Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 AM

415 posts, read 1,205,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Are they as appealing or friendly to business as Georgia though?
O YEH!! Espically NC, NC will pay and geve major companies Incintives if they relocate or just locate in NC growing up I've seen it all over the news where other states like VA and GA were trying to compete with us trying to lure companies into the state!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just do not agree with that. It represented Georgia or maybe even the immediate region. But not the entire region. No offense, but it didn't represent us out in Texas. That's just me.
I would agree with this too. Atlanta has very little influence in Texas. If I had to pick a Southern city outside of Texas that was most influential or connected to the state, it would probably be Nashville, New Orleans, or Oklahoma City. To me, it seems like we have more connections and influences form Southern California or Midwestern cities then Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
I agree and quite honestly i don't agree that Atlanta would be considered the capital of the south and if I were a Georgian or how ever you say it I would be scared! just came across the 2030 Population Estimates!! here is the link below!
Population Projections - State Interim Population Projections by Age and Sex: 2004 - 2030
and here is the link to the Excell Chart
http://www.census.gov/population/pro.../PressTab1.xls

Now(2000 Census):
[SIZE=2]Georgia[/SIZE][SIZE=2]8,186,453[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]North Carolina[/SIZE][SIZE=2]8,049,313[/SIZE]

Future(2030 Census):
[SIZE=2].North Carolina[/SIZE][SIZE=2] 12,227,739 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2].Georgia[/SIZE][SIZE=2] 12,017,838 [/SIZE]
Those are only estimates and they have been shown to be wrong before. But I do think that eventually, North Carolina will become more populous than Georgia. But no city in North Carolina will catch up with the behemoth that is Atlanta anytime soon.

Quote:
You can't lie though with the Raleigh Durham being the fastest growing Metro in the US(US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/013426.html - broken link)) and fast growing cities like Greensboro Winston-Salem High Point Asheville Wilmington Fayetteville and all the other cites ESPICALLY CHARLOTTE!! soon CLT will be in the same or bigger League then ATL!
The only truly fast-growing cities in NC are Charlotte, Raleigh, and Wilmington. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Asheville, and Fayetteville all post average growth rates. And no, Charlotte will NOT be "in the same or bigger league than Atlanta" anytime soon. Atlanta's metro area is already over three times as large as Charlotte's (5.3 million vs. 1.7 million). And with our high unemployment and the banks losing luster, we're probably not going to be growing as fast as we once were in the foreseeable future. It will still be faster than average, but not as much as we used to.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I would agree with this too. Atlanta has very little influence in Texas. If I had to pick a Southern city outside of Texas that was most influential or connected to the state, it would probably be Nashville, New Orleans, or Oklahoma City. To me, it seems like we have more connections and influences form Southern California or Midwestern cities then Atlanta.
Yeah I agree with you especially about New Orleans. Not necessarily with Nashville and OKC to an extent.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree with you especially about New Orleans. Not necessarily with Nashville and OKC to an extent.
I think Nashville more for culture (Country music is the first thing that comes to mind). But I have met people more moving form Nashville to Texas (or visa versa) than Atlanta. OKC is probably limited to North Texas.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I do agree that Atlanta has little influence on TX. When you have Houston and Dallas within your state, why would it? However, the earlier poster said that Atlanta has little influence outside of GA. Wrong. Atlanta is a regional center for the Southeast and has been for decades.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do agree that Atlanta has little influence on TX. When you have Houston and Dallas within your state, why would it? However, the earlier poster said that Atlanta has little influence outside of GA. Wrong. Atlanta is a regional center for the Southeast and has been for decades.
That was probably my post you're talking about. Let me expand on that. I was saying that Atlanta does not have influence over the entire region as a whole. Meaning from Texas to Virginia. I do know that Atlanta has influence over the majority of the region. But the edges of the South like VA, TX, and even Southern Florida is a huge stretch. This is why I called Atlanta the center of the South because it historically has more ties to the majority of the region than either Texas city does. But as far as Atlanta having the olympics representing the South, I disagree with that.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
That was probably my post you're talking about. Let me expand on that. I was saying that Atlanta does not have influence over the entire region as a whole. Meaning from Texas to Virginia. I do know that Atlanta has influence over the majority of the region. But the edges of the South like VA, TX, and even Southern Florida is a huge stretch. This is why I called Atlanta the center of the South because it historically has more ties to the majority of the region than either Texas city does. But as far as Atlanta having the olympics representing the South, I disagree with that.
Notice I said Southeast. I personally would not tie VA in because of its' proximity to DC and southern FL because of Miami. TX I already qualified.
So, I don't disagree with your statement that I highlighted.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta is a regional center for the Southeast and has been for decades.
Atlanta has little influence on TX, AR, LA, FL, more than half of MS, and West TN. <- that wouldn't be a large chunk of the Southeast?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Well speaking for myself. ATL had influence in the town I grew up in because lots of my friends planned to move to ATL to purse a career in the entertainment industry. Three of them have already made the move, and one is doing music videos right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City