U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which southern state do you think is the most urban?
Texas 44 28.39%
North Carolina 20 12.90%
Virginia 35 22.58%
Georgia 35 22.58%
Flordia 71 45.81%
Tennesse 4 2.58%
Alabama 1 0.65%
Mississippi 1 0.65%
Arkansas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM

8,089 posts, read 7,367,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andillus View Post
Baltimore seems pretty urban to me...
The poster is an antagonist.Even though technically and historically those states are Southern.In to days world many people consider them either Mid-Atlantic or Northern.This poster is biased against ANYTHING in the South and routinely will vote for anything that is even remotely closer to what is the Northeast and its environs.In this case those two states were not even included in the poll,yet he(as in his usual nature),remarked on those states even though it in no way contributed to the conversation at hand.The poster is one of those people that is so biased,and deceitful you cannot TRUST anything he/she says.

However since you asked.I have to retract a little from what I previously posted. Delaware IS NOT urban by any sense of the word.However Maryland is MORE so(urban) only because of D.C. and Baltimore.It however it seems more rural once you get out of those areas.Yet by the numbers it may not be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Please provide an example of this taking place just once in the U.S.
I heard they are going to nuke to sunbelt cities and completely make them urban.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM

415 posts, read 671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Very true, Jluke, in terms of pure numbers. See table at the very end of this article:

Texas Ahead: Rural Areas
hey u guys random fact did u know that NC has a larger Native American Population than North Dakota South Dakota and Montana combined?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
nope no way..

Virgina has Norfolk-Virginia Beach- Newport News, Richmond- Petersburg, Arlington- Alexandria, Roanoke, Winchester, Charlottesville, etc.
that is one thing i could argue with, when i say Urban or Metro im talkin at least 700,000 or more small cities like arlington alexandria Winchester(never heard of) charlottesville, have very small metro areas compared to Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami if that was the case almost every town in North Carolina has been converted into cities and i could give you the LONGEST LIST! of cities in North Carolina but most of them are going to be 100,000 or less

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,843,931 times
Virginia.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well it depends what the OP meant by urban. Did he mean URBANIZED? If that's what he meant, then the suburban sprawl areas count as urbanization.
yeh i meant urbanized

Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
I'm surprised that so many people have said Virginia. Our state has three primary major metropolitan areas---NoVA (the "Mauve Wonderland"), Richmond, and Hampton Roads. We then have just a few medium-sized metropolitan areas like Roanoke and Charlottesville. By and large though the vast majority of the state's land area is still rural. You need only go 35 miles outside of Washington, DC via I-66 West to enter into some purely rural areas and part of the NoVA wine country west of Manassas/Gainesville.

I think the best measure of this would be to rank the states by the percentage of their land that is "urbanized" (that would include the tacky urban sprawl most Southern states are famous for). I would personally feel as if a good order might be as such:

1.) Florida
2.) Maryland (If you consider this to be a "Southern" state)
3.) North Carolina
4.) Virginia OR Tennessee
5.) Georgia
6.) South Carolina
7.) Alabama
8.) Mississippi
9.) Delaware
10.) Texas

Why put the nation's second-most-populous state in last place, you may ask? Well, while Texas may be a very powerful and influential state with cities like Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Brownsville, Laredo, Amarillo, Abilene, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Waco, etc., I firmly believe that this state, due to its very large land area, still has a relatively small percentage of its overall land area developed.

Florida does appear to be very urbanized overall, perhaps save for the Panhandle and the Everglades. I don't know what one of the prior posters was thinking, but Maryland is INDEED quite urbanized. Baltimore is a very urban city, and everything between Baltimore in DC is suburbia. Prince George's County, to the east of DC, is near full build-out, as is Montgomery County, just to the NW of DC. Frederick County is growing very rapidly as well. Overall a huge chunk of Maryland is developed, with the Eastern Shore and Garrett County really being the only two "untouched" areas. North Carolina's epic sprawl problems have made it so that the Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, and Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill metros are all just about touching one another, and when you throw in medium-sized areas like Kannapolis, Fayetteville, Asheville, etc. the state does have a great deal of its land area consumed by development as well. Next down the list would be Virginia OR Tennessee---I really would have trouble giving the nod to one over the other without doing some calculations.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm surprised that so many people have said Virginia. Our state has three primary major metropolitan areas---NoVA (the "Mauve Wonderland"), Richmond, and Hampton Roads. We then have just a few medium-sized metropolitan areas like Roanoke and Charlottesville. By and large though the vast majority of the state's land area is still rural. You need only go 35 miles outside of Washington, DC via I-66 West to enter into some purely rural areas and part of the NoVA wine country west of Manassas/Gainesville.

I think the best measure of this would be to rank the states by the percentage of their land that is "urbanized" (that would include the tacky urban sprawl most Southern states are famous for).
This was posted one page back:

Metropolitan Distribution - Kaiser State Health Facts

% living in metropolitans by state:

Texas:89%
NC:65%
SC:65%
Virginia:84%
Georgia:85%
Florida:96%
Tennessee:75%
Alabama:73%
Mississippi:44%
Arkansas:63%
Louisiana:84%

But your comment about "tacky urban sprawl most Southern states are famous for" just took away any bit of legitimacy your post might have had. Some people just can't post anything without bad-mouthing something. If I didn't know any more than what the above comment exhibits, I wouldn't say anything at all.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,683,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
that is one thing i could argue with, when i say Urban or Metro im talkin at least 700,000 or more small cities like arlington alexandria Winchester(never heard of) charlottesville, have very small metro areas compared to Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami if that was the case almost every town in North Carolina has been converted into cities and i could give you the LONGEST LIST! of cities in North Carolina but most of them are going to be 100,000 or less
Okay sorry.. Well Hampton Roads Aka Norfolk- Virginia Beach have almost two million and Richmond has 1.2 million.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This was posted one page back:

Metropolitan Distribution - Kaiser State Health Facts

% living in metropolitans by state:

Texas:89%
NC:65%
SC:65%
Virginia:84%
Georgia:85%
Florida:96%
Tennessee:75%
Alabama:73%
Mississippi:44%
Arkansas:63%
Louisiana:84%

But your comment about "tacky urban sprawl most Southern states are famous for" just took away any bit of legitimacy your post might have had. Some people just can't post anything without bad-mouthing something. If I didn't know any more than what the above comment exhibits, I wouldn't say anything at all.

What else would you call seas of cul-de-sacs, big-box stores, strip malls, 8-lane freeways, etc.? Apparently you don't spend much time in Washington's Virginia suburbs outside the Beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City