Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs DC
San Francisco 66 40.24%
Washington DC 98 59.76%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 23,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
I lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life. Believe me, once you live there for a while it's NOT at all an amazing city. I prefer DC easily - except during the cold snaps. I don't like to flat out say that SF sucks, but I'll go down to 18monclair's level and admit that for me it sucks. SF sucks even more when you can't make a day trip to another big city like you can in DC.
You're not the only one who doesn't think too highly of SF. Been there many times, and it's just OK but not world class at all.

It has a very high transient population and is losing this poll so people prefer DC. To Montclair, SF is better than everywhere - yes, even including New York, London and Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
I lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life. Believe me, once you live there for a while it's NOT at all an amazing city. I prefer DC easily - except during the cold snaps. I don't like to flat out say that SF sucks, but I'll go down to 18monclair's level and admit that for me it sucks. SF sucks even more when you can't make a day trip to another big city like you can in DC.
I've heard that from others too. I have a friend that lived there last summer for an internship. He was obsessed with the city before he went. After his visits he thought it was paradise. By the end of the summer he said he doesn't think he could ever live there. I figure a lot of people might be like that. One huge positive would have been the salary increase for living there. SFFD starts their firemen at about $70k. Here in DC, we start under $45k. Have to take what I can get though when you have about 200 applicants for every 1 firefighter opening in the country right now.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
DC is world-renowned for having the worst, most godawful architecture outside of your nearest Walmart.
I can only assume this is a joke. If you're considering places like Mansassas and Rocville to be "DC", then sure. If you're talking about DC itself, you've lost your mind.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
SF is wealthy, cultured, diverse, cosmopolitan and world class. DC is not on the same level.
That's certainly debatable.

Quote:
More relevant?
Outside of perhaps NY, there isn't a more relevant city on the global stage right now than DC. I like SF and all, but it's not on DC's level in this regard--technological innovation or not. And that's not a knock on SF--SF isn't the capital of the country.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I wonder if 18montclair realizes that his posts are actually hurting SF's image.
Probably not. If you spend any time at all on C-D, you'll find homers for pretty much every city behaving like total jacka$$es and essentially trying to browbeat everyone into submission. I have no idea why anyone thinks that is an appropriate way to win people over to your argument.

And as I've said before, I think these are two very evenly matched cities. Different people will have different opinions of each place of course, but for anyone to think that either city is head-and-shoulders above the other is likely blind to the shortcomings of the city they are advocating for.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,999 times
HOLEE CRAP..the civic pride in this thread is amazing..lol.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
DC is world-renowned for having the worst, most godawful architecture outside of your nearest Walmart.

I don't like SF, but I'd take it.
No its not, DC has some ill architecture, I'd say its among the best in the US.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:18 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I wonder if 18montclair realizes that his posts are actually hurting SF's image.
Sorry-but we don't subscribe to the East Coast's pecking order of how cities..

Quote:
However, the way you talk about the city and the way you put DC down makes you sound completely ignorant.
But that's just it-I've been to DC over 20 times over the last 2 decades. Its a great town-correct. But its not San Francisco. Not in the least.

Quote:
Your posts pretty much say that SF is the best city ever and DC is terrible and not even in the same league.
As far as diversity, cosmopolitanism and being an leader in innovation-DC is definitely NOT, in the same league.

Quote:
In you mind its laughable to think DC can compare in anyway[
DC is an awesome city-Ive stated that time and time again-but cities are not equal. No they arent.

As a place to visit, San Francisco is almost always ranked alongside Paris, Rome and Florence for heavenssake.

DC is never to be found on those surveys-and there's a reason why.

Quote:
The funny thing is that DC is winning the poll so the majority of the people obviously think your wrong.
Northeastern pride coupled with SF envy.

What else is new?

Quote:
San Francisco is an amazing city and doesn't need your senseless posts to back it up.
Actually I'm the only one thus far to actually post stats to confirm what I've said. San Francisco is unquestionably more diverse and the Bay Area runs circles around DC-Baltimore as a place of innovation and a magnet for the world. All true.

Many can be accused of talking out of their arses, but not me.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 6,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I wanted to visit SF-never did because of the horror stories I've heard about the very aggressive homeless population there. DC. But I like the West Coast much better.

yea..a few homeless people is enough to keep you away from visiting San Francisco.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as diversity, cosmopolitanism and being an leader in innovation-DC is definitely NOT, in the same league.
I am increasingly coming to love definitive statements about things which cannot possibly be measured. And the individuals who grow upset at being challenged on them. Is there some "cosmopolitanism" ranking somewhere that I am not aware of that places San Francisco immeasurably beyond DC? If so, what contributed towards such a ranking?

I am becoming increasingly suspicious of DC-related rhetoric that appears not to have been updated since the 1980s. Perhaps no city in America has changed more substantially than DC has during the past 20 years. While I make no claim to be able to definitively measure such intangible characteristics as "sophistication," "cultured" and "cosmopolitanism," I can say with some degree of certainty that anyone who questions just how interesting and, ehrm, cosmopolitan the city has become likely has not spent much time in it recently.

San Francisco is a wonderful city blessed with a gorgeous natural setting and cultural richness. But it certainly doesn't blow DC away--not by a long shot. To say otherwise is to overvalue San Francisco and undersell DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City