Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM

136 posts, read 235,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
In order of best to worst for your situation:

1. Toronto
2. San Francisco
3. Pittsburgh
4. Chicago

Don't go to Chicago. Terrible economy, and no jobs right now.

Haha, dementor/Osito57, the Chicago hater troll is back! How have you not been banned?

To the OP:

I would recommend Chicago for your situation, though, due to the terrain, the outdoor activities are somewhat limited compared to San Francisco. But if you are talking about 'horse riding', you can do that pretty easily in the area.

I do not think you could go wrong with Chicago, San Francisco, or Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
Haha, dementor/Osito57, the Chicago hater troll is back! How have you not been banned?

To the OP:

I would recommend Chicago for your situation, though, due to the terrain, the outdoor activities are somewhat limited compared to San Francisco. But if you are talking about 'horse riding', you can do that pretty easily in the area.

I do not think you could go wrong with Chicago, San Francisco, or Toronto.
I think a young 20yr old female could go VERY wrong when her skin pigment could result in grevious harm in half the city.(no matter what it is)
Chicago is a dangerous place,esp, for a someone from another country.
And Yes,I lived there and didn't hate it, but to say its not dangerous is untrue.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 PM

71 posts, read 189,808 times
^^^ That is offensive.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I think a young 20yr old female could go VERY wrong when her skin pigment could result in grevious harm in half the city.(no matter what it is)
Chicago is a dangerous place,esp, for a someone from another country.
And Yes,I lived there and didn't hate it, but to say its not dangerous is untrue.
When did you live there? Did you know that San Francisco has a murder rate nearly the same as Chicago? And nearby Oakland is even higher than the two.

Sure, Chicago has some rough areas on the South Side and West Side, but why would she ever be venturing over there? She'll probably be living on the North Side, which is plenty safe, because that is where she will find the most things to do. And like any city, if you keep your wits about you, you will be fine!

I lived in Chicago for 4 years as a white man, and I am still alive! Never mugged! In fact, I never met anyone who had a violent act committed on them!

And if she were to move purely based on how dangerous a city is, Toronto would win hands-down. It's not even close. But we all know, "dangerous" is a very relative term. And with these cities, it isn't too much of a concern. Though, it should be a consideration when she decides what neighborhood to live in once she has chosen a city.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
When did you live there? Did you know that San Francisco has a murder rate nearly the same as Chicago? And nearby Oakland is even higher than the two.

Sure, Chicago has some rough areas on the South Side and West Side, but why would she ever be venturing over there? She'll probably be living on the North Side, which is plenty safe, because that is where she will find the most things to do. And like any city, if you keep your wits about you, you will be fine!

I lived in Chicago for 4 years as a white man, and I am still alive! Never mugged! In fact, I never met anyone who had a violent act committed on them!

And if she were to move purely based on how dangerous a city is, Toronto would win hands-down. It's not even close. But we all know, "dangerous" is a very relative term. And with these cities, it isn't too much of a concern. Though, it should be a consideration when she decides what neighborhood to live in once she has chosen a city.
Eh, SF's murder rate is still lower, and its overall crime rate is nowhere near Chicago's. But on the general point, I agree: stay out of neighborhoods where you have no business being and your chances of coming into harm in either city shrink rather considerably. I mean, we're talking to a girl from Britain here; if you can navigate your average British city without getting your face kicked in, you should be able to handle a manageable city like Chicago.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eh, SF's murder rate is still lower, and its overall crime rate is nowhere near Chicago's. But on the general point, I agree: stay out of neighborhoods where you have no business being and your chances of coming into harm in either city shrink rather considerably. I mean, we're talking to a girl from Britain here; if you can navigate your average British city without getting your face kicked in, you should be able to handle a manageable city like Chicago.
Yes, as of 2007, San Francisco's murder rate was 14 per 100,000. Chicago's was 16 per 100,000. Oakland's was 30 per 100,000.

I bring Oakland up because it is only a few miles from San Francisco. Chicago is a larger geographical area than SF. You are just as far away from "rough areas" in the North Side of Chicago, if not further away, as you are in the nicer parts of SF. The North Side of Chicago is, in general, a very safe area by U.S. city standards.

Both cities have their rough areas, but these areas can be avoided with ease. You could research each city 5 minutes and have a general idea where not to hang out by yourself at night. I just don't buy Wingfoot's "dangerous" argument for Chicago, especially when in comparison with Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

I don't think a "dangerous" argument could be made for any of the prospective cities for this Brit. As long as she doesn't move to the impoverished ghetto part of these cities, she will be fine.

I love Chicago, San Francisco, and Toronto. I think they are 3 of the greatest cities on Earth. She really couldn't go wrong with any of those.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
^^ I think she would be fine in Pittsburgh too. In fact that was my recommendation.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
^^ I think she would be fine in Pittsburgh too. In fact that was my recommendation.
Yeah, I am sure she would be. I guess I am just letting my biases for the other 3 cities show. The other 3 cities have a much more vibrant feel about them. It helps they are all much larger.

Pittsburgh is a nice little city, with a much lower cost of living. Though, IMO, it is not as exciting as the other 3.

My preferences are for the more cosmopolitan, vibrant, large cities with heaps of cultural amenities. But to each their own. Whether she will enjoy her time over here is dependent first and foremost on her. A city can provide some opportunities, but it is up to her to make the most of everything.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
2007 Murders
Chicago 598
San Francisco 69
London 151
Toronto 78

Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
2007 Murders
Chicago 598
San Francisco 69
London 151
Toronto 78
Where did you get those numbers? Those numbers look like they are from 2003, not 2007. Since 2003, Murders have increased in San Francisco, while declined in Chicago.

Here are the actual numbers for 2007:

Chicago 442 (Population: 2.853 million)
San Francisco 98 (Population: 0.808 million)
London 168 (Population: 7.556 million)
Toronto 84 (Population: 2.503 million)

I put the populations of cities to clear up some misconceptions that may be had (The population estimates for Chicago and SF were from 2008). Murder rates would be a more accurate indicator, as not all cities have the same population.

If we went by murder rates, from safest to least:

1.Toronto (3.1 per 100,000)

LARGE LARGE GAP

2. San Francisco (14 per 100,000)
3. Chicago (16 per 100,000)
4. Pittsburgh (17 per 100,000)

The disparity is more of a testament to the nature of American cities. However, I do not think these numbers should dissuade someone from coming to the US for 8 months. The murders in these cities tend to be very localized, and in areas that the OP would never be venturing anyways unless she was looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City