Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
It's the hub of the Southeast (excluding Washington DC & Miami/Fort Lauderdale). Or at least it dubs itself as the hub of the Southeast. States like TN, AL, MS, SC, North Florida, GA, & NC look to Atlanta as the leader of their region.

Atlanta does nothing for Washington DC, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Houston, & Dallas/Fort Worth, because those places have their own spheres and their own influence but Atlanta is the central hub of a region that has just about 46,000,000 people.
north Carolina does not look to Atlanta. We have Charlotte and Raleigh. Even though thye are smaller they still have 90% of the influence in this state. Even in South Carolina they are influenced by Charlotte and Columbia. Atlanta may have influene over the extreme western part of S.C. but thats it. Sorryfor the reality check..

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Most of south La, MS, and Alabama look to New Orleans. West of Baton Rouge/Lafayette, La look to Houston. North La with Dallas.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
north Carolina does not look to Atlanta. We have Charlotte and Raleigh. Even though thye are smaller they still have 90% of the influence in this state. Even in South Carolina they are influenced by Charlotte and Columbia. Atlanta may have influene over the extreme western part of S.C. but thats it. Sorryfor the reality check..
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Most of south La, MS, and Alabama look to New Orleans. West of Baton Rouge/Lafayette, La look to Houston. North La with Dallas.
yeah, there are other major areas in the South other than ATL, while it is major, it has competition from DC, Houston, Miami, Raleigh, Memphis, NOLA, and other cities

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
NC, and moreso Charlotte definitely looks to Atlanta. You've seen the CIAA, and in high school as well as the spring break in college Atlanta is the talk. Now, in some aspects Charlotte and Raleih hold some autonomy in their respective areas, but Atlanta is definitely the kingpin.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM

228 posts, read 397,511 times
Altanta is the capital of the Southeast. Atlanta has No influence at all in Texas.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

No. It's more like this; Houston/New Orleans influence overshadow one another. However, both have great influence over LA and MS.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
NC, and moreso Charlotte definitely looks to Atlanta. You've seen the CIAA, and in high school as well as the spring break in college Atlanta is the talk. Now, in some aspects Charlotte and Raleih hold some autonomy in their respective areas, but Atlanta is definitely the kingpin.
Growing up in Charlotte i never really heard much Atlanta talk. Even though Atlanta was seen as a big city..... Even now as an adult here in Greensboro you here more of Charlotte and to a lesser degree Raleigh. Every now and then you may here Atlanta mentioned. When I here Atlanta mentioned in Charlotte now it s moreso about Charlotte trying to avoid the mistakes that Atlanta made and not becoming the next "Atlanta". Hell even when I lived in Atlanta i saw more articles written about Charlotte in the AJC then i did in the Charlottte Observer about Atlanta..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Growing up in Charlotte i never really heard much Atlanta talk. Even though Atlanta was seen as a big city..... Even now as an adult here in Greensboro you here more of Charlotte and to a lesser degree Raleigh. Every now and then you may here Atlanta mentioned. When I here Atlanta mentioned in Charlotte now it s moreso about Charlotte trying to avoid the mistakes that Atlanta made and not becoming the next "Atlanta". Hell even when I lived in Atlanta i saw more articles written about Charlotte in the AJC then i did in the Charlottte Observer about Atlanta..
exactly. Some people think that because the metro is the largest in that particular area you can't take a crap without going to ATL. I mean, apart from an occasional layover what on earth would you have to leave Charlotte to go ATL for?

It is like saying because DFW is bigger than Houston so it controls Texas.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No. It's more like this; Houston/New Orleans influence overshadow one another. However, both have great influence over LA and MS.
Not at all. Living in Baton Rouge my whole life I never felt any bond with Texas or Houston. We are focused around New Orleans, as well as most of the central Gulf region. Houston stops at either the Vermillion river or the Mississippi river. Houston doesn't reach into Mississippi at all, Mississippi is dominated by New Orleans in the south and Memphis up north.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
exactly. Some people think that because the metro is the largest in that particular area you can't take a crap without going to ATL. I mean, apart from an occasional layover what on earth would you have to leave Charlotte to go ATL for?

It is like saying because DFW is bigger than Houston so it controls Texas.
Texas is a little different because there are two very large metros. I think a better way of putting it would be that people in places like Austin and San Antonio would argue with those "controlling" Texas.

As for Atlanta, it definitely has a large regional impact, well beyond its states borders...but most states look inward when it comes to the dominant forces. They look to state capitals and the large cities in their regions more than they do to the outside.

I will say that Atlanta does have an impact on a lot of the area around it, as many baseball fans in the South look at the Braves as "their team." That effect has been somewhat minimized as more professional teams have located in Tennessee and North Carolina...but the Braves influence still remains.

Of course there is the airport...but as some of the other larger cities in the South have grown up, they have found more direct flights to their destinations, and more connecting flights that don't go through Atlanta. Charlotte has a very big airport, and Memphis and Nashville certainly hold their own. As long as you aren't flying Delta, there's not really as much of a chance that you will be herded through Atlanta, except in the case that you might be flying internationally.

Atlanta is the big dog of the region, so that creates both praise and animosity. The mid sized Southern Metros want to be like Atlanta in size or importance, but they don't necessarily want to be like Atlanta. Speaking from the Tennessee perspective, you find both people who love Atlanta for all of the fun and opportunities it provides, and those who hate its big city and congested atmosphere.

So basically, Atlanta is definitely the biggest city and economic engine in the Southeast, but it is not really more important to people outside of Georgia than their own cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City