U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 104 47.49%
MIAMI 115 52.51%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,362,023 times

Advertisements

Being Miami is 2 degrees above the Tropic of Cancer and nutation causes fluctuation in the earths tilt which can cause tropic zones to shift north and south Miami is at times within the Tropic Zone but the weather is very near tropical the majority of the time anyway.

Lines on a globe are just a that, lines. They do not determine weather patterns the jet stream has alot to do with weather patterns and that also shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,361,751 times
Miami is nice year-round. Summer isn't too hot, winter doesn't get cold. The average daily high in June and July is only 89 ... which is not bad. What I'm reading says that Miami has NEVER recorded a temperature over 100 degrees. I've been down several times in July, for weeks, and it was great every time.

New York seems like it would move toward the seasonal extremes. While it would be nice to have more seasonal variation, I'm not real crazy about long stretches of cold weather.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,670,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Miami is nice year-round. Summer isn't too hot
Are you being serious.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,361,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Are you being serious.
Yes, I am. Miami has never recorded a temperature above 98. In the southeast U.S., summertimes are much cooler near the ocean.

The climate I am used to is also humid, and has recorded temperatures of 107 in June, July, and August, and temperatures of 101 in September and October, as well as having higher average daily highs for May, June, July, August, and September, than Miami.

Believe it or not, not everyone sees the world through the lens of New Jersey.

Last edited by le roi; 10-22-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,985,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Yes, I am.

Believe it or not, not everyone sees the world through the lens of New Jersey.
Thats a good one,actually I smelled parts of New Jersey.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM

7,875 posts, read 9,671,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Thats a good one,actually I smelled parts of New Jersey.
That's a very small area that smells (it doesn't even smell all the time) so it doesn't represent the whole state. I wonder where that sulphur smell comes from though.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,395,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's a very small area that smells (it doesn't even smell all the time) so it doesn't represent the whole state. I wonder where that sulphur smell comes from though.
I think it has something to do with the refinery process?

All I know is that it is VERY strong along the Turnpike near Newark Airport.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,509,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gyro View Post
It's perfect b/c you dont live down here. So you dont really know what it's like to live down here with the 7-8 months of constant heat and humidity. Am I wrong?
While that IS true, I don't doubt you, BUT it's the same vice versa. The same people in FL who HATE the heat and humidity are gonna be the FIRST people to fold when they go a little further up north and experience the "beauty" of freezing cold weather. I've seen it 1st hand with family members, and it happened to ME personally. And when I say up north, I'm just speaking about when they go to GA and NC, imagine when they go to NYC.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM

7,875 posts, read 9,671,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gyro View Post
I was actually asking Infamous. My "Am I wrong?" was asking him (Infamous) if I'm wrong about him not living in FL (ever) so he may nt know what it's actually like to live in the heat and humidity. Yes, everyone likes different temps, but as shown on my poll I started the other day regarding "perfect temps" most people like 72 -77 degrees, not 88 or 45.
Actually I haven't lived in Florida but I have been there plenty of times in the middle of the Summer, I know what the heat is like down there, and I've felt heat indexes of 120+ in the Mid-Atlantic as well (NYC, LI, Philly, PA, MD, DC, etc.) so there's no real difference to ME except that the heat lasts longer. FL heat is nothing I haven't felt before.

Lol in the poll you made I was the only one who voted for 95 degrees.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,985,114 times
I believe the weather in South Florida is good for the elderly people,before South Beach was turned into a hip-hop young wannabes type area it was the Octagenerian League where you drive by the now Art Deco area and see the retirees sitting out front of their hotels getting some sunshine. The heat is probably good for arthritis and other ailments.

Last edited by noland123; 10-22-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City