U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,476,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
In pro sports it is the best, but a number of college rivalries might be better

A&M vs UT, UNC vs Duke, OU vs UT, OSU vs Mich, Auburn vs Alabama etc.
Better than Yankees-Red Sox? Dodgers-Giants? Bulls-Knicks? Lakers-Celtics? Bears-Packers? etc?

Every rivalry is the best and most intense, according to fans of those two teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM

13,403 posts, read 14,492,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah, I realize that...I was just saying that the larger assertion to the thread originator is that, in the larger scheme of overall sports, this rivalry is lower on the totem pole.
Well it's not really that low. Dallas/Washington is one of the best rivalries in pro sports. It's one of the top 3 in the NFL. It's right up there with Bears/Packers.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM

4,390 posts, read 5,033,140 times
There is a reason why the Redskins & Dallas are the two richest teams in the world (Excluding Manchester United)! Yes, richer than the Yankees & Redsox! They also have the biggest stadiums and the most intense rivalry even when the teams are down. If you base it on TV ratings, ad revenue, attendance, the other teams do not compare. Both teams have a collection of memorable games, hall of fame players & coaches, plus 8 superbowls and numerous playoff games between them.

The rivalry has history that many of you don't know about. In the 60's Dallas wanted a franchise but was opposed by racist Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. Keep in mind at the time, the Skins were the southern most team in the NFL. There was no Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Bucs, etc...

Marshall marketed the Redskins as "Dixie's Team." So obviously he wanted to keep all the radio money and ads to himself. The Cowboys would be owner, knew Marshall had an affection for the song "Hail to the Redskins," which ended in "Fight for Ole Dixie (now DC)." So he had his lawyer purchase the rights to the song and used it as a bargaining chip for Marshall's vote. DC in the 60's was a very politically and racially charged city. Blacks in the area did not like Marshall because he made it known that he was a racist. The Skins were also one of the last teams to integrate. The Cowboys on the other hand selected black players right from the beginning. Now you have three generations of AA Cowboy fans in DC.

I want to clear up a few misconceptions! I go to games in Dallas every year and there are a bunch of Skins fans in Dallas.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,476,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There is a reason why the Redskins & Dallas are the two richest teams in the world (Excluding Manchester United)! Yes, richer than the Yankees & Redsox! They also have the biggest stadiums and the most intense rivalry even when the teams are down. If you base it on TV ratings, ad revenue, attendance, the other teams do not compare. Both teams have a collection of memorable games, hall of fame players & coaches, plus 8 superbowls and numerous playoff games between them.

The rivalry has history that many of you don't know about. In the 60's Dallas wanted a franchise but was opposed by racist Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. Keep in mind at the time, the Skins were the southern most team in the NFL. There was no Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Bucs, etc...

Marshall marketed the Redskins as "Dixie's Team." So obviously he wanted to keep all the radio money and ads to himself. The Cowboys would be owner, knew Marshall had an affection for the song "Hail to the Redskins," which ended in "Fight for Ole Dixie (now DC)." So he had his lawyer purchase the rights to the song and used it as a bargaining chip for Marshall's vote. DC in the 60's was a very politically and racially charged city. Blacks in the area did not like Marshall because he made it known that he was a racist. The Skins were also one of the last teams to integrate. The Cowboys on the other hand selected black players right from the beginning. Now you have three generations of AA Cowboy fans in DC.

I want to clear up a few misconceptions! I go to games in Dallas every year and there are a bunch of Skins fans in Dallas.
Like I said...it's the most important rivalry in the world TO THE FANS OF THOSE TWO TEAMS. To the rest of us, it doesn't even register.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Deacon you may be right but facts don't lie! Richest teams, biggest stadiums, deepest fan base, most attendance, most revenue, ego maniac owners, most superbowls between them.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,311,105 times
Various teams have appeared in more Super Bowls than the Redskins. MOST teams have been more successful over the last 15 years than the Redskins.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 5,482,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Giants Redskins, Eagles all suck....

The Dallas Cowboys reign supreme. That is the most symbolic figure in Football. All must bow down to the Star.

http://www.xcomment.com/g2/img/438px...1107072248.gif
Nice joke

Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,167,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Well the 'chip wont come this year, but back to back winning seasons is definitely coming this year. As long as the Redskins have Snyder as an owner, and Jason Campbell as QB you all will be the doormat of the NFC East. Snyder IMO is almost as bad as Al Davis in Oakland.....what the hell was he thinking giving Hanyesworth all that money when your O-line is porous as a sponge, and your QB is shaky at best. I wonder how many interceptions Campbell will have this week??? Shall I start the tally?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Chip,

You didn't understand my statement. I said the Redskins & Cowboys rivalry has the most Superbowls among top NFL rivalries. The Redskins have been in 5 superbowls and the Cowboys have been in 8. How many teams have been in 5 bowls? Pittsburgh & SF only come to mind. Show me another top rivalry that has 8 superbowl wins between them. Both teams have been awful to mediocre the last few years. The Redskins have 1 playoff win and the Boys have none since 96. But the rivalry is still tops in the league.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM

5,254 posts, read 4,387,486 times
Default This rivalry..

..is a bit overrated now; it really started when George Allen coached the "Over-the-Hill Gang, and Tom Landry was his counterpart in Dallas. Even NFL fans from other cities took sides in this one, and usually both games every year ( for about 7 years) were televised nationally ( I remember watching them on CBS, with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier at the mikes). Since then, I believe that the rivalry has slowly, but surely, faded. It really doesn't register as much outside the cities of Dallas and DC anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City