Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It is the most widely-known/recognized city in the South, most international, and (arguably) best weather. It also gets a lot of businesses, so I don't see how my post didn't make a case for most important city in the South. Unless we're talking Southern culture, which Miami has none of whatsoever (more Caribbean/Latin flavor).
Miami is an interesting case. In a way, its not really comparable to the other three major areas in the South (Houston, DFW, and Atlanta). Miami contributes little to the domestic economy but is a huge player in Central and South America as well as the Caribbean and Southern Europe.

Houston, DFW, and Atlanta are different. All three are more of a mix economically of domestic and international with Houston have an international lean and DFW and Atlanta having a domestic lean. I still say Houston is more important than Miami, DFW, or Atlanta because the economy is the largest and because of its roll in the oil industry. The other three are closer together, though I do think DFW is more important than Atlanta or Miami because the economy is so much larger. However, on an international level (and specifically South/Central America, the Caribbean, and Europe) I can see Miami being the most important of the lot.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know why you keep saying this (in the second bold). This is absolutely false. And within in the South, Miami is not the more widely-known/recognized city. That honor would belong to Atlanta.
I wouldn't be surprised if Houston, Dallas, and Miami were as equally known as Atlanta. Why ATL specifically?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Houston, Dallas, and Miami were as equally known as Atlanta. Why ATL specifically?
Olympics 20 years ago.

Plus dont forget, when you pop open a coke anywhere in tge world you exclaim "ahhhhhhh, ATLANTA!!!!!!!!"

Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,470,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It really bothers me when people consider DC southern. We do not associate with them! Please stop!
It really isn't that serious.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,142,871 times
DC and Maryland are in the South. They are not culturally Southern. That's the difference.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,069,406 times
Economically, then of course, Houston destroys Atlanta. Culturally however, I don't believe Houston beats out on Atlanta....threads on CD alone have proved this. Atlanta on nightlife and favorite city in the south threads doubled Houston's votes.

For such a important city, Houston transit is terrible. The claims of top 5 in North America is hilarious...if it was that great, we'd have seen heavy rail transit going across the city and a much stronger urban core.

And why does Atlanta get much more visitors and conventions? Why does it have such a more active downtown? Why is Houston's downtown so dead to be a top 5 North American city? You'd assume being the 4th largest city in America and top 5 MSA/CSA, it's urban core would be more vibrant.

Just saying. Stop bringing up GDP into everything when it comes to Houston. I feel like Houston posters ALWAYS use that as a case that they are soooo important and worldly. Did you know that Houston has a higher GDP then Hong Kong? But if I had to take a guess on the more world class city, that choice would be pretty simply.

If media perception helped Atlanta become one of the more popular southern cities, then so be it. I'd rather be in a more exciting city anyway and I fully believe from my trip to Houston and spending 8 years in Atlanta that Atlanta is the more exciting city. Many lists on here agree that Atlanta is one of the most exciting cities in the states....I rarely see Houston's name.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,885,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Olympics 20 years ago.

Plus dont forget, when you pop open a coke anywhere in tge world you exclaim "ahhhhhhh, ATLANTA!!!!!!!!"
Oh don't forget Houston more known because they have nigerians and largest theater district outside NY and Houston we have a problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Economically, then of course, Houston destroys Atlanta. Culturally however, I don't believe Houston beats out on Atlanta....threads on CD alone have proved this. Atlanta on nightlife and favorite city in the south threads doubled Houston's votes.

For such a important city, Houston transit is terrible. The claims of top 5 in North America is hilarious...if it was that great, we'd have seen heavy rail transit going across the city and a much stronger urban core.

And why does Atlanta get much more visitors and conventions? Why does it have such a more active downtown? Why is Houston's downtown so dead to be a top 5 North American city? You'd assume being the 4th largest city in America and top 5 MSA/CSA, it's urban core would be more vibrant.

Just saying. Stop bringing up GDP into everything when it comes to Houston. I feel like Houston posters ALWAYS use that as a case that they are soooo important and worldly. Did you know that Houston has a higher GDP then Hong Kong? But if I had to take a guess on the more world class city, that choice would be pretty simply.

If media perception helped Atlanta become one of the more popular southern cities, then so be it. I'd rather be in a more exciting city anyway and I fully believe from my trip to Houston and spending 8 years in Atlanta that Atlanta is the more exciting city. Many lists on here agree that Atlanta is one of the most exciting cities in the states....I rarely see Houston's name.
We knew we would count on you to spend an good majority of your post to bash Houston. We aren't talking about downtown and you still ant to bring that up. Houston doesn't have an active downtown yet. We know this. You've talked about this for the past few months. We get the point. And nothing on CD proves anything.

The reason why Houston doesn't have a better transit system now is simply politics. No city in this country has faced as much opposition to put transit in the city as much as Houston has. When you have people like John Culberson and Tom Delay threatening to withhold funding each and every time you propose any options outside the car, what can you do? When you have mayors still build more road after road even when voters voted for a transit system to be built, what can you about it? Houston is still facing this same opposition from the likes of Culberson.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Atlanta has a much larger pull and more connections within the South than the other three possibly could ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City