Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 12,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
New Jersey, hands down. I would rather be in NJ hands down, than living here in Florida.

Given all the people moving OUT of Florida, I think a lot of people agree.
hi im lisa and im guessing your living in florida if you do can you tell me how it is down there because im planning on moving down there but i need more opinions from people that live down there some of the people i no that live down there seems to me are struggling but they wont tell me if they are because they want me to move down there so it would really help if i get your opinion because i dont no you.and alot of people in florida say they want to come back up north dont no why whats going on up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_soler_718 View Post
hi im lisa and im guessing your living in florida if you do can you tell me how it is down there because im planning on moving down there but i need more opinions from people that live down there some of the people i no that live down there seems to me are struggling but they wont tell me if they are because they want me to move down there so it would really help if i get your opinion because i dont no you.and alot of people in florida say they want to come back up north dont no why whats going on up there
Check the FL thread.
FL went through some really rough times with the foreclosure crisis, specifically South FL, but job growth now is at an all time high there. My grandparents move to the Fort Myers area and moved out in the next 5 years for Delaware after things got bad- They weren't offering salaries that reflected the COL. Things have changed a lot, but I'd look into it.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 AM

15 posts, read 37,548 times
Snow; Cold; State Income Tax; and the Highest Real Estate Taxes in the Nation... I live in NJ and can't wait to get to Florida !

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygene View Post
Snow; Cold; State Income Tax; and the Highest Real Estate Taxes in the Nation... I live in NJ and can't wait to get to Florida !
Alligators, snakes, fire ants, sloooooow-moving people, sloooooooow-moving traffic, apparently-headless people behind the wheels of automobiles, hurricanes, suffocating heat and humidity...I'm staying right here in Jersey.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Florida is actually a really scary place outside of some of the nicer coastal areas.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Instead of taking pop shots at one of my favorite places New Jersey, I'll just refute the silly things said about Florida:

-Alligators, snakes, and fire ants: I deal with these very rarely. Doesn't everyplace deal with nature whether it's coyotes, bears, termites, roaches, or whatnot. It's part of living in a natural world which is a huge advantage in my eyes for Florida.
-Slooooow-moving people/traffic: If you think our traffic moves slowly, try driving from Newark to Manhattan at rush hour!! I'll give NJ the nod with public transit and pace of life but good lord, people move to Florida to enjoy our laid-back beachy vibe.
-Hurricanes: Very rare for Florida, at least significant ones. Move inland to decrease your chances of damage and lower your insurance premium.
-Suffocating heat and humidity: Nothing is worse than summer in the NE where air conditioning is limited, so is open space nearer to the cities, and if you're not hangin' out at the Jersey Shore all summer, chances are you're suffocating in an urban jungle of heat and humidity. I make it a point to visit NYC in fall and winter to enjoy the cold which that area is built for, the same way Florida is built for heat. We bounce from AC bubble to AC bubble during our daily lives the way people in the NE bounce from heated bubble to heated bubble during the winters. I spoke with a girl last week who moved from Orlando to Brooklyn and she said that one month during this past summer she spend $700 going to the movies simply to be in a place with substantial air conditioning.

All in all these are two great states. NJ is vastly underrated as a whole and I think that's unfair. However after one week in NJ/NYC for Thanksgiving, I know exactly why I live in Florida. The prices for things alone are reason enough to remain here.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Instead of taking pop shots at one of my favorite places New Jersey, I'll just refute the silly things said about Florida:

-Alligators, snakes, and fire ants: I deal with these very rarely. Doesn't everyplace deal with nature whether it's coyotes, bears, termites, roaches, or whatnot. It's part of living in a natural world which is a huge advantage in my eyes for Florida.
-Slooooow-moving people/traffic: If you think our traffic moves slowly, try driving from Newark to Manhattan at rush hour!! I'll give NJ the nod with public transit and pace of life but good lord, people move to Florida to enjoy our laid-back beachy vibe.
-Hurricanes: Very rare for Florida, at least significant ones. Move inland to decrease your chances of damage and lower your insurance premium.
-Suffocating heat and humidity: Nothing is worse than summer in the NE where air conditioning is limited, so is open space nearer to the cities, and if you're not hangin' out at the Jersey Shore all summer, chances are you're suffocating in an urban jungle of heat and humidity. I make it a point to visit NYC in fall and winter to enjoy the cold which that area is built for, the same way Florida is built for heat. We bounce from AC bubble to AC bubble during our daily lives the way people in the NE bounce from heated bubble to heated bubble during the winters. I spoke with a girl last week who moved from Orlando to Brooklyn and she said that one month during this past summer she spend $700 going to the movies simply to be in a place with substantial air conditioning.

