Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,271,339 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Reychesta Ft. Twista - Si Tu No Sabes De Mi (CF Films Official)

Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,670 times
Well...Richmond, VA only has a couple of signed artists but we will catch up with Hampton Roads (in response to the OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74lhYwhxMWU&feature=related

and of course (Mad) Skillz

YouTube - Skillz "Don't Act Like You Don't Know" featuring Freeway

Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,325,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Well...Richmond, VA only has a couple of signed artists but we will catch up with Hampton Roads (in response to the OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74lhYwhxMWU&feature=related

and of course (Mad) Skillz

YouTube - Skillz "Don't Act Like You Don't Know" featuring Freeway
Skillz is great.

Ya'll not catchin up with HR anytime soon though.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wha?
Come on man, I can't teach you comprehension skills over the internet.
You really don't understand what I just typed?
I understood everything you said and agree, but you have to understand no matter how much we hate mainstream rap. Our opinions don't reflect the target audience (the ones who actually buys the albums and listens to Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, Bow Wow,etc)

It's a reason why good rappers don't do well mainstream because that's not what the buyers want to listen to. If underground rappers tried to go mainstream (which some have). They either become commercialized or they stay the same and flop. You have young people today reflecting on when music was good and actually relate back to the likes of P Diddy, Juvenile, Ja Rule, and even 50 cent.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times

YouTube - The Roots Bonnaroo 2007

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,937,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You have young people today reflecting on when music was good and actually relate back to the likes of P Diddy, Juvenile, Ja Rule, and even 50 cent.
Ummmmmm
Ah man, I'm bowing out of this conversation. I have nothing more to say.
Son said................................

Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Ummmmmm
Ah man, I'm bowing out of this conversation. I have nothing more to say.
Son said................................
They were good, but they were nowhere near the best. Especially Diddy.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM

did someone say old school?

YouTube - Nice & Smooth - Early To Rise

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,765,996 times
Quote:
My question is........................ After all these years of the south being in the spotlight, where are the classic albums (scarface, outkast aside). Beyond that, where are the records that matter? Where are the records that will be seem as important? The south makes disposable music no one will talk about as significant in 10 years. Lil' Wayne will NOT be talked about in the same breath as Rakim.
Where's the south's Illmatic, The Score, Three Feet High & Rising, Fear Of A Black Planet, Reasonable Doubt, 36 Chambers, Breaking Atoms, Criminal Minded, Paid In Full, Mecca & The Soul Brother, Black On Both Sides, Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, The Infamous, Cuban Linx, The War Report, Uptown Saturday Night, Muddy Waters, Da Shinin', Ready To Die, Critical Beat down, Do You Want More, Hard To Earn?

While the East Coast had the spotlight, they made it count & dropped a wild amount of quality albums. I truly can't say the same for the south. This is your time to lay the foundation for your legacy. You're not doing it though.
Well...to play devils advocate here, we really don't know what the future holds.

Back then, when these guys were making music, I'm fairly certain they, or any of their contemporaries ever thought hip hop would grow to become the world-wide power house that it is today. Nobody at that time would have or could have known that that specific era of music would be held in such high regard today. They couldn't have known what would or would not be seen as important.

That being said, today we have no clue what will or will not be remembered. We can't say what contemporary albums are going to be seen as classics. For all we know, 10 years from now Soulja Boy could be hailed the greatest of all time. Now thats highly highly (did I mention, highly) doubtful...but we can't know, just as back then no one knew how it would be seen in the future.

Music, specifically hip hop evolves too fast for any of us to say what will or will not happen in the future. Also, hip hop is too diverse to try to say one segment is more important than the other. Its like hip hop is the answer, but there are 20 different questions. One piece of hip hop might not answer one question, while another one will.

You not gonna catch me in the club dancin to anything off Illmatic. But I wouldn't vibe to 3-6 Mafia like I would 36 Chambers...you see what I'm saying?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM

YouTube - Nice & Smooth - Funky For You

btw, dizzy plays the trumpet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City