJ is there empty land that is unpreserved that has tried to been built up, only to fail because of lack of buyers? it kind of sounds like i'm talking about miami! LOL
Cumberland County, MY county as well as Salem, Cape May, Atlantic, Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, and other several other counties as well. It's less a case of not buying, more a case of people buying/inheriting, and not developing.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Right -- you are further confirming my point -- a house in NJ is far more expensive than an identical house in FL -- because NJ's location is far more desirable, as illustrated by the prices that people are willing to pay for the house.

It's very, very simple.
You missed the point. You wouldn't pay more for a car just because it was a New Jersey car. So why should you pay more for a house? Just because people pay more for something doesn't mean it's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City