Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 146 48.03%
MIAMI 158 51.97%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow, I've never been in a snowstorm where everything was shut down, that's crazy. I recall them closing the schools only twice in my lifetime (that March 2nd, 2009 storm was one of them and we only got 5 inches).

I always wanted to dig out people's cars for them but I get cold too fast and plus I heard of kids getting gypped after doing all that work lol.
There were a few times when I-95 was shut down, we were just walking down the middle of it.

We never had a problem getting paid, no one wants a shovel through the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Your list makes more sense than a list that is used by the insurance industry? Your list makes more sense if you are trying to sell houses in Florida, but I would not call it more valid than the source I posted.
FL does have a lot of tornadoes to be sure, although a lot of these are out over the water...and pretty small scale. The ones out in the midwest are the real deal and leaving communities destroyed. I've seen dozens out over the water, I lived about 12 years ON the beach on gulf side... I've never ever seen one on land though, but plenty of funnel clouds. I remember once the civic center in Tallahassee got ripped off by one though, and some trees were ripped up by my grandfathers house in Ft. Walton. My old elementary school also got its roof damaged by a tornado. Never anything catastrophic though I remember.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Neither of the alleged tornado lists are very good. Lincoln, IL is not a metro area. OKC does not have more tornadoes than TN. What it has is F-4/5. Tornaodoes move SW to NE. More US tornadoes are spawned in farmland every years than the US huricanes that are formed at sea. I've been in 4 tornadoes in 3 states and I was living in Tornado Alley when the F-5 in OKC stayed on the ground for several hours. It was 5 miles wide and it covered 40 miles. If you want facts that are not skewed use NOAA.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
These three links show where tornado occurrences are they vary a little but they give you a good idea:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nado_Alley.gif
http://franklin.thefuntimesguide.com...ey-map-niu.jpg
http://www.todoatlas.com/mapa/tornado.jpg

Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
I guess your trying to say Miami is not tropical.
Miami is an Aw climate or a Tropical Savana or Am climate a tropical monson climate. It really depends where in South East Florida you are. But since Miami does average more than 35in of rainfall a year and never has no months which the temp falls below 16c. It is a true tropical climate not subtropical. The summers wet season is what makes it really tropical since the ITCZ does move North in the Northern Hemisphere's summer. South Florida is the only area on the continental US to have a true tropical climate. One of the great aspects of living in Miami IMO.

I dont see how NYC weather is better unless you need 4 seasons. Miami has perfect winters and their summers are not that much different. Sure the average temps in Miami are higher but NYC on its hot days will be worse than Miami. And Miami always has a chance to cool down every summer afternoons with their thunderstorms. I like the storms and rain many people might not. But I would rather take a little bit of a warmer summer and spring than cold winters with snow and ice.

For the non Miami tropical climate believers take a look at this map. Look at Southeast Florida Coast line. It consist of Aw and Am climates A stands for tropical
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Koppen_Map.png

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
No FlyMia, I would say Miami is tropical,it has a different feel and look than any other subtropical cities north of South Florida.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Miami is definitely Tropical and NYC is definitely Subtropical.

Tropical - No monthly average (high + low) goes below 64F.

Subtropical - No monthly average (high + low) goes below 32F.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
No FlyMia, I would say Miami is tropical,it has a different feel and look than any other subtropical cities north of South Florida.
and smell...

Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Wow, this is a tight race! I thought NYC was going to start pulling ahead, but Miami just took the lead back!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Wow, this is a tight race! I thought NYC was going to start pulling ahead, but Miami just took the lead back!
Exactly, I guess not everybody completely HATES hot weather, and not everybody completely LOVES cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City