Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs DC
San Francisco 66 40.24%
Washington DC 98 59.76%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
True, D.C. doesn't have the state preemption issues, but D.C. does not have ability to levy commuter taxes and does not have adequate congressional representation, in addition Virginia and Maryland's interests can get in the way.

I know politically D.C. is liberal but culturally its a bit different than SF, in terms of liberalism, voting democrat and have democratic bills doesn't always make the culture liberal in terms of how its perceived, the term "San Francisco liberal" is often used more than "D.C. liberal", in addition the ethnic and demographic composition of SF is different from D.C. excluding the suburbs. It may catch up but D.C. seems to have a bit more common with new york and other northeastern cities (not sure about philly , since philly is vastly different), has somewhat in common with boston although there are vast differences, hence the Boswash terminology.

DC is a very liberal city. It's not just a democratic city. I know what your saying though, but in this case DC's Finest is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not to mention BART takes you from Downtown straight to inside SF Intl Airport.

Also, BART is a heavy rail system like DCs Metro whereas MUNI is a LRT(Light Rail)
Interestingly, the BART trians are identical to the ones used in DC.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
I don't think BART & Metro are identical. They both are modern but BART runs on a different (wider) rail gauge. Metro & MARTA are very similar.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't think BART & Metro are identical. They both are modern but BART runs on a different (wider) rail gauge. Metro & MARTA are very similar.
The trains are the same ones used in the DC metro. I just got back from SF Saturday. Even the computerized voice that announces the stops is the same.

Last time I rode MARTA was back in 93 but I don't remember it being the same as DC.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Interestingly, the BART trians are identical to the ones used in DC.
Here are to-scale maps of both.
DC Metro

SF

I'm pretty sure that the Pittsburg/Bay Point Line is the longest subway line in the US. Of course, DC spanks us in ridership. LOL
http://www.fakeisthenewreal.org/img/subway/sf4a.gif (broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Here are to-scale maps of both.
DC Metro

SF
What the hell do the maps have to do with anything?? Besides one of your images does not open.

I said the trains are similar. I just read they were made by the same manafacturer. So I guess that explains it.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
What the hell do the maps have to do with anything??
Why the hell are so abrasive about it? I didnt realize that it hurt your feelings.

Some of us have sort of an interest in this sort of thing.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Why the hell are so abrasive about it? I didnt realize that it hurt your feelings.

Some of us have sort of an interest in this sort of thing.

Perhaps but you quoted me. So I assumed you wanted to address what I said about the trains. But showing maps veers a bit off subject. Perhaps you should take more time to think over what it is you want say, and how it relates to what others are posting..just a thought.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Perhaps but you quoted me. So I assumed you wanted to address what I said about the trains. But showing maps veers a bit off subject. Perhaps you should take more time to think over what it is you want say, and how it relates to what others are posting..just a thought.
Slow down there buddy We were discussing the public transit lines so I don't see how Montclair posting a map of the two different areas veers off subject. He simply wanted to show maps of the areas we are tallking about , no harm done It's a bit early in the morning to be so abrasive..just a thought.

Last edited by kcee510; 10-07-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
The trains are the same ones used in the DC metro. I just got back from SF Saturday. Even the computerized voice that announces the stops is the same.
Ehrm, the recorded voice on Metro is not computerized--it's an actual person. They held a contest a couple of years ago here in DC to replace the current recorded messages on Metro--when you hear "Stand clear, doors closing" you're hearing the winner of the contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City