U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,976,345 times

Advertisements

I don't know the specifics of oil in GA, but let one named storm hit the gulf and watch gas prices in the GA and NC areas.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM

12,893 posts, read 19,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I don't know the specifics of oil in GA, but let one named storm hit the gulf and watch gas prices in the GA and NC areas.
LOL THAT is true...the sword cuts both ways. I remember all too painfully the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and its' effect on Atlanta's gas supply.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL THAT is true...the sword cuts both ways. I remember all too painfully the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and its' effect on Atlanta's gas supply.
I don't even understand. Our gas went down 10 cents that week, in far out the way places it went up a dollar or more in some cases.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I don't even understand. Our gas went down 10 cents that week, in far out the way places it went up a dollar or more in some cases.
Wasn't it because of a rupture in the pipeline that had to be repaired? We simply weren't getting gasoline from Houston. Boy, it was ugly...long lines, gas allotments for 2 weeks. Your gas probably went down because it was all sitting there.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM

8,179 posts, read 7,531,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just do not agree with that. It represented Georgia or maybe even the immediate region. But not the entire region. No offense, but it didn't represent us out in Texas. That's just me.
Well parts of Texas.Texas is a archpeldie...?i cant think of that word.Do you know waht i'm trying to say?Please its bothering me.lOL.Im trying to say that Texas as a state overall is "different" kind seperate.Yet it retains a lot of character that is Southern.I mean really,the 3 rd President of Texas was from Georgia!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That was probably my post you're talking about. Let me expand on that. I was saying that Atlanta does not have influence over the entire region as a whole. Meaning from Texas to Virginia. I do know that Atlanta has influence over the majority of the region. But the edges of the South like VA, TX, and even Southern Florida is a huge stretch. This is why I called Atlanta the center of the South because it historically has more ties to the majority of the region than either Texas city does. But as far as Atlanta having the olympics representing the South, I disagree with that.
That is not what I was trying to convey.I know Atlanta does not have an overwhelmingly more influence on Texas like it does say in N.C.or S.C. or even Tenn.
But during the OLYMPICS the South was grouped together and brodcast to the world.And many outside of the U.S. still use the Olympics in Atlanta as a point of
reference as to WHERE and ABOUT HOW the South is.They often get confused about Southwest and South.To us nationally,we realize that there is a major difference.Yet when one thinks of out West,they think of California,more so than Texas.They may think Southwest(rarely) but they will also think of South more often.Which here we are again!Texas is BOTH.So because it is BOTH it CAN NEVER BE THOUGHT OF AS THE CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH!Now I'm not saying that New Oreans or Nashville cannot ake claims too.They have strong support to suggest that either is acceptable.
Does that make better sense or at least show my reasoning?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wasn't it because of a rupture in the pipeline that had to be repaired? We simply weren't getting gasoline from Houston. Boy, it was ugly...long lines, gas allotments for 2 weeks. Your gas probably went down because it was all sitting there.
Never heard about the pipeline rupture. Gas prices in the Atlanta area went up when Gustav became a threat and carried over to the week of Ike. Gas prices in the norther parts of Mississippi even skyrocketed.

I know that the closing of most of the LA/TX platforms played a role. Doesn't GA get most of its oil from LA?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Never heard about the pipeline rupture. Gas prices in the Atlanta area went up when Gustav became a threat and carried over to the week of Ike. Gas prices in the norther parts of Mississippi even skyrocketed.

I know that the closing of most of the LA/TX platforms played a role. Doesn't GA get most of its oil from LA?
After the last debacle, I understand that Houston plays a huge role in Atlanta's fuel supply.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,342,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I hear that also, but only form a College, HBCU standpoint. Not really for SETTLING there. Most just head out to Houston or Dallas, OR like Spade said, out West to LA and the rest of Cali.
Blacks in Texas for the most part stay in Texas just like the rest of Texans. The ones that leave always end up coming back. LA is not a hot destination for blacks like it has been in the past. Blacks are leaving the golden state in record numbers.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Blacks in Texas for the most part stay in Texas just like the rest of Texans. The ones that leave always end up coming back. LA is not a hot destination for blacks like it has been in the past. Blacks are leaving the golden state in record numbers.
Actually just like the general population of people,not just blacks.Cost,taxes,natural disaters,government cutbacks etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.