Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,715 times

Advertisements

I would probably go with NJ. You get your beach days out of your system during the summer, get your four seasons, get some topography, and have great urban/natural day/weekend trips all around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,129 times
I live in Nj i would easily pick Florida cheaper cost of living for someone single nicer looking cities and i love hot weather.i hate being cold and having to warm up the car and wearing layers and layers of clothes just to go to the mailbox.

Wow making 40 thousand in fl u can live like a king. Compared to making it here in New Jersey

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Wow making 40 thousand in fl u can live like a king. Compared to making it here in New Jersey
LOL, the only problem with your thinking is that if you make 40 thousand in NJ you will make 20 thousand in Florida. Then lets see how great you think that trailer park is.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Isn't reality a stinker

Quote:
LOL, the only problem with your thinking is that if you make 40 thousand in NJ you will make 20 thousand in Florida. Then lets see how great you think that trailer park is.
Yeah they don't want to listen to us... I guess they all will find out... No wonder the FL forum is probably the most complaint driven one on this board.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
That must be the math they are teaching in NJ schools...or either somebody didn't pay attention.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
There's been too many New Jersey Vs ( ) threads lately.

It makes me feel like a bias troll all the time.
I kid

But the Garden State has more of what I want. (home sweet home feel, family, friends, weather, better topography, better food etc)
I don't like the high heat and humidity, slow pace lifestyle, and modern feel Florida holds... Florida is also going through and has been through a rough year, worst than NJ.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Quote:
that forecast is great in my standards. Thats nothing like it is in june-august when all the highs are in the 90s with high humidity and high chance of storms. that forecast had highs in the 80s everyday cept one 90. and all the rain chances were 0-40% except on oct 6. and when it does rain its only for like an hour. The extreme heat and humidity days are over for 2009, its only going to get better from here =D. Right now according to weatherunderground.com the current conditions (3:17pm) are 79 clear 43% humidity, beautiful day.

Orlando, Florida (32828) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Looks much better than this:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
that forecast is great in my standards. Thats nothing like it is in june-august when all the highs are in the 90s with high humidity and high chance of storms. that forecast had highs in the 80s everyday cept one 90. and all the rain chances were 0-40% except on oct 6. and when it does rain its only for like an hour. The extreme heat and humidity days are over for 2009, its only going to get better from here =D. Right now according to weatherunderground.com the current conditions (3:17pm) are 79 clear 43% humidity, beautiful day.

Orlando, Florida (32828) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Looks much better than this:

Collingswood, New Jersey (08107) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
I feel sorry for the people that have to work outside in Florida, and most for min. wage. I will take my georgeous 4 seasons.
Outdoor workers face extraordinary challenges in South Florida's summer heat -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for the people that have to work outside in Florida, and most for min. wage. I will take my georgeous 4 seasons.
Outdoor workers face extraordinary challenges in South Florida's summer heat -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
I feel sorry for them too, i feel sorry for anyone who has to work in extreme conditions, like the ppl who have to work in below freezing weather, but thats life, it happens everywhere. Plus, real workers aren't p***ys. Ive worked outisde in Fl summers, its nothing i couldn't handle.. construction workers dont make min wage btw.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post

Wow making 40 thousand in fl u can live like a king.
Do you know how many people moved thinking like this and ended up struggling in a place we call Florida?
I have nothing against your opinion, but everything is relative almost everywhere you go. Florida is a common choice for movers from the north, but I think it's a better choice for the retirees.

Say a NJ teacher making the average 65K a year makes a move to FL.. Wouldn't it be great to make 65K in FL without paying those NJ taxes? Well yea, but no You'd slide down to about a 15K reduction sitting in a similar situation.

North to South movers who are still young and working most likely wouldn't be living like royalty like they think... It's been proven.

-Fort Myers, FL had the biggest plummet in real estate and had the biggest foreclosure rate in 2008 because the ignorant northerners bought these places that they thought were a steal ended up working for less than the housing value... People left that city for their original home state.
-Miami had a similar situation.. now it's one of the poorest cities in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City