All in all these are two great states. NJ is vastly underrated as a whole and I think that's unfair. However after one week in NJ/NYC for Thanksgiving, I know exactly why I live in Florida. The prices for things alone are reason enough to remain here.
I agree. They're both pretty similar as far as people go (well, coastal areas of FL anyway) It's generally weather, pace of life, and location that determines which place has more of the lifestyle you want.

The COL in NJ is outrageous in NJ because it's the most accessible state (whether it be iconic cities, the shore, the mountains, malls, nightlife etc)- It's all in a 65 mile radius. Some people like that.

FL is the more vast state, and though the COL is rising- It's still a complete relief as opposed to Jersey. But if you prefer the weather, the year round beach access, and you don't mind being away from whatever's in proximity in to NJ- FL is the better state.

I personally do not like the weather in FL- But those beaches are far more beautiful (NJ's can be more exciting though) and the nature there is really unique and beautiful- Far too underrate, and I'm not talking about the typical "tropical vibe"- I'm talking about spanish moss hanging from enormous trees, horse farms, and pine lands with panthers in them.
I spent time all over FL- It's the only state I know best outside of the tri-state region.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Well said BPerone. Neither state is perfect but I think the obvious advantages to both outweight the negative. I know things are much closer together in the NE, but my location in Florida allows me to be within a 4 hour or less drive to 90% of the state's population.

Tampa, Sarasota, Port/Cape Canaveral, St. Pete, Gainesville, Daytona, Lakeland < 2 hours
&
Miami, WPB, JAX, Tally, Naples, F. Lauderdale < 4 hours
However I gotta hand it to Jersey for being less than 4 hours from anywhere in the DC-Bos area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I agree. They're both pretty similar as far as people go (well, coastal areas of FL anyway) It's generally weather, pace of life, and location that determines which place has more of the lifestyle you want.

The COL in NJ is outrageous in NJ because it's the most accessible state (whether it be iconic cities, the shore, the mountains, malls, nightlife etc)- It's all in a 65 mile radius. Some people like that.

FL is the more vast state, and though the COL is rising- It's still a complete relief as opposed to Jersey. But if you prefer the weather, the year round beach access, and you don't mind being away from whatever's in proximity in to NJ- FL is the better state.

I personally do not like the weather in FL- But those beaches are far more beautiful (NJ's can be more exciting though) and the nature there is really unique and beautiful- Far too underrate, and I'm not talking about the typical "tropical vibe"- I'm talking about spanish moss hanging from enormous trees, horse farms, and pine lands with panthers in them.
I spent time all over FL- It's the only state I know best outside of the tri-state region.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

41 posts, read 90,132 times
the peolpe of new jersey seem like the most mean spirited people i know. i have lived in new york city (native), las vegas, paris, boston albany ny and atlantic city, nj. meanspirited is different than arrogant (new yorkers) or superficial (las vegas_

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post

Well, I guess facetiousness doesn't come across well in posts.

But I have family in Florida who has gotten bitten by fire ants before, and my former SIL had a beautiful home on five acres, but could never let her kids play outside in the yard because of all the fire ants and snakes out there. Not too much trouble with alligators. They were around, but I don't personally know of anyone getting harmed by one.

I travel from Newark (and further) to Manhattan every day. By train, lol. Only a crazy person would drive that in the first place.

Another SIL's house and business were destroyed by hurricane Charley.

This statement: "and if you're not hangin' out at the Jersey Shore all summer, chances are you're suffocating in an urban jungle of heat and humidity" is a little strange, since most of NJ is not an urban jungle and most homes these days have central air. And we have a lot more big leafy trees, you've got to admit that!

I do like Florida, to visit, particularly the Gulf side. Very pretty place. And I am well aware that when I go there I have to slow down because they aren't going to speed up for ME, lol.

Both places have their advantages and disadvantages, just depends upon what is important to each individual! I would not be happy living fulltime in Florida, but I have a couple of coworkers who are counting the days until retirement so they can move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City