U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 104 47.49%
MIAMI 115 52.51%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Yes, the Americas have varying because there are many less pure Natives, but look at Africa where the opposite is true.

Lack of food also adds to the size of a person, however, the people of Africa are leaner, thinner, skinnier than their European counterparts.

You chose one group, an exception, most aren't short. The further North you go, the whiter the population gets, but the Inuits are fairly dark. Why? Lots of vitamin D in their diet. You don't base things off of outliers.
The Mbutsi are in Africa. Many of the tribes in the Pantanal in Brazil are short in stature also and there has not been much of an outside influence. Many are still living as they did hundreds of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,993,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The Mbutsi are in Africa. Many of the tribes in the Pantanal in Brazil are short in stature also and there has not been much of an outside influence. Many are still living as they did hundreds of years ago.
Once again, you are using people that comprise a small percentage of the population.

It's simple, people in Africa and Central and Southern America are built to take the cold. So it doesn't matter about A/C when they were built for that.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 AM

13,160 posts, read 12,313,202 times
So what does all of this mean?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So what does all of this mean?
As we all know, the United States is mainly White.

Mike was talking about how many of the people in areas where it gets hot don't have air conditioning. I pointed out that the people in those areas have bodies that are built for the heat so comparing them is not the same.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
As we all know, the United States is mainly White.

Mike was talking about how many of the people in areas where it gets hot don't have air conditioning. I pointed out that the people in those areas have bodies that are built for the heat so comparing them is not the same.
Oh I see. If you were raised in a certain area, your body will adapt to the weather of that area. Hence some of the Northerners complaining about the warm weather in the warmer states(FL, TX, CA, AZ, ect). And Vice Versa for the Floridians that have moved to the colder Southern states(FL to NC, VA, GA, ect).

Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 AM

5,643 posts, read 3,734,089 times
I had central air, and heat, in an apartment building in Gainesville in 1971. My family is from southern Italy (Naples and Sicily). My Mom and Grandma both couldn't stand the heat. Maybe that was one of the reasons why my ancestors left Italy and migrated to NY?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had central air, and heat, in an apartment building in Gainesville in 1971. My family is from southern Italy (Naples and Sicily). My Mom and Grandma both couldn't stand the heat. Maybe that was one of the reasons why my ancestors left Italy and migrated to NY?
Possibly.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Oh I see. If you were raised in a certain area, your body will adapt to the weather of that area. Hence some of the Northerners complaining about the warm weather in the warmer states(FL, TX, CA, AZ, ect). And Vice Versa for the Floridians that have moved to the colder Southern states(FL to NC, VA, GA, ect).
That is true, but I was more getting into the evolutionary side of it such as Africans have wider noses because it allows them to take the hot air in and cool them down.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
That is true, but I was more getting into the evolutionary side of it such as Africans have wider noses because it allows them to take the hot air in and cool them down.
I see. How we evolved and adapted.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,448,278 times
Quote:
Once again, you are using people that comprise a small percentage of the population.

It's simple, people in Africa and Central and Southern America are built to take the cold. So it doesn't matter about A/C when they were built for that.
Actually I gave examples of people that were native to those regions that did not fit your predetermined physical stature.

Africa and South America have cold climates as well as warm climates and there are tall and short people in each of those climates.

How much travel have you done to any of these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City