Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 04:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's the thing though. NYC has the high end fashion that draws the scene from all over the world. But that's not the only form of "fashion" IMO. The way someone puts his or her self together regardless of name brand or budget is a testament to their sense of fashion in some form. NYC is far more casual than people realize, and with millennials living on tight budgets, we don't have tons of disposable income. But we manage to dress very presentable with unique fashions every where you look. I'm sorry, but there is nothing fashionable about owning Vineyard Vines gear in every way, shape, form and wearing a pastel polo with khaki shorts and brown boat shoes. You'll find that here, but it's FAR more common in the south. I've lived in both. You'll find camo in NYC and Carhartt and Realtree, but not in the overwhelming amount you will in some cities in the South.
Yep, absolutely. Fashion is about how you put it together. You could be way more fashionable on $30 than someone at $300 if you put things together well. Plus, a lot of the higher end fashion stuff is not necessarily fashionable. Some is, but some isn't. And I'm speaking as a male on this - a lot of that stuff is more about the cut than anything else. I have numerous sweatshirts/long sleeve t-shirts that were not cheap by any means ($150 - $300 each) and I would call only a small percentage of them actually fashionable. Most of them are functional, extremely comfortable, make my body look even better, will last me a long time, etc. However, fashionable it isn't and that's not the point of a lot of these pieces anyway.

Also, as a now former UWS resident (just moved elsewhere), I think the whole "bougie uptown" thing is overblown even. At least in UWS, it wasn't uppity except for in a few small areas. A lot of casual stuff and in the summer guys in short sleeve t-shirts just walking around. Not much going for fashion one way or another. A lot of standard stuff. Upper East Side in some parts and UWS only in a few is probably more of what you mean when you say Uptown. UWS is a bit better known for being more relaxed and less snooty than UES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You have the Triple S??
Nah, Race Runners
Quote:
I think it's really more like an urban/rural divide as to how well people dress on average. But NYC is so large and cosmopolitan that you'll see a bit of everything That being said, NYC very clearly not immune from bad fashion. A large chunk chunk of the population is non fashion conscious inmigrants from Latin America and Asia, for instance. There are also plenty of dorks, hobos, conformists, junkies, etc.

It also helps that NYC is not particularly warm, so people don't dress too "comfortable" year round.
And yeah, that’s true about the urban/rural divide. And from the few years I spent living in suburban South Jersey, I feel like you can throw in suburban in there too. It seems like when you’re just in a car all day, you don’t really see the other people too well, and they don’t see you either so it doesn’t matter what you look like.

One thing I noticed is that it seemed like a lot of people didn’t always dress for the weather when I lived in the burbs. If you’re just in your car all day and you only have to actually be outside for a few quick seconds walking through the parking lot, the cold/rain/snow/whatever isn’t going to bother you too much.

Another thing is that a lot of people don’t even get dressed at all. People will just roll out of bed and get into their cars in their pajamas sometimes if they’re feeling lazy. And then run into the store just to grab something. That’s not something that you see walking around the city.

I think there’s less of a need to dress well when you’re driving in a car all day vs. walking around the city all day and taking the subway with a bunch of other people.
Quote:
Yep! "Urban" fashion of the US has influenced Europe, Asia, and Latin America
I was going to say I think Asia is influencing The West a lot more these days when it comes to fashion. Just as one example: Opening Ceremony in SoHo in NYC is inspired by Hong Kong. And of course the shop is located right by the Chinatown border too.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Nah, Race Runners

And yeah, that’s true about the urban/rural divide. And from the few years I spent living in suburban South Jersey, I feel like you can throw in suburban in there too. It seems like when you’re just in a car all day, you don’t really see the other people too well, and they don’t see you either so it doesn’t matter what you look like.

One thing I noticed is that it seemed like a lot of people didn’t always dress for the weather when I lived in the burbs. If you’re just in your car all day and you only have to actually be outside for a few quick seconds walking through the parking lot, the cold/rain/snow/whatever isn’t going to bother you too much.

Another thing is that a lot of people don’t even get dressed at all. People will just roll out of bed and get into their cars in their pajamas sometimes if they’re feeling lazy. And then run into the store just to grab something. That’s not something that you see walking around the city.

I think there’s less of a need to dress well when you’re driving in a car all day vs. walking around the city all day and taking the subway with a bunch of other people.
I was going to say I think Asia is influencing The West a lot more these days when it comes to fashion. Just as one example: Opening Ceremony in SoHo in NYC is inspired by Hong Kong. And of course the shop is located right by the Chinatown border too.
I would agree about the suburbs too, but it depends really. Because I see a clear difference between how people dress in Nassau or Westchester versus upstate NY. I also think there's a pretty large overlap between NYC and its immediate suburbs. In both places you'll find the hood fashion, the frat bro/finance bro fashion, the rich people fashion, the low income immigrant fashion, etc. I would say that NYC has more hipster fashion and less jock fashion, though.

Old 01-27-2024, 04:57 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Beverly Hills
I think they're the only community in the US I've ever heard of, that took the ridiculous step(if you ask me, I thought our country was founded on freedom of choice? Don't like using that product, then don't use it.....) of banning all cigarette sales(yes even non-menthol cigarettes) and e-cigs in all stores. I would personally vote Beverly Hills as most snobby and snooty, but that's just me.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:53 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think they're the only community in the US I've ever heard of, that took the ridiculous step(if you ask me, I thought our country was founded on freedom of choice? Don't like using that product, then don't use it.....) of banning all cigarette sales(yes even non-menthol cigarettes) and e-cigs in all stores. I would personally vote Beverly Hills as most snobby and snooty, but that's just me.
That’s where weezer wants to be

Old 01-29-2024, 06:13 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Manhattan
Boston
San Francisco
DC/Parts of Inner NOVA
Seattle

...hell, anywhere with Tech

Old 01-29-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I don’t find Austin or much less Raleigh to be very snobby

Old 01-29-2024, 06:32 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t find Austin or much less Raleigh to be very snobby
I feel like they need 10-15 years to marinate.

Lived in Raleigh in 2021. It was pretty down to earth.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I feel like they need 10-15 years to marinate.

Lived in Raleigh in 2021. It was pretty down to earth.
stayed there last year for about 5 months and it was possibly the most down to earth major city I’ve stayed in. I don’t think the tech industry will directly turn it snobby.

I loved how down to earth yet professional it was. A fairly rare mix

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 01-29-2024 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 07:33 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Manhattan
Boston
San Francisco
DC/Parts of Inner NOVA
Seattle

The finance side of tech is where the snobbery and pretentious self importance comes from. It can be nauseating for sure.

The engineers themselves tend to be the opposite, apart from the world domination types. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City