Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Manhattan vs San Francisco
Manhattan 253 66.58%
San Francisco 127 33.42%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Kava Trees are so pretty, did you protect it with mulch and something to warm it like Christmas lights? Upper Nyack is colder than NYC (it may even be considered another climate because of that).
I know. Its just over here I don't need to do any of that.

If and when I finally ever move to Queens I'll be sure to try the things u mention.

Or just plant roses. My neighbor in Upper Nyack had the most amazing roses I've ever seen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Say WUT?
I know...very funny.

Manhattan may be the center of the civilized world but wine and fine food in the Bay Area is a way of life like nowhere else in the US I know of.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 AM

65 posts, read 97,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Say WUT?
IMHO, Manhattan is the center of the civilized world. Reminds me of a quote from that movie Family Man that I was watching the other night;

*smug faced Nicholas Cage*

"New York is the center of the universe. If I were living in Roman times, I would live in Rome, where else? And today, America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself"

LOL.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:50 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliYork View Post
IMHO, Manhattan is the center of the civilized world. Reminds me of a quote from that movie Family Man that I was watching the other night;

*smug faced Nicholas Cage*

"New York is the center of the universe. If I were living in Roman times, I would live in Rome, where else? And today, America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself"

LOL.
That's why Nicholas Cage lives in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, and you live in Westwood?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:20 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not saying San Francisco doesn't drink excellent wine. Where did I say that? Don't fall into the trap of the ridiculous arguments of this website, which say just because one thing is good, means the other thing sucks. Just because I say they probably demand better wine in New York City doesn't mean I'm saying they don't drink good wine in San Francisco. I'm sure people in San Francisco drink some of the finest wine in the world, but Manhattan is often considered to be the center of Western Civilization, which I would think would demand the finest imports from Napa, France, etc.

You ask: wealth equals taste? Yes, in most cases it does. Whether or not the wealthy have taste is one thing, but they can afford people to tell them what is tasteful.

When I said "pure" wealth of Manhattan, I'm simply referencing the ridiculous amount of wealth which is located there.

Again, I'm not dissing San Francisco...Manhattan is just on its own level.
No doubt Manhattan is on it's own level but when it comes to wine Northern California is on it's own level. No one is drinking the cheap stuff out here especially when we have the countries finest wine at our doorstep. I would think SF would demand the finest wine considering how close it is to Napa Valley. People are pretty hardcore with their wine in this region. It's not uncommon for people to spend their weekends up here wine testing. In fact just spent a friends birthday up in Napa for the day and also celebrated a cousins birthday wine testing in the region a few weeks ago.

Last edited by kcee510; 10-10-2009 at 02:28 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I know...very funny.

Manhattan may be the center of the civilized world but wine and fine food in the Bay Area is a way of life like nowhere else in the US I know of.

Taking what you can get I see

Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Manhattan actually uses their tax dollars to keep their streets clean. San Fransisco uses their tax dollars for homelss, needle exchanges, and salaries for newsom's friends that are in excess of 150k a year. Mean while the city is utterly filthy and grimey, worse than Paris, and paris is gnarly.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 38,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
That's why Nicholas Cage lives in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, and you live in Westwood?
He actually lives in a castle in England. Nicholas Cage sold that Newport Home long ago and his Bel Air home (not BH) is going into forclosure or he owes back taxes or something and it's going to be auctioned off, all his homes in teh USA are for sale... his 15 million dollar apartment in NYC is for sale (or just sold I think). his homes in New Orleans and Rhode Island are for sale. He's having financial problems and mainly stays in the UK! Probably from having too many houses he can't afford! Haha.

Last edited by LA88; 10-10-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA88 View Post
He actually lives in a castle in England. Nicholas Cage sold that Newport Home long ago and his Bel Air home (not BH) is going into forclosure or he owes back taxes or something and it's going to be auctioned off, all his homes in teh USA are for sale... his 15 million dollar apartment in NYC is for sale (or just sold I think). his house in New Orleans and Rhode Island are for sale. He's having financial problems and mainly stays in the UK! Probably from having too many homes he can't afford haha.

Ya, I just looked that up..saw he sold his house in NP for 35 million..maybe he can just narrow it down to New York and the UK instead of the seven or eight homes he had at one time..life, death, and property taxes I guess. California is starting to look a little less happy these days.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
California is starting to look a little less happy these days.
Actually its funny you should say this...

The Bay Area is the only region in the entire State where the majority of the residents are happy with how things are going.

A whopping 70% of Bay Area residents are content with life in California.

Nearly 90% of locals are happy with life in the immediate Bay Area.

Everywhere else is in CA is well below 50%

This is according to the CA Public Policy Institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City